Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:17 (Ref:749912)   #1
paddywic
Rookie

paddywic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen

I'm sure the name brings shakes of rage to most or a few??.. Lets not start a name bashing thread,...

I saw him in Japan, along pit lane as it happens. He really does enjoy F1, but alas, illusum James I must.
I'm sure we would all own up to being nerds if cornered or not, but he thinks he's cool, which really annoyed me.

With honestus intenta, can anyone think of a good fall guy to MB for 2004?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:19 (Ref:749916)   #2
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Herbert!! those two (JH and MB) make me laugh, or have I misunderstood the question?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:20 (Ref:749917)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ben Edwards.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:22 (Ref:749923)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by garagegirl
Johnny Herbert!! those two (JH and MB) make me laugh, or have I misunderstood the question?
We already have Martin as the expert side. I don't think it should be another driver.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Oct 2003 at 17:22.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:23 (Ref:749926)   #5
paddywic
Rookie

paddywic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel Irvine could be good, as I said elsewere, he reminds me of the great Hunt. I just don't feel MB could cope, live fist fights I reckon. Maybe the little scot, he seemed to turn into their pit insider for 2003, he's a good talker.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:43 (Ref:749961)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone who doesn't keep saying "Michael has made that corner his own, no-one's faster through it" When quite obviously, others were and produced quicker times

Last edited by Mr V; 13 Oct 2003 at 17:43.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 18:00 (Ref:749984)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
its so so simple. ben edwards.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 18:45 (Ref:750056)   #8
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ben was ace on sky.

failing that,

Irvine
McNish
Clive James (YES !!!! I do mean it)
Tony Jardine
Clarkson
Tiff

Perhaps a competition for "f1 Idol" to see who should be talking on the box. There is a reality show for everything else
Old 13 Oct 2003, 18:47 (Ref:750057)   #9
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would certainly be a massive improvement
Old 13 Oct 2003, 18:55 (Ref:750066)   #10
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen was cool enough when he was the pitlane man - even if he was obsessed with fuel.

Edwards on mic, Brundle for comment, Eddie for pit walkabout and general trouble-making.
McNish for when Eddie couldn't be bothered.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:01 (Ref:750071)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
We already have Martin as the expert side. I don't think it should be another driver.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Ben Edwards.
Agree. More words of wisdom from Adam!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:04 (Ref:750075)   #12
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Irv the Swerve
Eddie for pit walkabout and general trouble-making.
McNish for when Eddie couldn't be bothered.
Please not Eddie as:
1) He probably wouldn't be bothered very often. Maybe he'd be happy to nip on and off the odd yacht party at Monaco, but that would be about it!
2) Opinions can be good, but I think Eddie's would be just a bit TOO inflamatary...and wrong (Irv shows that the phrase 'there is no such thing as a wrong opinion' can be challenged!)
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:07 (Ref:750077)   #13
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
Please not Eddie as:
1) He probably wouldn't be bothered very often. Maybe he'd be happy to nip on and off the odd yacht party at Monaco, but that would be about it!
2) Opinions can be good, but I think Eddie's would be just a bit TOO inflamatary...and wrong (Irv shows that the phrase 'there is no such thing as a wrong opinion' can be challenged!)
ah krt917, the trick is not to listen, just enjoy the spectacle...
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:09 (Ref:750080)   #14
krt917
Veteran

Ah, right. Got it
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:48 (Ref:750130)   #15
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another vote for Ben Edwards here.

(I`d sooner see David Blaine be MBs fall guy ! - that`s how much Allen annoys me!!)
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:57 (Ref:750137)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, we've tried to replace Mr Allen before and Ben Edwards was pretty much favourite then and he would still get my vote, now!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:17 (Ref:750165)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In a poll of general F1 viewers, I recall Jeremy Clarkson and Tiff Needell coming out on top, mainly because the public knows them and doesn't know Ben. Certainly any poll of enthusiasts seems to put Ben Edwards on top.

Irvine as a commentator would be funny at first - James Hunt, who was very similar, would frequently enliven a dull race with his opinionated rantings, sometimes based on nothign but fiction and prejudice, but soemtimes honest and entertaining. His rant against Apartheid during one South African Grand Prix is the stuff of legends.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:22 (Ref:750166)   #18
krt917
Veteran

James Hunt was great. I don't think Eddie would be quite so good as he lacks a certain....intellectual capacity, by comparison. Oh, and he wasn't even in the same league as Hunt when it came to driving!

Last edited by krt917; 13 Oct 2003 at 20:23.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:32 (Ref:750179)   #19
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
James Hunt was great. I don't think Eddie would be quite so good as he lacks a certain....intellectual capacity, by comparison. Oh, and he wasn't even in the same league as Hunt when it came to driving!
I think he would surprise you krt917. I don't think he lacks intellectually (shrewd businessman is eddie). Maybe in terms of outlook he is not as much of a hippy as James Hunt in terms of money, but brain wise I think he is reasonably in tact. Only thing is though, I can't see Eddie enlivening a dull race with a rant. I can see Eddie running for the nearest helipad at the mere prospect of a dull race!

Anyway, well are all misssing the point here.
The point is - just what has Ted Kravitz got to do to get a little recognition around here?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:36 (Ref:750184)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Realise when DC comes into the pits 25seconds after Rubens it isn't a battle of the pit crews!

Ted is OK, I prefer him to James in the pit lane. He does need to learn that some pit stops are longer than others even if they put the same amount of fuel in (to be fair this could be due to the limited time he has to talk).
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:41 (Ref:750188)   #21
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Excluding Ben Edwards, who would you people vote for. I can't agree more that he's the best for the job, but he's doing a fine job on the BTCC and unlikely to be moved as ITV like him there, so we need a second commentator (not expert/driver) who could practically be considered as well.
Martin Haven perhaps?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:54 (Ref:750195)   #22
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
clarkson always gets my vote i love him!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 21:49 (Ref:750250)   #23
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with darcym Clive James would be the best if you could get him away from the cricket.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 21:54 (Ref:750257)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Kravitz would be better off going back to making records...
Old 13 Oct 2003, 22:26 (Ref:750287)   #25
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet another Ben Edwards fan here. The guy exudes enthusiaism for the process of racing rather than tactics and fuel levels and he is informed and credible.

The BTCC could afford to lose him and replace him with someone more appropriate from stock car racing. Just a shame that Eddie Waring is no longer with us.

David Hobbs might be an alternative. He does a great job on TSN. I know he was a driver, but long enough ago not to chip in with his experiences

Last edited by johnw; 13 Oct 2003 at 22:35.