Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1389466)   #1
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which Grand Prix are we likely to lose for 2006 and the next couple of years?

well with the season as long as it has ever been and many countries wanting to join the Championship! Means that we are more than likely to lose some Grand prix. So who are the most likely candidates? Imola? Brazil? I think silverstone i most probabaly safe for the next few years! So who do you think we are most likely to lose and why?

Last edited by beau1; 23 Aug 2005 at 17:20. Reason: spelling
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1389499)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully Imola and Nurburgring.

USA must be a doubt, although I suspect it'll stay.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1389503)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see the USA in doubt - it got plenty of publicity to raise awareness of the sport this year.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1389512)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I agree with Knowlesy.With Ferrari and TGF on a downward slope,demand for two German and two Italian Gps will not be there.It's a shame MS and Ferrari aren't Hungarian.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1389515)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Likewise, I think Imola is in real danger. With Mercedes, BMW and the Schumachers continuing to be involved, and if Heidfeld can continue to shine, I think the 'Ring may be safe for the moment. Magny-Cours's future must be shaky, especially with no French drivers on the grid.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1389516)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I don't see the USA in doubt - it got plenty of publicity to raise awareness of the sport this year.
Yeah but it was bad so I doubt it it will be a successfull event, and the attendances would have again dropped a lot more..So I would expect 2006 to be the last race there.

The reason why the Nurburgring holds a race because it is a great event, popular, and run very well, and Imola is smiliar and has history behind it.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1389520)   #7
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect it won't be long before we see alternation with some of the venues (for instance, one year at the Ring the other at Imola, etc.).
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1389527)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, as it is the European Grand Prix it would be nice to alternate it each season, infact why not hold a second race in Spain, that would be popular, then the next year maybe a race at the A1-Ring again, they would offer a lot of money and as with Spain they big F1 fans, then the next year maybe to Brno...
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1389555)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But can a circuit afford the expense of staging a GP in return for revenue every other year? If so, it would be great to see a few alternating pairs, but I have my doubts.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1389586)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Magny-Cours's future must be shaky, especially with no French drivers on the grid.

From a historical perspective, dropping the Grand Prix of France would be appalling.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1389599)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
It would, but I think few would mourn the loss of Magny-Cours per se.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1389647)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a historical perspective, losing the GP of britain would be appalling. That never guaranteed its place.

History no longer holds precedence in track selection.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1389652)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

There was never any danger of Britain losing its Grand Prix.

There's an FIA rule that Britain, France and Italy must have a grand prix anyway
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1389657)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

As with all FIA rules, there will be acres of grey area.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1389662)   #15
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...but, if this rule requires unanimity to change it, those GPs are safe.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1389663)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'd love to see the French GP move, but where? Bernie doesn't seem interested in promoting Paul Ricard as a race venue (which really surprises me), and I doubt Dijon-Prenois is F1-standard. Le Mans is sacred (and the Bugatti track would be a bit tight anyway, wouldn't it?), so there aren't many options left.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1389666)   #17
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how many other countries have another track which could be used for a gp? Britain only really has Silverstone as a gp venue, maybe Rockingham could be used i dont know but Brands etc would all need extensive mods to qualify?
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1389671)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with the reopening of the fuji speedway there's a chance toyota may want to oust suzuka as home of the japanese gp.
imo, id like to see both, one japanese gp and one asian gp
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1389692)   #19
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Magny-Cours's future must be shaky, especially with no French drivers on the grid.
From that point of view Zandvoort should be back on the calendar, with 2 Dutch drivers in F1, for the first time in history. Me like Zandvoort
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1389703)   #20
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There where some serious talks about a track in Iceland, both for tyretesting and racing ... Now that would be fun, we'd have all kinds of weather going on ... Skip one in Itali for that, or Germany.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1389799)   #21
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Australia. Hasn't Bernie or the FIA said this was in doubt due to the legal system?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1389803)   #22
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My picks:

Imola will go. So will Hungary. Germany will have to pick one or alternate.

No others on the chopping block. Bernie will try and add before taking any others away, but if he is forced to, I would worry for Magny-Cours, Interlagos and Barcelona next. But likely the backlash over these three will be too strong.

As some have suggested, a rotational system might be a viable compromise.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 05:47 (Ref:1389853)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 903cc
What about Australia. Hasn't Bernie or the FIA said this was in doubt due to the legal system?

That was a bit of bluster, as far as I can see.

Melbourne boss Ron Walker is a close associate of Bernie - so Australia is as safe on the list as anywhere else.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1389868)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wait until the end of the season when the Silverstone renegotiations start again!
Old 24 Aug 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1389879)   #25
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia is about as safe as a house, the GP won't leave Albert Park for a while yet.

Didn't Imola and Nurburgring both sign contracts to around 2008-9 this year ?

I personally would love to see alternating venues:

The German GP alternates between Nurburgring and Hockenheim.

The Euro GP alternates between Imola and Jerez/Valencia

The Japan GP alternates between Suzuka and Fuji

The US GP alternates between Indy and (insert US venue here)

Apart from the historical circuits like Silverstone, Monaco, Monza, Spa and Montreal - i get sick of seeing the same circuits on the calender year in year out... variety is good.