Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1543789)   #1
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New year for McLaren, same problems?

Last year Kim could and would have won the title if the McLaren had been more reliable and with today's accident it seems nothing has changed
Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1543805)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I get the feeling it'll be a similar season packed with the usual problems. I hope not though because I want competitive racing as much as the next person.

Selby
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1543829)   #3
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, no I don't think this is a common problem. I mean, the bottleneck of the car reliability has always been the engine with McLaren, so let's wait and see. I'm afraid we'll see at least one of the cars not lasting through the race tomorrow due to engine related trouble. But on the other hand I do agree with you, it's all too frequent with McLaren, their cars have a number of problems. I can accept that this was a one-off, but still how do these things always keep happening to McLaren cars? There MUST be some sort of general problem, some people probably don't take their job too seriously...
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1543875)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it's not the engine it's a catastrophic suspension failure tearing the car in half.

You have to laugh really, although I can't say I find it funny as a McLaren fan.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1543910)   #5
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Same here. But I'm used to being let down by the car. We just have to accept that our favorite team is not really as professional as Ferrari, Renault or Honda.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1543917)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But they should be really. They arguably have the best facilities, a fabulous budget and a stable engine manufacturer for the past 11 or 12 seasons. And McLaren supposedly are an organisation that pains over every detail.

But niggly things always seem to happen. I really cannot explain it.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1543924)   #7
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a sustained belief that Mclaren have got their focus in the wrong place with all the imaging they seem so keen on (the latest fad being the chrome )* - distracting them resulting in all of these small mistakes.

If they returned to the old regime of being a racing team as the main priority I believe they'd be in a different place right now...

Oh yes and let's not forget the % share of Chysler in the team, through Mercedes ownership.. and what have American constructors ever done for F1 that's been noted as great or good?!

*other examples of excessive imaging:

the whole of the new HQ!!
those gastly new team tshirts
OTT pushing of the "ooh we're black & mysterious image
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1543931)   #8
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
I have a sustained belief that Mclaren have got their focus in the wrong place with all the imaging they seem so keen on (the latest fad being the chrome )* - distracting them resulting in all of these small mistakes.

If they returned to the old regime of being a racing team as the main priority I believe they'd be in a different place right now...

Oh yes and let's not forget the % share of Chysler in the team, through Mercedes ownership.. and what have American constructors ever done for F1 that's been noted as great or good?!

*other examples of excessive imaging:

the whole of the new HQ!!
those gastly new team tshirts
OTT pushing of the "ooh we're black & mysterious image
Americans and F1 dont mix... end of story..

They like their yanky old stock cars, and going around in circles...
Old 11 Mar 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1543942)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Today's problem was not engine related...Nismo there are many Americans who love Formula1...look at the stands at The United States Grand Prix. So just behave yourself
Old 11 Mar 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1543960)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
and what have American constructors ever done for F1 that's been noted as great or good?!

°COUGH°FORD V8 DFV°COUGH°
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1544016)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I jumped in to play a little and found it so out of the way...

Just to clear things up:

I don't think they are the same problems, from what I saw today, there are new problems added to the list.

Sad comments above, I hope you kids start thinking before writing.

And as keystrokes remarked in-between... they did a lot, and F1 is above nationalities, a great sport indeed.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1544046)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Yeah, guys I don't think our members from america will feel very well with this kind of comments So, I guess we could just stick to laughing at the problems of McLaren, even though it's our favorite team (for some of us).

Bononi, yeah, I'm afraid so. Even more problems for McLaren. Hopefully they'll at least REPLACE some older ones instead of just appending to the end of the list.

Knowlesy, yeah, they really should! I mean, I can't understand what's happening. But *something* has to be happening. You can't always just blame bad luck. I mean it's happening ALL THE TIME!!! They should just try harder I guess, and be much more organized probably....... I don't know. It's beyond me, all this money, all this experience, all these high leve engineers and scientists and everything's falling apart just like that. EVERY TIME!!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1544071)   #13
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
after this latest episode i could have sworn i saw kimi, pen in hand, running over to the ferrari paddock searching for a dotted line on which to sign....
Old 12 Mar 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1544072)   #14
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I mentioned it an another thread, but it's more relevant here.
It was refreshing to see the wheel tether work in Kimi's accident!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 02:34 (Ref:1544075)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2728
after this latest episode i could have sworn i saw kimi, pen in hand, running over to the ferrari paddock searching for a dotted line on which to sign....
......however,he never made it that far,due to a failure in the right leg on his overalls.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 04:05 (Ref:1544092)   #16
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New problems...such as spontaneous structural disintegration?

McLaren could end Kimi's career in several ways - none pleasant
Old 12 Mar 2006, 04:09 (Ref:1544094)   #17
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo
Americans and F1 dont mix... end of story..

They like their yanky old stock cars, and going around in circles...
Americans and F1 don't mix??

Are we hearing Jingoism?

