Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Mar 2002, 19:17 (Ref:229461)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans 2002 - Entry News

The ACO have received 96 entries for this year's race, described as 44 prototypes and 52 GTs. The total number of entries is apparently 20% up on last year.

The following have been "pre-selected", i.e. are guaranteed entries to qualification proper:-

Audi Sport Team Joest (2001 winners)
Audi Sport North America (2001 Petit Le Mans winners)
Pescarolo Sport (2001 winners of Estoril 1000kms in ELMS)
Corvette Racing Gary Pratt (2001 GTS winners)
Corvette Racing Gary Pratt (2001 Petit Le Mans GTS winners)
Ray Mallock Ltd (2001 winners of Estoril 1000kms GTS class in ELMS)
Seikel Motorsport (2001 GT winners)
Freisinger Motorsport (2001 winners of Estoril 1000kms GT class in ELMS)

The full list of the 48 cars to be invited to the Test Day will be announced "in the days following the American (Sebring) race", which will be attended by the ACO's selection committee.

On your mettle for Sebring then lads!!
Old 6 Mar 2002, 19:20 (Ref:229466)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 21:59 (Ref:229595)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame that Bentley or MG are not there. But I'm sure the PQ will be a cruise.

SL
Old 6 Mar 2002, 22:24 (Ref:229618)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sincerely hope so! I think the ACO are clever enough to realise the sense in making sure that both Bentley and MG make it to qualification proper.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 23:04 (Ref:229639)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I notice that David Legangneux updated his "potential" entry list for Le Mans 2002 on 23rd February -

http://lmspm.ifrance.com/lmspm/24auto02/engages.htm

I see the page highlights the ACO's 8 "invited" teams/cars (although he probably could have guessed them from the previous results). I've just counted up the cars on his list and he has only 76. It would be interesting to know who the other 20 are that he doesn't yet know about!!

Worth keeping an eye on the official ACO site to see if we can spot a full run down of the 96 entries.

http://www.lemans.org

If anyone sees it before me, do tell!!
Old 6 Mar 2002, 23:21 (Ref:229647)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lets see how many posts I can get in here before someone else nips in......

My French is appalling. I read the following on David Legangneux's page:-

"La perspective de voir des YGK en GTS semble desormais plus que douteuse..."

Do I take that to mean that the GTS version of the YGK is now as good as abandoned for 2002?

Mind you, the apparent lack of activity on the LMP900 front makes me wonder about that version of the YGK as well.....
Old 7 Mar 2002, 09:20 (Ref:229811)   #7
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would certainly be nice to find out the entire 96 car entry list, but in the last few years I don't remember the ACO releasing it. Someone above mentioned PQ (pre-qualifying). Unfortunately that isn't what it is anymore, the ACO will simply pick 48 cars (less the automatic entries above) with maybe a couple or three reserves for the test day, and that'll be that. Personally I'd like to see, an automatic entry for some, a selection of invites and the rest to be decided on times at the test day with everyone in with a chance.

Mike
Old 7 Mar 2002, 12:28 (Ref:229915)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Strangely enough Mike, about 3-4 years ago (I think), the ACO sent me the full entry list, prior to the decision of who to invite for pre-qual. I've no idea why - I didn't ask for it - but it was probably the most welcome piece of unsolicited mail I've ever had! Sadly, they've never done it since......
Old 7 Mar 2002, 21:20 (Ref:230265)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thursday's Odds 'n Sods

Le Mans entry odds 'n sods:-

The Mazda-powered WR will be driven by Yojiro Terada (surprise, surprise!), Jim Downing (no surprise there either) and John Fergus.

Graham Nash Motorsport (GNM) will be the Saleen's factory representative at Le Mans, receiving "technical assistance" and a factory driver. The likely line-up is said to be Ron Johnson, Ian McKellar and Tommy Erdos. The factory link-up is thought to give the team a better chance of a place among the lucky 48.

The Race Sports Salisbury Morgan Aero 8GT(N) will be driven by British GT racers Richard Stanton and Steve Hyde.

Kristian Kolby has been signed to drive an Ascari KZR-1 at Le Mans (and Sebring, Petit Le Mans and some FIA Sportscar rounds). He will share at Sebring with Ben Collins and Christian Vann.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 18:32 (Ref:231030)   #10
Quattro
Rookie

Quattro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Thought That Bently were entering at least one car this year....with a view to developing there own engine for two entries in the 2003 race
Old 8 Mar 2002, 22:32 (Ref:231224)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When will the actual entry for the race be decided?
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:00 (Ref:231553)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I haven't seen a date mentioned yet, Paul. All I know is that it will be some time after Sebring.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:03 (Ref:231555)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Quattro
I Thought That Bently were entering at least one car this year....with a view to developing there own engine for two entries in the 2003 race
Yep, don't worry,. you should see a Bentley at your first Le Mans.....

