Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2004, 08:35 (Ref:863699)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld's Ambition

Its nice to hear that Nick Heidfeld is arise from his silent and outspoken about his ambitions. He wants to be world champion. Yes, the WDC!

'If I drive well then I might be with a top team next year,' he said. 'My aim now is the same as it has ever been - I want to be world champion one day.'

http://www.f1i.com/articles/ARTICLE_550897.html

So, does he deserves to be top driver in top team?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 08:39 (Ref:863705)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As he correctly pointed out, he has to drive well, I mean, He still has to show it.
It's true that when Kimi was preferred by Macs-Merc, Nick's performances on that Sauber had been a bit better, so he could have been picked as well.
But luck is a strange mechanism, and he was out.
For now I can say that when he had an acceptable car (never had a very fast one indeed) he proved good, but not really excellent.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 09:53 (Ref:863765)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think he's a good signing for Jordan, but probably not a future WDC.

After only a few seconds thought, I recon that most recent WDC's manage to get a top drive very early in their career (Schumi, Senna, Hakkinen, Hill, Villeneuve, even Mansell).

Using my powers of prophecy, I rekon that of the current crop, the most likely possible future WDC's will come from the following list: JPM, Raikonnen, Alonso, Ralf S?, Trulli?, Webber? Rubens? Button?

With the exception of Webber and Rubens (whose future WDC aspirations seem to depend on his teammates fitness/career plans), all these drivers got a top drive very early in their career.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 10:40 (Ref:863804)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
What about his performance in Sauber last year compare with H-HF?

I think his performance was a bit dispoinment. He draw in qualifying (8-8), and outscore by 'Old Frentzen'.

http://www.formula1.com/archive/driv...003/16/64.html
http://www.formula1.com/archive/driv...003/23/64.html

So, he must beats his Jordan's team mate (Jos?) in dominant style to impress top F1 boss like Frank Williams.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:37 (Ref:863875)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Once you look at 2003 in detail, it paints a different picture of the Heidfeld/Frentzen duel. HHF was greatly aided by his rather lucky results in the US and Brazil (in the latter of which, what should've been a tactical error was made good by the rain, and Heidfeld stopped on the first lap when he could've done just as well. For most of thge season HHF was anonymous whereas Nick charged through the field in Nurburgring, was unlucky in Austria and didn't do anything silly like crashing on lap 1 at Monaco or breaking the gearbox at the start in Malaysia.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:18 (Ref:863918)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heidfeld has always driven well. If fate had turned another way, HE'D be in a McLaren instead of Kimi....

All I can hope for this year is that he absolutely annihilates his team-mate (whoever it is) and grabs some headlines with some top-notch drives.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:31 (Ref:864092)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ditto, Ozman.

In Canada, Nick's drive went largely unnoticed, but to my eyes that day, he was driving with more heart and skill than anyone else. Too bad the car was such a pig.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:19 (Ref:864139)   #8
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In Canada, Nick's drive went largely unnoticed
Thats Nicks problem, he just doesn't grab the headlines. He could really do with a fast, established, highly reguarded team mate so that when he beats them he gets noticed. Otherwise, he could sink further into anonymity this season...
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:25 (Ref:864147)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But if he isn't consistently and overwhelmingly beating a teammate who isn't so highly regarded, or a rookie, what does he think will happen when he is paired with someone highly touted?

I like Heidfeld, but I'm not sure he really is WDC material. A steady, fast driver perhaps. WDC special? NO.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:43 (Ref:864232)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least he's speaking up, and thats an improvement over his utter silence and invisibility, over the past seasons.

I have abit of a problem though, with a driver that just signs with a team, and is already telling everyone that he'll be ready to move on next year. That seems to be stricly an F1 phenomonen, as I never see that happen anywhere else in the sports world. Tell me, and then show me, how well your going to drive that Jordan first, then talk about moving on.

Seems abit insulting to Eddie.

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:17 (Ref:864268)   #11
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree he may as well say " Cheers eddie, ow i can sign a williams ohh yea you saved my ass there nice one seya later"
Eddie" What No pint?"

Nick needs to tread carefully although he does have pace
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:18 (Ref:864269)   #12
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Once you look at 2003 in detail, it paints a different picture of the Heidfeld/Frentzen duel. HHF was greatly aided by his rather lucky results in the US and Brazil (in the latter of which, what should've been a tactical error was made good by the rain, and Heidfeld stopped on the first lap when he could've done just as well. For most of thge season HHF was anonymous whereas Nick charged through the field in Nurburgring, was unlucky in Austria and didn't do anything silly like crashing on lap 1 at Monaco or breaking the gearbox at the start in Malaysia.
Well, when you look at 2003 in detail, maybe.... When I do, I see excellent tactical decisions and superb drives at both Interlagos and Indy. He made a mistake in Monaco, yes, but that's about it. (His gearbox may have broken but I don't see how you can include that). And he had his share of bad luck, too - he was on target for a good finish at Monza when his car died on the last lap.
I think Nick is excellent and deserves his place and could win a WDC in the right car but H2F had a slight edge.

Last edited by santori; 5 Feb 2004 at 17:21.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:40 (Ref:864288)   #13
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by santori
I think Nick is excellent and deserves his place and could win a WDC in the right car but H2F had a slight edge.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. Looking back at the results, I really think that Frentzen had a genuinely better year. Indy was a good example. I think Nick's excellent and a great choice for Jordan, but I also think Frentzen was, and still is, a better driver.

As for his anonymity, it looks as though Jordan are pushing him into the limelight a bit further than Sauber did, which has to be good for both. Sauber was maybe a poor fit for him, resolutely mid-field and pretty anonymous themselves. Where's the wild ambition, Peter?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:33 (Ref:864346)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, there was no winner in the Nick-Heinz Harald match, and no loser either. I think they both did pretty well to score a few points with that car, especially earlier on.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 09:48 (Ref:875522)   #15
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
I hope Nick Heidfeld will perform well in Jordan in impress top F1 boss.

And, here is story about Nick 'Unluckies" Heidfeld.

http://www.motorsport.com/magazine/f...o&D=2004-02-03