Do the names Andretti, Foyt or Gurney (among others) ring any bells?

or for that matter...Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, or Sebring?

circles indeed
Old 12 Mar 2006, 05:17 (Ref:1544107)   #18
LiveandLetDrive
Rookie

LiveandLetDrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every country has its embarrassing idiots, ours just happen to like urine-flavored beer and the only sport more dizzying than tennis. Well, basketball's pretty bad too.

I'm also curious where in the structure of the team McLaren is going wrong. Didn't a mechanic sabotage something hydraulic that lead to a failure last year? Or was that just a mistake? They certainly don't seem to have alot of passion from what I've seen. Kimi's monotone makes me want to beat my head on the wall.

I've only been watching since last year really so I have a lot to learn yet
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1544144)   #19
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If it's not the engine it's a catastrophic suspension failure tearing the car in half.

You have to laugh really, although I can't say I find it funny as a McLaren fan.
Nop, I am never particularly amused, but like Menelaos I get used to it.....It doesn't matter. Raikkonen/Hakkinen don't/didn't have anything else to prove, we know how good they were/are.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:41 (Ref:1544148)   #20
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
Last year Kim could and would have won the title if the McLaren had been more reliable and with today's accident it seems nothing has changed
Yeah no kidding aye, same goes for Mika's third successive title in 2000, and Kimi's first in '03, and 2nd last year. I am just so over it.... What does one do.....
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1544161)   #21
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
Every country has its embarrassing idiots, ours just happen to like urine-flavored beer and the only sport more dizzying than tennis. Well, basketball's pretty bad too.

I'm also curious where in the structure of the team McLaren is going wrong. Didn't a mechanic sabotage something hydraulic that lead to a failure last year? Or was that just a mistake? They certainly don't seem to have alot of passion from what I've seen. Kimi's monotone makes me want to beat my head on the wall.

I've only been watching since last year really so I have a lot to learn yet
Well believe it or not McLaren are probably the most professionally presented working operation out there. Ever since their convincing double victory in 1998 and return to the winners circle, the car's speed and performance has continued to soar, but at hte cost of enormous amounts of reliability. Just for a bit of a refresher for ya LiveandLetDrive, They won four constructors titles and four drivers championship titles with Marlboro backing, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost in 1988-1991. Then followed two seasons of a handful of wins in a useless car thanks to Senna's brilliance. Then a further decline with the loss of Senna to WIlliams, to no wins in 1994-1996. Hakkinen came on strong in 1994, and in 1996, but it was pointless. In 1997, they returned to the winners circle, and by seasons end, had three wins, should have been more, but things were just starting. In 1998, they won 10 races, and both titles, and lapped the field in the first two races. In 1999, the won the drivers title, just, but should have walked it. In 2000, Hakkinen started the year with two DNF's from leading, then just when he was ready to stamp his authority on the title at the inaugural US GP, the Merc cried enough, that title was gone.
2001 was an embarassment for mcLaren, DC started well, but then the car just quit on him at a whole list of races including Spain and Monaco. Mika's car let go no fewer than 10 times that year, most of them he was in solid points positions and leading the race until the last lap on one occasion...
2002 was a poor year, but the car showed promise by season's end, Kimi should have won his first race at France but for a bit of bad luck. 2003, was Kimi's year, however a few 'political affairs' involving Ferrari and protests insured the Michelin runners were at a disadvantage going into the final races with new front tyres following an FIA decision which decided after a whole season that these tyres were illegal following the protest of Ferrari.
'03 was gone, but it was hardly a perfect year for reliability of the McLarens anyway. 2004, was poor,similar to 2002 in many ways. And 2005.......again, another title that McLaren lost by shooting their own feet clean off.

The whole tyre fiasco in f1 must make Americans like yourself laugh. Because over there I understand tyres are big round things that go round on a race car and provide good amounts of grip. Like everything American, it's not necessarily an original idea, but it is always the simplest and the better than the rest in the end.
Hope that wasn't too confusing but in short, McLaren have failed to produce a reliable car. Ferrari have produced the perfect compromise, a fast car that finishes races with the minimum of fuss.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1544163)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
Same here. But I'm used to being let down by the car. We just have to accept that our favorite team is not really as professional as Ferrari, Renault or Honda.
One failure of any sort doesn't mean a team isn't professional.

McLaren are one of the most professional outfits in F1.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:55 (Ref:1544164)   #23
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoigh
Americans and F1 don't mix??

Are we hearing Jingoism?

Do the names Andretti, Foyt or Gurney (among others) ring any bells?

or for that matter...Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, or Sebring?

circles indeed
Nismo, there was a season in fact many, in F1 in the 60s, where the entire field was powered by Ford's DFV, why? Beacuse it was better than anything the British/German/Italians could come up with.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1544174)   #24
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Without sounding too "Holier Than Thou" Kimi has made his fair share of stuff ups.
The "exploding" wishbone from last year was his fault...
Old 12 Mar 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1544854)   #25
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2728
Which is the wrong place to go. I seem to remember not that long ago Barri's ferrari suspension letting go in a big way chucking him off the track. As much fun as it is to jump on the bash McLaren bandwagon, unexpected failures happen to everyone.