I don't know how much you know about the selection process, Quattro (and I don't want to insult your intelligence if you know all about it), but in short, the ACO always receive many more entries than can take part in the race - twice as many this year, in fact - as they can only start 48 cars. If you need to know any more, just let us know and either I or one of the other "resident experts" will give you the rest of the detail.....
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:12 (Ref:231561)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually i wouldn't mind a bit of info on the selection process, if you wouldn't mind.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:38 (Ref:231582)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK Paul, highly abbreviated (and I'll leave others to fill in anything essential I leave out or to correct anything I get wrong.....)

The ACO invite entries in the various classes. This year, the closing date was 22.2.02. As I said before, they received 96 entries, split between protos and GTs of varying descriptions.

This number has to be whittled down to the 48 who are to be invited to May's Test Day. Of course, a few years ago, the ACO used to invite more than 48 to the Test Day (which was known then as Pre-Qualifying or PQ - still is, to many!), leaving several teams with the prospect of failing to get to the race proper in June, if they didn't make it through the Pre-Qual sessions - remember '97 when the first Panoz GTRs made it by the skin of their teeth?).

The previous Pre-Qual arrangement came in for a lot of criticism, although it was probably fairer than the older "reserve" system, whereby a couple of reserves in each class would come along to Le Mans in June, just hoping that someone's disaster would be their ticket to the big race....

Back to the present, the ACO's Selection Committee will have to pick 48 cars from the 96 entries. They intend to do that after Sebring. Bearing in mind that the Test Day is not so far away, they will have to get on with the job p.d.q. (although they will probably have a provisional list sorted before Sebring anyway).

The 48 cars are split between the various classes, LMP900, GTP (tough one that!), LMP675, GTS and GT. I'm really not sure what formula the ACO uses for this.

Eventually, therefore, we should get 48 cars at the Test Day and then 48 turning up for scrutineering in June.

The ACO will normally keep a reserve list in any event, as it's by no means unusual for a team or car to drop out, even between May's Test Day and June.

Anyone else want to add to that?
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:46 (Ref:231593)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Thanks for that, Is there any reason that only 48 are chosen? Didn't there used to be more who had to qualify in the actual qualifying sessions? Or am I getting confused?
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:10 (Ref:231613)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think the 48 was determined in around '94, but there were more starters when I first went to Le Mans, e.g.

1986 50
1987 48
1988 49
1989 48
1990 48
1991 38
1992 28
1993 47

'91 and '92 were obvious exceptions when the ACO were scratching around for entrants.

I haven't checked back prior to 1986.

Cars do still have to qualify and I certainly remember cars and teams failing to make it through official qualifying on the Wednesday/Thursday of race week.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:15 (Ref:231617)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
In my little explanation I forgot to mention one obvious thing (see my first post) that the ACO formally invite a number of entrants to return. These entrants/cars don't have to prove themselves as such at the Test Day. Places go to the previous year's overall winners and class winners at Le Mans, together with Petit Le Mans class winners and, this year, to class winners at the Estoril ELMS race.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 18:27 (Ref:231766)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
96 entries ?

Definitly NO NEWS about the 96 entries on ACO site... I'm angry about this way of communicate...

Unfortunately, there's no news on David Legangneux site either

No illusion : the majors concurrents are known... but what about Dams and the movie ? :confused:
Old 10 Mar 2002, 17:46 (Ref:232282)   #20
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Part of the joy of the ACO selection process is their tradition of giving at least one if not several entries to veeery slow French cars.

So any guesses as to what will be this year's Debora?
Old 10 Mar 2002, 21:57 (Ref:232466)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm sorry Allon, but I shall have to issue you with your first official behaviour warning. It is unbecoming for 10/10ths members to use profanity on the forum. Should you mention the "bloody awful D*****" again, I shall have no alternative but to seek the revocation of your membership.

Old 11 Mar 2002, 07:59 (Ref:232634)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I support...

For me, I support AllonFS point of vew... but I'm not sure ACO let Debora come in this year... too much cars in the entry list !

Ayse, did I lost my credits too ? I'm a little bit affraid by the "insanity warning"

I should be condamned for my missed smilies and spam on the "thread board" either
Old 11 Mar 2002, 12:45 (Ref:232773)   #23
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the full list of 96 isn't published simply because some teams don't necessarily want it known that they entered and were turned away. Wouldn't have thought so though.
Old 11 Mar 2002, 14:10 (Ref:232816)   #24
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Scary stuff Aysedasi! Actually I quite enjoy the Debbie style cars, there is something satisfying about watching Vipers, Vettes even Porkers fly past them. Just so long as serious alternatives aren't kept out as a result.

However I did mean what I said, it is part of the whole package which is Le Mans. These things are part of the enduring charm of the place. Like Mr Boring, the official English announcer who could send you to sleep at 4pm Saturday let alone 3am in the morning!
Old 12 Mar 2002, 18:16 (Ref:233690)   #25
Quattro
Rookie

Quattro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aysedasi,

The explanation on the selection process was appreciated....it's no insult. There are i'm sure lots of quirks about the Le Mans race that you don't come across in normal racing...

I'm going to prove myself as even more of a newbie now! What's this 'Debbie style' cars all about then???