Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should Friday Testing be mandatory?
No - Get rid of Friday testing and go back to last years format 0 0%
No - Leave it the way it is now (optional) 9 40.91%
Yes - I like it! 10 45.45%
Yes - But with the following changes........ 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Apr 2003, 03:50 (Ref:569737)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Should Friday Testing be mandatory?

'Flave' has suggested that Friday testing become mandatory for all teams. As far back as 2 years ago he wanted testing available on Thursday & Friday with Zero testing elswhere during the season.

While not a fan of Flave, I do like like what he's saying. The gap between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots' is ever increasing, and while this will never change, anything that slows the rate gets my vote.

If it becomes too difficult, smaller teams will disappear and new teams will shy away from the huge mountain in front of them.

Cutting costs in the order of the day, and with Ron & co *****ing about how much the removal of traction control will cost, surely limited testing would help him.

The teams are at the GP anyway, so if they had extra sessions on Thursday & Friday and 10 days during the season - surely they could get almost as much testing done (pleasing the manufactures) while capping the expense.

Add to this unlimitted testing from January to March, and this should not be an issue for anyone.

More cars on the track is better for the fans and decreased costs.

Why are'nt they doing this again?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 05:44 (Ref:569788)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been a consistent advocate of more testing on grand prix weekends and getting rid of testing during the seasons to cut costs and close the gap.

Flavio has a habit of talking ****, but on this occassion he is completely correct. It's a way for ALL teams to cut costs, because even Ferrari cannot keep up their level of paying out millions for limitless testing.

Eventually, the bubble will burst (has it already?) so it's best for the team to find ways of cutting costs SERIOUSLY.

I think your idea is rather good Wrex. Unlimited pre-season testing during the GP year, but I wouldn't even give the extra 10 days. The two days on the grand prix weekend would be good enough.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 06:32 (Ref:569813)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. Absolutely yes. I don't need to explain why, just read what the two previous posters here have said
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:14 (Ref:569946)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd liek to see them go over to a system of unlimited pre-season testing, then unlimited testing at the track on Thursday and Friday. It'll cut costs and keep the cars even.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 16:08 (Ref:570229)   #5
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, with the following changes:

Mandatory Friday testing is a great idea........but only if they force the camera's to turn up and film it so then we know exactly what each team is up to
Old 15 Apr 2003, 17:11 (Ref:570287)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But there still needsto be time for the teams to develop new parts for their car. Renault choosing this format only tells me that they are about as fast now as they will be all season. Where teams like BAR a trying to catch up. They need the extra time to make the car up to par. Flavio is just saying that because he knows that this year Renault will not go any faster. Where would Benniton/Renault be without the testing they did to get the car to where it is now?