Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1252784)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Engine rule clarified?

It seems that teams will now have to prove they have a problem with their engine if they retire their car from a GP as BAR did.www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14398.html
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1252798)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely they can create a 'self destruct' button then if they're 9th and want a new engine ?
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1252804)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Surely they can create a 'self destruct' button then if they're 9th and want a new engine ?
I'm sure they can and will.

Last edited by Marbot; 15 Mar 2005 at 19:55.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1252810)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It is not clear why the clarification has been deemed necessary.
Because Ferrari said so?
Nah, too cynical...

Or not?

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Mar 2005 at 20:08.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1252817)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to see an actual source or quote from someone on this. Only then can we understand this in context.

I've seen nothing elsewhere and no quotes. Apart from a story that Toyota are agsinst it, but that is not the source of this.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Mar 2005 at 20:08.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1252863)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely there's nothing to prevent drivers 'accidentally' over-riding a rev limiter, or teams programming something to let them disable it at a pitstop (emergency stop 2 laps from the end due to (fictitious) rising engine temperatures?).
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1252874)   #7
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
o course they are going to take full advantage of these new rules, they will probably start having a switch to switch of the oil supply, pump etc
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1252875)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Again there is no indication that anything has changed apart from grandprix.com speculating. Until we here something from the FIA or other relevant source we can't begin to speculate what this will change, if anything. As I said Toyota are complaining, but that is it at the moment. This may change: http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&...engine+rule+f1
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1252895)   #9
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blown engines backfire on the manufacturer. Mercedes had quite a bit too listen to the last couple of years. "Silvertorches" are only one of the many nicknames they have gotten. So I doubt that a manufacturer would be willing to go that route. They would either be branded as cheaters or as bad engineers (or both).
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1252906)   #10
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the problem with the way BAR have interpretated the rule.

Sure they have nice new engines in Malaysia, however when everyone else has new engines in Bahrain BAR will have used ones so they are at a supposed disadvantage there.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1252981)   #11
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
but in the same boat as schuey as he had a dnf, so now there is a heigh possibility that rubens will have it a race before the number 1 driver!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1253129)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schumacher will not use a new engine in Malaysia.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1253170)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I ddin't know that, I just assumed he would. So can we read anything thing into that which affects the introduction of the F2005? It is coming in after a even numbered race and both of them are getting it?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1253217)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA Press Release.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...160305-01.html

2005 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
CLARIFICATION: TWO-RACE ENGINES

“Each driver may use no more than one engine for two consecutive Events. Should it become necessary for a driver to use another engine he will drop ten places on the starting grid at that Event and may not use another engine until the end of the next Event. Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first of the two Events may start the second with a different engine without incurring a penalty.”

The purpose of including the final sentence in the first paragraph of Article 85 of the 2005 Formula One Sporting Regulations was to ensure that if a driver failed to finish the first of two races he would not be penalised in the second if the engine was changed, the principle being that failing to finish a race was sufficient penalty.

As a result of what happened on the last lap of the race in Melbourne a distinction will now be made between failing to finish and choosing not to finish, the former is normally accidental or beyond the control of the driver while the latter is not.

In order to ensure the purpose of the regulation is fully respected, and unless the reason is completely clear, in future we will require the team of any driver who fails to finish the first of two races to explain the circumstances surrounding the retirement to the Stewards of the meeting.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1253221)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23798

Pitpass is speculating on whether both BAR's will be penalised 10 grid slots due to the teams 'blatant exploitation' of the rule.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1253233)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Off topic: I must say I find it a shame that I practically ignored the grandprix.com article. Although there was nothing really in that to give evidence. It was on the money though - reminds me of 'cry wolf' though with current GP news!

On topic: It'll be interesting to see if this clarification is applied retrospectively. Clarifications are different to changes.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1253246)   #17
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe
I don't see the problem with the way BAR have interpretated the rule.

Sure they have nice new engines in Malaysia, however when everyone else has new engines in Bahrain BAR will have used ones so they are at a supposed disadvantage there.
Don't think it's like that.

Everyone will have a new motor in Bahrain as part of the standard two race cycle, I think?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1253271)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Don't think it's like that.

Everyone will have a new motor in Bahrain as part of the standard two race cycle, I think?

No, they won't.

Each time you change an engine, it starts a new two-race cycle for you.

So:

ROUND 1: ENGINE A FAILS
ROUND 2: ENGINE B
ROUND 3: ENGINE B
ROUND 4: ENGINE C

Whereas your competitor may go:

ROUND 1: ENGINE A
ROUND 2: ENGINE A
ROUND 3: ENGINE B
ROUND 4: ENGINE B
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1253272)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23798

Pitpass is speculating on whether both BAR's will be penalised 10 grid slots due to the teams 'blatant exploitation' of the rule.

I would say they won't be penalised - as they didn't do anything outwith the rules AS THEY STOOD AT THE TIME.

Anyway - BAR may well not change their engines - they just gave themselves the option to do so.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1253276)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I would say they won't be penalised - as they didn't do anything outwith the rules AS THEY STOOD AT THE TIME.
My guess is they won't be penalised, but it is a rule clarification, not change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Anyway - BAR may well not change their engines - they just gave themselves the option to do so.
I presume they submitted their engines for the second FIA seal that is applied to the engine after the first event?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1253302)   #21
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
all will soon become apparent, but im sure i read someware that schumi was having a new engine this weekend!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1253310)   #22
rameire
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Rep of Ireland
rameire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very unsporting of them I must say, using the rules to Cheat sportmanship.

OK another example of this kind of rule in another Sport.

Compare it to a football match, lets say Man utd are loosing 10 nil to Bolton,
and Fergie the Dolphin goes "comon lads try and get 5 of yees sent off",
and they do so,
Now due to there being less then 7 playes on the Man Utd team playing,
the game has to be cancelled and due to this the other team will have won the match by default,
which by default will give them a 2 nill win not a 10 nill win.
You dont see this happen at all,
Why?, because it is not sporting.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1253316)   #23
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
yes but there would be nothing in it for man u, but with f1 they get to have a new engine for the next race
Old 16 Mar 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1253321)   #24
rameire
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Rep of Ireland
rameire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goal Difference,
if you finish the season on same points as another team, they use goal difference, to decide who is ahead of who.
So they would not be down by 10 goals only 2.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1253339)   #25
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A simpler fix than the FIA's subjective investigation would be the imposition of a 30kg weight penalty for the entire following event, following an engine change before the completion of two full events. A simple rule without prejudice to cause.