Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 11 Nov 2002, 02:01 (Ref:426077)   #1
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Day - Month - Year

Here in the US, where we do things in a proper and correct fashion, dates are given in a month-day-year format rather than the day-month-year format which seems to be popular in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or where ever it is this site is based. I understand that this is probably a long standing tradition and I certianly wouldn't impose upon you to change the methods with which you are comfortable, but I find it difficult to get my arms around it.

Because of my long and varied experience as a human being I am not confused by your questionable date format when the first number is 13 or greater, but posts made during the first twelve days of the month are difficult for me. I have tried to get used to your date format for about a year and a half without success. When I see 10-11-2002, I think it is October.

I can see five solutions to this problem. There may be others, but I can't think of them right now.

1. Those cultures using the day-month-year format can switch.

2. Ten-Tenths can switch to a 10-Nov-2002 format.

3. Ten-Tenths can make the date user progammable so that I can view dates in the proper fashion and you can view them in your own way.

4. I can shoot myself in the head until I am dead.

5. I can avoid this site before the 13th of the month.

Option number one does not seem workable. There are too many people like myself who would be confused. I can imagine a whole legion of people walking around asking "When did they add all these new months?"

Options two and three require work be done by Ten-Tenths to solve my problem. I like to solve my own problems rather than imposing on others, but I have not been able to solve this problem in a year and a half.

Option number four is a waste of ammunition. If my girlfriend is correct, it would take many rounds before I could expect to hit my brain.

Option number five would depress me.

My suggestion is option 2. It seems fairly simple for both the webmaster and users, and wouldn't spill any blood in my backyard.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 02:22 (Ref:426088)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
No offence intended Arneal, by why on earth should the rest of the world change to the US 'proper and correct fashion'?

A little arrogant don't you think?

So that rules out Option 1 & 2, 3 sounds a little tricky, 4 is a little drastic, and you may not be happy with 5.

Option 6 : Those cultures using the month-day-year format can switch.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 12:34 (Ref:426353)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arneal, this Yank switched to 11 Nov. 02 long ago, as have a good number of people in my profession. I'm offended by 11/11/02, but use it when its required to fill out forms.

Leon Krier, the noted Luxembourgoise Architect uses Roman Numerals for the month. Graphicly, it splits the Arabic numbers of the day and year and avoids confusion between day and month.

I give you Option number 7: 11 XI 02
Old 11 Nov 2002, 13:35 (Ref:426376)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Brit way is clearly the way to go - days obviously come before months and years. Entirely logical. No defence required. No change necessary.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 11 Nov 2002 at 13:35.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 15:08 (Ref:426437)   #5
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see his problem, like Man U played City three days ago on 9/11. It doesn't mean we should call the 9th of November 11/9 just because of a terrorist attack...

If we really wanted to be politically correct, we could use year/month/day. That way it would please the rest of the world in that it would be displayed in a moderately logical order, and the American members would be happy because they'd have the month going before the day.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 11 Nov 2002, 20:20 (Ref:426601)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fail to see what the thread starter is complaining about.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 20:39 (Ref:426614)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to thank whichever senior tek it was who switched to a text version of the month. Much neater way of doing it.

Thank you!
Old 11 Nov 2002, 20:41 (Ref:426617)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
No problem.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 21:07 (Ref:426624)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nicely done, Bravo.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 22:30 (Ref:426670)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I vote that we are all required to use the Mayan Calendar that has 13 lunar months!

Or maybe the Babylonian calendar - that required the addition of an extra month every 3 years.......

Or maybe we could make up a new one.... consisting almost exclusively of Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays - and abolish Mondays totally?

Old 11 Nov 2002, 23:33 (Ref:426708)   #11
Arneal
Racer

Thanks Craig! You have made my life just a little bit easier.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 08:53 (Ref:426892)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Craig, the blue is very hard on my eyes....can we change the name displays to a nice pinky colour?
Old 12 Nov 2002, 22:54 (Ref:427371)   #13
Arneal
Racer

Could you people start spelling 'color' in the proper and correct fashion?
Old 12 Nov 2002, 23:23 (Ref:427392)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Old 12 Nov 2002, 23:28 (Ref:427395)   #15
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that someone is pushing their luck here. Not meaning to downgrade the colonianal's in the new countries but 'colour' is spelt correctly in the age old fashion

Simon
Old 13 Nov 2002, 00:22 (Ref:427412)   #16
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why do americans try to shorten everything such as
Elevetor instead of LIft
Appartment instead of Flat.
Automobile instead of Car
Gasoline instead of Petrol.
He He He.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 09:17 (Ref:427609)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I do, of course, sympathise with anyone who suffers from genetic and cultural deficiencies that mean that they have to brutalise a language in order to use it. But I do believe that the only way we can help these people is to continue exposing them to civilisation and hope some of it rubs off.........

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 13 Nov 2002 at 09:19.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 08:31 (Ref:432052)   #18
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said evilpumpkin.