Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Apr 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4151230)   #1
SSO
Rookie

SSO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren Racing: The Zak Brown Years

I just finished up the following look at McLaren Racing under Zak Brown. Thoughts and comments?

Zak Brown has been the CEO of McLaren Racing for since April 2018. In his first three years (2018-2020) at the helm, the McLaren F1 team finished 6th, 4th, and 3rd in the Constructors’ Championship. Since then (2021->), McLaren F1 has finished 4th, 5th, and ……. better off not to talk about this year’s performance so far. It raises the question of what changed and what has gone wrong after it looked so promising back in 2020.

The Early Brown Years (2018-2020)
Zak Brown took over as the CEO of McLaren Racing in 2018 at the same time as McLaren moved from Honda engines to Renault engines for F1. McLaren had used Honda power for the previous 3 years and had absolutely disastrous results, including finishing next to last in the Constructor’s Championship twice. The era is probably best summered up by Fernando Alonso referring to the power unit as a GP2 engine (GP2 is a feeder series for F1) in the middle of the 2015 Japanese Grand Prix. The move to Renault power had an instant positive impact and McLaren improved from 9th in 2017 to 6th in the Constructor’s Championship in 2018. 2018 also saw Lando Norris joining McLaren as its test and reserve driver for a year before being promoted into a race seat in 2019. Fernando Alonso left the McLaren team at the end of 2018 and for 2019 & 2020, Norris was paired with Carlos Sainz. The Norris Sainz driver pairing worked well and McLaren improved to 4th in the Constructor’s Championship 2019 & 3rd in 2020. However, during this period, the Racing Team was still bleeding huge amounts of cash and when the McLaren Group got into major financial difficulties with the onslaught of COVID in 2020, a decision was made to spin McLaren Racing off into a financially separate but still majority owned joint venture. A consortium led by MSP Sports Capital became the minority shareholder in McLaren Racing after it committed to invest £185 million (£100 million injected in 2020) over 3 years. This cash injection was expected to fully fund McLaren Racing into 2023.

Brown Part II (2021->)
Like Zak Brown’s first year in charge back in 2018, 2021 would be another year of major changes for the McLaren F1 team. McLaren moved from Renault engines to Mercedes power. In addition, when Carlos Sainz left for Ferrari at the end of 2020, Brown signed Drive to Survive star (the Netflix Docudrama on F1), Daniel Riccardo, to replace him. While Norris continued to develop and finished 6th in the Driver’s Championship in 2021, Riccardo underperformed and finished 8th with the lone season highlight being the win at the Italian Grand Prix. While the Italian Grand Prix was by far Riccardo’s best performance of the season, it’s highly unlikely he would have won the race if Max Verstappen had not decided to park his car on top of Lewis Hamilton’s head on lap 25. If 2021 was a disappoint, 2022 was worse with Norris finishing 7th in the Driver’s Championship and Riccardo 11th. In 2022, McLaren dropped to 5th in the Constructor’s Championship, behind Renault’s Alpine Team whose engines it had dumped in 2021. Riccardo was effectively fired halfway through the 2022 season and Brown cut him a $18 mil. check to not drive for McLaren in 2023. To replace Riccardo for 2023 McLaren signed Oscar Piastri away from Renault’s Alpine F1 Team. The 2023 season has not gotten off to a good start and after only the 2nd race, McLaren Racing announced a reorganization which included the departure of Technical Director James Key. While McLaren did have both cars finish in the points in the 3rd race of the season in Melbourne, only 12 of the 20 cars that started the race made the checkered flag.

Focus and then Lack There of
It appears that the first three year of Brown’s reign at McLaren Racing were very focused on McLaren’s F1 team and driving it forward on the grid. The move to Renault engines delivered immediate performance improvements and the signing of Carlos Sainz, while not flashy, was a solid choice that worked out well. McLaren Racing, after years of bleeding huge amounts of cash, was also put on much more solid financial footing during this period.

With results improving and the McLaren F1 Team seeming to be on the right track in 2020 Brown kicked off his “racing expansion” program with McLaren first joining the US IndyCar Series in 2020 and later announcing that they would enter Formula E in 2022. Extreme E was later added in 2021 for the 2022 season. In 2021, McLaren Racing cemented their involvement in IndyCar by acquiring a 75% share of the Arrow McLaren IndyCar Team. McLaren F1 also switched over to Mercedes engines in 2021, right in time for Mercedes near decade long dominance of F1 to be ending.

A Few Thoughts
In my business career, wherever you have a struggling business, the first thing you do is simplify and focus the operation on the core business, and then keep this focus in place until the business is back in a leadership position. Based on the above, it appears that the McLaren Racing Team did a great job of this early on and made progress but then started chasing shiny objects before the job was done. Stepping back, it looks like someone caught a bit of “Drive to Survive itis” and started making decisions based more on PR value than sound business rationale. While signing Riccardo was a bit of a PR coup at the time and led to a highly complementary Drive to Survive episode on the 2021 Season titled “Ace in the Hole”. A better name for the episode would have been “Two of Clubs” given how the McLaren - Riccardo partnership turned out. A short look back at history would have indicated that signing Riccardo was a high risk undertaking. No driver in the last decade has left Red Bull and then delivered improved results with the new team. Riccardo’s departure after the 2022 season, and the signing of Oscar Piastri to replace him, was another episode that no one emerged from covered in glory. After Renault/Alpine had spent millions developing Piastri over the last several years, for him to suddenly turn his back on the team and sign with McLaren does raise a few questions on his character and sense of loyalty. If he had no issue doing that to Renault, what makes McLaren think he will not do it to them a few years down the road.

