woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best route to GT ?

just wondering,

what would be the best route to prepare a racer for GT (or GT Lights),
either single seaters like FFord and FRenault, or touring car / saloon racing ?

thanks
Woody.
Old 12 May 2001, 22:48 (Ref:91635)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about production sports Cars, the cars would obviously be slower and less powerful but there would be some commonality in the experience and driving style. Also a class that catered for older, near standard models would be very affordable. In a few years, you could progress to Clubman sports 1300s or Radicals or such like.
Old 15 May 2001, 21:58 (Ref:93011)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
yeah i guess someone could go from clubmans and radicals, and similar cars. It seems that a lot of the GT drivers though have come from success in other categories like F1, and touring cars even.
im trying to work out if driving a GT would be more like driving a single seater or a touring car, in terms of handling and performance etc.
Old 16 May 2001, 13:18 (Ref:93206)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the UK lots of people come out of 1 make sportscar championships like Caterhams and TVRs. Jamie Cambell-Walter is a good example, as are Ian McKellar Jnr. and Micheal Caine. I think JCW did some single seaters first, but Junior came from short oval racing. TVRs seem to be the best place to be spotted though.
Old 17 May 2001, 20:32 (Ref:93740)   #5
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
ahh, the TVR Tuscans.
Yeah they are cool cars, not one of the cheapest championships though.
Old 18 May 2001, 10:19 (Ref:93955)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No certainly not cheap, but if you are aiming at GT's, that's where you need to end up to get seen. As to how to get there, Caterhams perhaps? As for a cheap way into racing, I don't think there is one. It seems to start at expensive and go up from there.
Old 18 May 2001, 10:48 (Ref:93963)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about Radicals?
Old 18 May 2001, 11:20 (Ref:93976)   #8
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Radicals look good too, but still pricy.
Im training in Formula Ford at the moment, so i might stick with these if possible, my other thought is something like Stock Hatch racing.

thanks for the replies.
Woody
Old 18 May 2001, 11:43 (Ref:93989)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really have a problem with stock hatch. It may be cheap but as to safe. Well, if you can't uprate bushes and brakes then I really wouldn't do it.
Old 18 May 2001, 16:04 (Ref:94040)   #10
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
yeah Ive heard a lot of people comment about their safty. But i would guess that they can use race (brake)pads, which should do the job.
I've not seen them racing yet, but from what ive read they sounded good.