Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2023, 08:56 (Ref:4157877)   #1201
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Simmi, fontaine du jet d'eau as you suggest near place des Jacobins. If you dont have to pay extra money for, I find the museum worth a visit. Le Musée des 24 Heures du Mans, main entry of the track. Only if the 80+ cars displayed place du jet d'eau are supercars as advertised and not LM winners or other rarities. Indeed.
Thanks Gerard (and also James!) for the info.

I'll definitely have a look in the museum too. Tend to visit every other year, but obviously this year is must-see. I'm definitely thinking there could be an element of too good to be true about this display in the town - but even if it's half of what they say it still feels like a no-brainer.
Old 25 May 2023, 09:38 (Ref:4157878)   #1202
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
If we find you tied to a post in the concert area before the razorlight concert we will stop by and say hello but do not expect us to stay and watch the concert with you
Absolutely zero chance.
Old 25 May 2023, 11:27 (Ref:4157890)   #1203
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So as a first timer, what is the biggest tip that you veterans can give? Something that might not be apparent at first?
Old 25 May 2023, 11:34 (Ref:4157891)   #1204
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Sensible shoes, loads of walking to do, get a radio so you can listen to radio le mans, put supplies in your rucksack if it is hot you will need water and if it is wet then some protection will also be required.
Make sure you are watching as the sun rises in the morning a magical time.
Old 25 May 2023, 11:59 (Ref:4157892)   #1205
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everything Simon just said. Don't wear brand new shoes - unless you want blisters. (I've been there). Watch as much of the racing at night as you possibly can. Sleep is completely unnecessary during the race. Definitely have a cap or hat with you and if it is sunny, use sunscreen.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4157893)   #1206
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
So as a first timer, what is the biggest tip that you veterans can give? Something that might not be apparent at first?
Don't ruin your trip by trying see everything. Pace yourself and enjoy what's in front of you.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4157894)   #1207
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I think that being a radio (FM, with headphones/earphones) is pretty much the only insider tip of any worth.

Otherwise, just take your time wandering around the circuit and take it all in - especially the night time action.

Perhaps make the effort to visit one or more of the 'off site' events - eg the drivers' parade, or the classic car meets out at St Saturnin or Chartre sur le loir etc.
Old 25 May 2023, 13:56 (Ref:4157924)   #1208
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As someone once said, at Le Mans from wherever you are, to wherever you want to be, takes 20 minutes. I'd probably extend that to 30 minutes this year.
Old 25 May 2023, 14:03 (Ref:4157926)   #1209
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This may be a daft question, but has the ACO issued more tickets this year and thus allowed for more spectators, or is it the same number but less camp sites? If the latter then it won't be anymore difficult to get around than usual.
Old 25 May 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4157929)   #1210
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
A Peugeot winning the overall classification?
Old 25 May 2023, 14:10 (Ref:4157930)   #1211
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This may be a daft question, but has the ACO issued more tickets this year and thus allowed for more spectators, or is it the same number but less camp sites? If the latter then it won't be anymore difficult to get around than usual.
Fillon has said he expects 300,000. In recent years they have quoted 220000 to 250000 IIRC. Although some of the figures in recent years I haven't really believed.
Old 25 May 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4157933)   #1212
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Right Andrew, last record was in 2017 with 263 500 spectators. It is said that for this year c 300k tickets have been issued and sold, not a single one should be printed/sold. Sorry, Peter, not the answer you're looking for.
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/cult...u-mans-8477377
Old 25 May 2023, 15:48 (Ref:4157943)   #1213
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well tghe last few years have had much lower attendance, 2020 zero, 2021 was limited to 50k supposedly and lasy year was picking up but still much quieter than usua;. This year will be very busy, i think that the new campsites are more than covering the loss of some of the old ones but they are now much further away from the main area,
Old 25 May 2023, 16:01 (Ref:4157944)   #1214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was there in 2019 and as far as I recall, last year was similar.
Old 25 May 2023, 16:49 (Ref:4157947)   #1215
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
@ Simmi: as its often the case, the museum displays many cars its the purpose. If you have the opportunity,ask what the reserve contains they have a huge number of cars to work on.
@bludvl: shoes and socks are more than important, the weather could be sunny and hot. As wisely said above, large hat, sun cream. Mind you that the temperature varainces between day and night are really substancial. Seems obvious at first glance but you'll go from sun burn to freezing in one hour. If ever you know Daytona, mind you it has absolutely nothing to see with LM! Never forget LM is not a permanent track, only one part is not a "normal" road. Enjoy!
Old 25 May 2023, 16:54 (Ref:4157950)   #1216
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed, it gets pretty cold at night, compared to the daytime so a pullover is a must. Last year it got so cold, I woke up with cramp in my legs. This year I'm taking more whisky.
Old 25 May 2023, 17:14 (Ref:4157955)   #1217
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Indeed, it gets pretty cold at night, compared to the daytime so a pullover is a must. Last year it got so cold, I woke up with cramp in my legs. This year I'm taking more whisky.
usually i have enough alcoho; in my system by them to ensure nothing freezes, but yes if there are no clouds to keep the heat in it can get quite cold. But it can get very warm and often just to hot at night to sleep
Old 25 May 2023, 17:41 (Ref:4157962)   #1218
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Dont even think I'm encouraging people to drink alcohol here buuut I wonder what could happen if one day they check the contain of the camel backs!
Old 25 May 2023, 17:59 (Ref:4157968)   #1219
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I was there in 2019 and as far as I recall, last year was similar.
I'd agree, I didn't really notice the crowd last year being smaller at all than in 2019 and earlier.
Old 25 May 2023, 18:01 (Ref:4157969)   #1220
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
We've had some horrendously cold nights over the years. I seem to recall that both 2008 and 2011 were bitterly cold. These days, when sitting in the early hours of the morning at Indianapolis I'll be wearing t-shirt, jumper, bodywarmer and anorak. If it looks as though it will be really cold I have thermal longjohns and extra thick socks in the boot of the car too! I can't remember the last time I felt hot during the night at Le Mans.
Old 25 May 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4157973)   #1221
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'll be wearing t-shirt, jumper, bodywarmer and anorak. If it looks as though it will be really cold I have thermal longjohns and extra thick socks in the boot of the car too!
Do you have a picture? Asking for a friend…
Old 25 May 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4157975)   #1222
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
We've had some horrendously cold nights over the years. I seem to recall that both 2008 and 2011 were bitterly cold. These days, when sitting in the early hours of the morning at Indianapolis I'll be wearing t-shirt, jumper, bodywarmer and anorak. If it looks as though it will be really cold I have thermal longjohns and extra thick socks in the boot of the car too! I can't remember the last time I felt hot during the night at Le Mans.
But ypu keep telling us it will be hot and dry, but some cloud cover at night is always good
Old 25 May 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4157980)   #1223
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Was dry today, sunny 20° daytime, no clouds 12° night. Celcius.
Old 25 May 2023, 20:07 (Ref:4157990)   #1224
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I can't remember the last time I felt hot during the night at Le Mans.
The big thing I didn't realise too when you're up overnight is that it takes your body a long time to warm up again fully in the morning. Even if the sun comes right back out it takes a while.

As others have said: Layers recommended.
Old 25 May 2023, 23:13 (Ref:4157995)   #1225
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
2017 was hot. I can remember waking up early in my tent each morning and each second the sun was up was unbearable.
Closed Thread