On McLaren’s expansion into other racing series, this has to be a significant drain away from the F1 Team in terms of both financial resources and management time. IndyCar has been the most significant of these new racing series entries, and while McLaren does have some heritage in IndyCar, more in fact than Aston Martin has in Formula 1, it dates back to the 1970’s which is hardly relevant for the majority of today’s McLaren fans. In the announcement on McLaren Racing acquiring 75% of the Arrow’s McLaren IndyCar Team, Brown stated “McLaren Racing believes IndyCar will continue to build our brand in North America, serve our expanding US fan and partner base across our racing portfolio and drive long-term value.” I have a bit of an issue buying this as no other Formula 1 Team is involved in IndyCar. If IndyCar is such a great brand building platform, you would think Ferrari, Mercedes, or Red Bull (and Red Bull is involved in everything from Surfing to Stunt Flying) would have gotten involved long ago. In addition, Formula 1, which is rapidly increasing in popularity in the US, now draws an equivalent size TV audience per race to IndyCar. Finally, IndyCar is not a talent source for Formula 1, in fact it’s the opposite, many drivers who have lost their F1 seats end up in IndyCar. On the other two race series that McLaren has entered, Formula E and Extreme E, both are fairly irrelevant in terms of brand building right now as McLaren does not currently sell an electric car or a SUV.

On a final note, Zak Brown challenging Toto Wolff (Mercedes Team Principle) to a boxing match ahead of the Las Vegas Grand Prix is an indication that there is quite a bit of “Drive to Survive-itis” still going around the McLaren Racing Executive suite. As further evidence, Zak also challenged Christian Horner to a race ahead of the British Grand Prix. The race I would actually quite like to see is Zak vs. Toto’s wife (Susie Wolff). My money would not be on Zak.

Summary
McLaren hasn’t won a Constructor’s Championship since Bill Clinton was chasing Monica Lewinsky around the Oval Office (1998) and hasn’t had a driver win the Driver’s Championship since Lewis Hamilton did so in 2008. Based on McLaren’s performance in F1 so far in 2023, both seem as far away today as they were 6 years ago. IndyCar, Formula E, and Extreme E all feel like distractions from what should be the sole focus for Zak and the organization, winning another Constructor’s Championship. Once that is achieved, then expansion might be considered.

Full article and pictures is posted https://karenable.com/zak-brown/
Old 16 May 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4156435)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSO View Post
On a final note, Zak Brown challenging Toto Wolff (Mercedes Team Principle) to a boxing match ahead of the Las Vegas Grand Prix is an indication that there is quite a bit of “Drive to Survive-itis” still going around the McLaren Racing Executive suite. As further evidence, Zak also challenged Christian Horner to a race ahead of the British Grand Prix. The race I would actually quite like to see is Zak vs. Toto’s wife (Susie Wolff). My money would not be on Zak.
been meaning to respond to this for a while, but i have not heard of these challenges being laid down before.

admittedly and ashamedly, would like to see it but would like to see Toto and Horner fight for real even more!

but to your larger point, i agree that while Mclaren under Zak started off with much promise, it has not come close to delivering on that promise and that makes me sad.
Old 23 May 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4157551)   #3
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the funky orange and black livery and change to "MCL" nomenclature in 2017 was Zak Brown's idea? Was Brown around already in 2017, I could have sworn he was? Therefore Brown was also part of the group responsible for taking the decision to drop works Honda engines, pay the circa $50-100m exit clause to Honda, and pick up customer Renault engines (which of course needed to be paid for instead of vice versa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSO View Post
Zak Brown has been the CEO of McLaren Racing for since April 2018.
Old 23 May 2023, 12:05 (Ref:4157553)   #4
SSO
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I thought the funky orange and black livery and change to "MCL" nomenclature in 2017 was Zak Brown's idea? Was Brown around already in 2017, I could have sworn he was? Therefore Brown was also part of the group responsible for taking the decision to drop works Honda engines, pay the circa $50-100m exit clause to Honda, and pick up customer Renault engines (which of course needed to be paid for instead of vice versa).
Zac Brown joined McLaren in Nov 2016 but did not take over as CEO of McLaren Racing until 2018.
Old 24 May 2023, 03:25 (Ref:4157665)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thus far… full of flash and sizzle and promise.. and not a whole lot of dash and speed and winning.

The team appears stronger financially
And has the potential to be stronger technically with the most recent of changes..

McLaren are in the shadows.. not as strong as when His RonNess ran the show, yet not as bad as immediately before he left the building…
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 May 2023, 12:51 (Ref:4157729)   #6
SSO
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Thus far… full of flash and sizzle and promise.. and not a whole lot of dash and speed and winning.

The team appears stronger financially
And has the potential to be stronger technically with the most recent of changes..

McLaren are in the shadows.. not as strong as when His RonNess ran the show, yet not as bad as immediately before he left the building…
Exactly.....they are in purgatory.