Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Mar 2024, 18:37 (Ref:4202148)   #101
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There were times last year I thought IMSA did all they could to avoid the yellow. Times when I was uncomfortable with the debris just sitting there. Laguna Seca springs to mind.

So they are trying to avoid it. But when they do they have this tool. And they have a well defined procedure.
Old 21 Mar 2024, 20:43 (Ref:4202156)   #102
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There were times last year I thought IMSA did all they could to avoid the yellow. Times when I was uncomfortable with the debris just sitting there. Laguna Seca springs to mind.

So they are trying to avoid it. But when they do they have this tool. And they have a well defined procedure.
I admire when IMSA do try to avoid a yellow. It's great. But there's also times they have to throw a yellow (as it's the only tool available to them) for something minor.

A full yellow is great. But there are times a lighter tool should be needed. I'm not saying we should cover Deranis incident under a slow zone or whatever. But yeah some debris from a Mustang that's held together by hopes and dreams. Do we really need to spend the next 25 minutes with procedure when a virtual SC could've worked for that?
Old 21 Mar 2024, 21:25 (Ref:4202160)   #103
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree that Derani’s stalled car needed a SC.

It’s great when the race isn’t interrupted. IMSA are clear on their approach.

I have nothing to add really, other than it will be the same after the next race too! It’s a waste of energy and there is so much other interesting stuff in the sport and the races to get into.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 00:50 (Ref:4202182)   #104
GT3_Fan
Racer

GT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
The Pro class in IMSA is what also needs introducing to WEC, seeing under talented rich people trying to do stuff they cant, well if you think that's great, fair enough, I would rather see top level guys racing properly thanks.

Some of them are very good, but let;s face it, they make a lot of mistakes, cause plenty of yellows in all they drive that can be good, but the endless *****ing about yellows in IMSA, well a fair amount of them are caused by Ams
Sebring has been a race over the years where driving standards becomes a talking point post race frequently (along with Petit). 2014 is a good example of this for those of us who remember that one. But I disagree with this comment just partially. The majority of yellows in IMSA are caused by stalled cars and debris which don't need to be full safety car periods with all the wave arounds and such.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 13:40 (Ref:4202262)   #105
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
IMSA has 2 tools in their box: Full Course Yellow and Full Course Yellow. The first one is always the standard procedure so with all the wave & pass arounds and class splits. Takes forever.

The second one is the short procedure where the pits gets closed, less wave & pass arounds and class splits as result and back to green much faster.

If the second yellow comes within a certain time frame of the first, standard FCY, the shorter version comes out. And so on.

Towards the end, within 30 mins of the checker, the shorter version comes out. The last (?) caution got called with 34 mins left in the race so it was the standard version.

All the teams know exactly what the caution procedures are, IMSA is very consistent in that regard so no surprises when it comes to that. Certainly not satisfying imo but as long as all the involved manufacturers and team agree to it, it'll stay.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 17:17 (Ref:4202298)   #106
GT3_Fan
Racer

GT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
IMSA has 2 tools in their box: Full Course Yellow and Full Course Yellow. The first one is always the standard procedure so with all the wave & pass arounds and class splits. Takes forever.

The second one is the short procedure where the pits gets closed, less wave & pass arounds and class splits as result and back to green much faster.

If the second yellow comes within a certain time frame of the first, standard FCY, the shorter version comes out. And so on.

Towards the end, within 30 mins of the checker, the shorter version comes out. The last (?) caution got called with 34 mins left in the race so it was the standard version.

All the teams know exactly what the caution procedures are, IMSA is very consistent in that regard so no surprises when it comes to that. Certainly not satisfying imo but as long as all the involved manufacturers and team agree to it, it'll stay.
At the very least...very least...how about ALWAYS use safety car procedure "B" in any debris or stalled car situation.