Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1268903)   #1
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen (again!)

Much as it pains me to admit it..I think he's getting better. He seems to be curbing the worst excesses of his commentary, and today I hardly noticed him, which is a good thing. The "heading for Saudi" comment was also genuinely funny..lets hope he can keep it up all season!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1268907)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He always seems less noticeable during good races. He also seems to make less stupid comments. But maybe that's because you're not listening to him.

He is still in desperate need of being replaced by Ben Edwards!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1268911)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know he was never going to be better than Murray, and quite right to.
But to be fair to him, he is a nice person, and loves F1, he's a fan like us.
I'm sure if we were to go and commentate, we would be no better, probably much worse.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1268914)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not about whether we'd do a good job though.

It's about the fact there are better trained commentators around.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1268917)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
It's not about whether we'd do a good job though.

It's about the fact there are better trained commentators around.
Maybe, and I take it you would want Ben Edwards to take his place, well when he did the F1 season review I found he made it boring. Although he was doing it on his own, it never quite geeled in right.
But that's my opinon.

Last edited by luke; 3 Apr 2005 at 16:24.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1268918)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Season reviews are scripted though.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1268919)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Martin talked a lot today. All James did was repeat what Martin did, but in a more long winded and tedious manner. Apart from one comment, which sounded scripted beforehand, he said nothing of value or note.

In addition, why was the Q2 round up so short? It hardly gave an indication about the grid or the events. Terrible. I think the build-up was shorter due to the news about the Pope's death, but there was still 40 minutes of build-up. Couldn't they have cut Louise's pointless "there are more nice carpets in Bahrain this year article" instead?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1268920)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Season reviews are scripted though.
Yes, Ben's real talent is live coverage. His season review stuff is still good though, although Clive James did the best reviews. There is also the '82 (I think) one with the bloke and his wife!

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Apr 2005 at 16:26.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1268932)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He commentates better during the races with lots going on (like today) because it doesn't give him time to drift off and start commenting on whatever brand of shoe laces Schumacher is favouring this season.

I will give credit where it's due though, he didn't annoy me once during the race which must be a first.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1268940)   #10
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I was talking about him with someone else and we agreed that he seems to have improved a lot over the last year. I suppose he's feeling more comfortable, not always comparing himself to Murray in the back of his mind.
The Saudi comment was funny (as was Nick's to Louise about the champagne).
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1268944)   #11
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by santori
The Saudi comment was funny (as was Nick's to Louise about the champagne).
yes! I'd forgotten that.. A German driver with a sense of humour..thats a first!

Last edited by joe rossi; 3 Apr 2005 at 16:49.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1268950)   #12
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahem. Heinz-Harald Frentzen...?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1268956)   #13
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Quote:
I must have missed his standup routine..was he on the Paramount Comedy channel?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1268959)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe the lack of Ferrari domination has taken away some of his more cringe worthy comments...

but yeah i did have a bit of a chuckle on the "Saudi" line...
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1268961)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
I take it you were joking, but he races in the DTM, and I take it, that the rounds would clash.

Does Niki Lauda commentate for RTL?!!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1269294)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly, I'm anal enough to have wondered whether Saudi Arabia is in the direction the car was heading when it left the road, but it was a clever and amusing remark. It probably was planned in advance, but then so were some of Murray and Martin's respective classics (I bet Murray waited years to say "the car upside down is a Toyota" or similar).

James has improved this year (more o than any driver bar Klien), and I haven't cringed at his commentary mcuh at all. He's still a long way off offering knowledgable viewers anything useful, but I can see his merit now.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1275543)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Niki Lauda is a pundit for RTL, and ex-F1 driver (apparently) Christian Danner does the commentary...Niki Lauda is a humourless goat, likes to hear himself talk.

I'll tell you who is funny, though - Michael Schumacher. In German he comes across a millions times wittier and ready for a laugh than auf English. Ralf is worse.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1275553)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a thought - I nominate Logrence to translate Michael's German press conferences!

I'm glad others have noticed that James Allen seems to be improving. I thought he had a 'great race', so to speak, last time.

As for Ben Edwards, and slightly off topic, I felt truly sorry for him yesterday covering TOCA at Donny. Tim Harvey must be the most cringeworthy co-commentator out there!
Old 11 Apr 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1275569)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Harvey Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
As for Ben Edwards, and slightly off topic, I felt truly sorry for him yesterday covering TOCA at Donny. Tim Harvey must be the most cringeworthy co-commentator out there!
Glad someone else has noticed how blithering awful Tim Harvey is. I think John Clelland would be a lot better choice.

Harvey is so patronising and out of touch with reality!
Old 11 Apr 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1275627)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Harvey can be OK.....but he ain't Martin Brundles class. Let's face it, nobody is.

And he's better than Kelvin Burt.

Great to hear Ben screaming with excitement again yesterday though! hehehe...he's so enthusiastic!
Old 11 Apr 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1275655)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tim Harvey's comments are often pretty anodyne, and he seems to get basic facts wrong quite a lot as well. It's a shame, because Will Hoy was really good, and Ben deserves someone good working alongside him.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1275675)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Reunite him with Jeremy Shaw?
Old 11 Apr 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1275697)   #23
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Reunite him with Jeremy Shaw?
We said ''someone good''

As for James - he is not any better IMO. An improvement on Murray who I did not rate at all, but Allen should still be replaced.

Last edited by Formula Juan; 11 Apr 2005 at 17:13.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1275740)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Juan
An improvement on Murray who I did not rate at all, but Allen should still be replaced.
... i really hope that was a crude joke....

but everyone has their opinions...
Old 11 Apr 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1275772)   #25
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Sadly, I'm anal enough to have wondered whether Saudi Arabia is in the direction the car was heading when it left the road, but it was a clever and amusing remark.
No it wasn't - it is a cliche that some club commentators trot out week in, week out. But now you reckon it is clever and amusing, I'll try it