Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Mar 2002, 12:47 (Ref:225098)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F3 v F3000 route to F1

We have all read comments here on F3.com and in 'the comics' about F3000 drivers (including the current champion) apparently being overlooked by the F1 teams in favour of F3 drivers (putting aside FRS for the moment)

Two interesting qoutes in this weeks press from Eddie Jordan on why 'they' passed on Justin Wilson and one from Minardi debutant Mark Webber who of course did both F3 and F3000.

EJ's quoted: "He (Wilson) could use a change in the chassis regulations. He's a big lad and that would help him" (on a personal note I did suggest this was the case in another thread, and took some flak for saying it!)

Webber's quoted: "F3000 is a rubbish category and you learn nothing in it" (Wow Mark!)
For his full qoute see Feb 27. Motorsport News, centre spread, 1st col.

My observation is that F3 is half the budget, the cars are up to date more akin to F1 in terms of aero and electronics. On the down side the races are far too short.

F3000 cars are old fashioned, big and heavy to drive, budgets almost twice those of F3. Plus points are long races challenge drivers stamina, and the chance to learn Grand Prix circuits.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 13:07 (Ref:225112)   #2
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, would anyone like to see longer F3 races? - would be interesting.

Last edited by Francesca; 1 Mar 2002 at 13:11.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 17:58 (Ref:225239)   #3
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think F3 races are the right lenght for what F3 is suposed to be. F3000 races are far to short - some are now less than 50 mins in dry weather, they should be aiming for 70-80 mins. The trouble is then they would be too close to F1...but only because F1 races are getting shorter (now 1h35 instead of 1h45). [presumably this is for the sponsors' benefit?
Old 1 Mar 2002, 19:18 (Ref:225290)   #4
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, in the recent past, F3 has proved to be a very good feeder to F1, in that the cars are similar and drivers find it fairly easy to adapt.

I think there is a fundamental error in the traditional 'racing ladder' of F3, F3000, F1 : F3 cars are very different animals to F3000 cars, and sucessful F3 drivers often struggle a little when they move to F3000. Many F3 champions have been lost in F3000, Mario Haberfeld for example. This fact perhaps puts F3 drivers off F3000 a little.

However, with F3000's new chassis, they are attempting to bring the category more in line with F1 and therefore F3, so perhaps the temptation for drivers to try and skip F3000 will pass. F3000 should be a challenge to try a beat a higher class of international drivers, a bit like the Macau Grand Prix. But first it needs to attract the top class drivers, the F3 champions from around the globe, and to do that sucessfully, it needs to lower costs. Being an FIA sanctioned series, I also think a hefty prize fund should be established to help the sucessful drivers on their way. An invitation to the awards ceremony at Monaco and a nice glass trophy are all very well, but they can't be used to entice an F1 team manager to sign you up.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 19:40 (Ref:225316)   #5
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon F3 should widen the inlet restrictor a bit, have longer and a few more international races and then we wouldn't need F3000! Be cheaper and more competitive anyway.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 23:12 (Ref:225465)   #6
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm very anxious to see what the season of F3000 will look like this year, if it's going to be a big thing and all.

While most of you talk a lot about F3, and since I am in Canada, F3 does not have a big impact in my life. The only thing I know about it are from the web. I have to admit I'm a little sad that drivers like Wilson are left out struggling to get a good job while people in "smaller" series like F3 jump to F1 as test drivers and all.

I like to think that F3000 is really the F1-Junior or the ladder series to go to F1.

Anyway, with cars being a lot more similar to F1 this year maybe the big guys circus will pay more attention (if it's not already the case) to F3000 stars.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 17:37 (Ref:230073)   #7
senses
Rookie

senses should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally i think that f3000 should change the way ot works.
more freedon should be given to the teams to change aspects of the car

in f1 you have to work asa team to be sucessful, so if you able to tweak your car better, within your team - you dont have to be THE fastest to win

yea this will allow some of the high budget teasm to succeed more, but less testing time could help to prevent this

f3000 need more entertainment if its really going to make a position for itself

lets hope this years new chassis help

Matt
Old 7 Mar 2002, 18:26 (Ref:230107)   #8
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senses
personally i think that f3000 should change the way ot works.
more freedon should be given to the teams to change aspects of the car

lets hope this years new chassis help

Matt
Io actually like the fact that all teams need to work with basically the same material.

Yes, let's hope the new chassis makes this series more interesting and visible.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 21:02 (Ref:230246)   #9
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry you dont get F3 Dan Flag, it's a bit like your Atlantic, which is where Giles Villenueve came to prominance (if memory serves me).

As regards F3 duration, I attended the 'Masters' at Zandvoort, and SPA last year and enjoyed 45 minutes of racing, where in the UK the races where fast, furious, but too short. Longer races would help F3 drivers to develop their stamina.

My observation is that F3000 drivers fatigue shows up midway through races, mistakes become apparent and the tougher drivers come through.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 21:15 (Ref:230258)   #10
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Rennen
Sorry you dont get F3 Dan Flag, it's a bit like your Atlantic, which is where Gilles Villeneuve came to prominance (if memory serves me).

My observation is that F3000 drivers fatigue shows up midway through races, mistakes become apparent and the tougher drivers come through.
Yes, Gilles did make it big time in Atlantic, in fact, it took until 1996 for someone to break his race winning record. Who else than another guy from his region, Quebec/Canada to beat him. Patrick Carpentier (www.CARTpentier.com) did it with 9 victories in 12 races. By the way, Patrick openly admits Gilles being his idol.

Last edited by DanFlag; 7 Mar 2002 at 21:24.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 18:07 (Ref:230995)   #11
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that to a large extent there are two things governing this.

1) Up until this year at least, F3 cars respond like F1 cars, much more so than an F3000 car, the new F3000 car may adress this.

2) It can be a fashion thing, a few F3 drivers go straight to F1, all the young drivers want to do it, A Renault driver goes straight to F1, Renault grids swamped the next year. If you get a rake of F3000 drivers moving to F1 all in one year, F3000 will get hot for a couple of years.