Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jan 2003, 10:31 (Ref:468283)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McNish favourite for Renault test role.

According to various reports, Allan McNish looks set to remain in F1 after all.

He is named as Renault's favoured choice to be their test driver for 2003. Franck Montangy is rumoured to be in the running for the 2nd test seat. Nothing confimed as yet though.

Renault are believed to be one of the teams signing up to Friday testing, therefore a test driver with F1 experience will be important if they too challenge the top team.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 10:35 (Ref:468288)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Allan will be a job option for Renault, he has alot of experience.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 10:40 (Ref:468291)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now confirmed.

Renault has confirmed that it will participate in the new Friday testing programme and that its test drivers will be Allan McNish and Franck Montagny.
The French outfit issued the following at 09:07 on Thursday:

For the 2003 Formula One season, The Mild Seven Renault F1 Team has decided to take up the option of two hours of testing on the Friday morning of each Grand Prix weekend, as outlined in the Heathrow Agreement of December 2002.

This decision has led the Team to select two test drivers for the 2003 season, Allan McNish and Franck Montagny.

Scotsman McNish, with his proven technical expertise, will be testing alongside official drivers Jarno Trulli and Fernando Alonso during the Friday practice session while young Frenchman Montagny, chosen following an evaluation last month at Jerez, Spain, will be given the opportunity to fully develop his natural promise by testing for the Team on the remaining ten days.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 12:32 (Ref:468364)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
So, does this mean there could be 4 Renaults on the track during testing? 2 race cars and 2 test cars?
Old 9 Jan 2003, 13:05 (Ref:468407)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
The press release implies that Allan will run on Fridays and Franck will run on the remaining 10 test days, but it would make sense to run two cars as often as they can.

ST
Old 9 Jan 2003, 13:59 (Ref:468454)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, that was a bit of a shock. Is Allan hoping to get a race seat in the future?

I suppose it is good to have someone with GP experience to set your car up Friday morning.

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Jan 2003 at 14:00.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 14:48 (Ref:468488)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hes been BenElton test driver before IIRc - in the early 90s methinks.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 16:07 (Ref:468545)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't help but be dissapointed by this. Allan deserves better than a testing role.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 16:26 (Ref:468572)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
I can't help but be dissapointed by this. Allan deserves better than a testing role.
I think he's lucky to get it.

Nice guy, maybe.

Overrated, probably.

Worthy of F1, you must be joking!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 16:49 (Ref:468588)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least he hasn't gone to the IRL (with Audi according to BBC Ceefax!!! Something we don't know?)
Old 9 Jan 2003, 17:45 (Ref:468629)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
One comment though is could it backfire on Allan?

If Trulli and Alonso are running on Friday purely on set up for the race weekend, whereas Allan is running a
test donkey, won't his times look much slower by comparison?

Testing normally involves working through a program of development areas on the car, for example when Gene tests for Williams he is on worksheets of tasks and his times are never even close to the top of the timesheets, because they are not meant to be, they are merely evaluating new parts on the car.

Whereas Allan is very much viewing it as a 'shop window' for him....
Old 9 Jan 2003, 18:14 (Ref:468655)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan is big in endurance. F1 testing is like a walk in the park for him.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:17 (Ref:471346)   #13
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clarify for me - if Alonso or Trulli had a problem during the season (e.g. a serious strain in the wallet region) that ruled them out for the odd race, would Allan get the drive?
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:23 (Ref:471353)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Clarify for me - if Alonso or Trulli had a problem during the season (e.g. a serious strain in the wallet region) that ruled them out for the odd race, would Allan get the drive?
don't think either will Hugh, esp Trulli, do they bring sponsers to the team? However, if one of them were to be injured then i suppose that he's first in line.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:44 (Ref:471362)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lord, Allan!

Get thee to Bentley!
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:44 (Ref:471363)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Don't know about sponsors, but both drivers and managed by big Flav, so he won't let them out of a drive!
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:55 (Ref:471374)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The wallet gag has misfired on me - I was trying to say 'injured' without seeming to wish any hassle for either - because I don't.

So, let's say if a spare seat came up at Renault for a few races, do you reckon Allan would be in line for it, or would they buy in someone else or use a youngster from the RDD programme?

Not having got a seat, that sort of thing must be in the back of Allan's mind as well as doing a decent job on the testing!
Old 11 Jan 2003, 23:15 (Ref:471534)   #18
the_extreme
Rookie

the_extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Lord, Allan!

Get thee to Bentley!
blessings lee
Old 20 Jan 2003, 10:53 (Ref:479812)   #19
cmgoodman
Rookie

cmgoodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan's experience will now be an added advantage for this year, once TC goes away. We may see McNish back on the grid yet.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 10:58 (Ref:479816)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
If Trulli and Alonso are running on Friday purely on set up for the race weekend, whereas Allan is running a
test donkey, won't his times look much slower by comparison?

But all the teams do this with their test drivers, so they (the teams) will know that Allan is doing the donkey work.

My question though, with the "banning" of third/spare cars for this season, will Allan be driving at all over the weekend? after all, if only two cars are allowed and Trulli and Alonso need track time, where does that leave Allan?
Old 20 Jan 2003, 15:08 (Ref:480021)   #21
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
The testxtra session on Friday's will be a seperate test session run by the FIA/FOA and completely seperate to the rest of the weekend, or so I read somewhere a while back - hence the spare-car rule does not apply.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 16:04 (Ref:480070)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could it even be possible that a team in the Friday testing arrangement could take, say, four cars? They could try out loads of different stuff back to back (albeit quicky)... completely different chassis and all sorts... and then put forward whatever they deemed quickest for scrutineering for the race.