Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2002, 18:28 (Ref:392452)   #1
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All American team sponsor?

A potential good old american sponsor just popped into my mind! Imagine Wal-Mart coming on board to back an "All American" team like the one Red Bull is propsing now? Wal-Mart is a rare American well-funded, but global company!!

At present, Wal-Mart/Barbie (Mattel) are sponsoring a Canadian woman driver in our F1600 series.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 19:35 (Ref:392480)   #2
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Microsoft?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 20:29 (Ref:392510)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone hear mention yesterday during the ABC coverage yesterday about a Phil Hill/Dan Gurney F1 effort?

It doesn't matter much who the sponsors are. There are plenty US sponsors already on the sides of F1 cars. I'd like to see a real effort made by someone of the stature of the two above.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 20:40 (Ref:392516)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wal-Mart? Cheap as they are? Sponsor an F1 team? Sure! Their tightness with the almighty dollar is legendary.

More likely you would see Red Bull sponsor the "American" team as they are sponsoring the search for American drivers.

With the growth in advertising of pharmaceuticals I would think there might be found a potential sponsor with pockets way deeper than Wal-Mart's.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 21:07 (Ref:392537)   #5
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mcdonalds,Coca Cola,Microsoft and maybe Goodyear will make a comeback?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 22:44 (Ref:392620)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

Yeah, it would be interesting to see a McDonalds/Coke Cola effort. The two are always together it seems. I thought of Wal-Mart b/c they are a very profitable and also American company. And isn't Wal-Mart slowly branching out globally by opening stores?

Last edited by kmchow; 30 Sep 2002 at 22:46.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 23:16 (Ref:392642)   #7
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sony.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 01:45 (Ref:392697)   #8
I am Tifosi
Rookie

I am Tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DuPont. It would make an excellent proving ground for R&D of new materials and validate their commitment to cutting edge technology.

Last edited by I am Tifosi; 1 Oct 2002 at 01:47.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 01:48 (Ref:392698)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neil, the Gurney quote was picked up by most of the Websites.

I hope it comes to fruition. Supposedly, they have an agreement with Cosworth for engines but as Gurney said, all the pieces need to fall into place fast.

Could this be the return of Eagle to F1? We can only hope.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 12:23 (Ref:392996)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
McDonalds - and the drivers and pit crew could all dress up like Ronald McDonald.

The drivers could have a Big Mac, Large Fries and a Thick Chocolate Milkshake during the pitstops.

The pit crew would quickly get the reputation for being the fastest in the pit lane, but in reality the drivers will have to wait 5 minutes in a queue just to get to their garage. When they eventually get there they will be given the wrong tyres by an underpaid, stressed-out and rude 18 year old student, who is "employee of the week".

The whole team will misunderstand the meaning of a "Drive Through" penalty.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 12:54 (Ref:393031)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Kmchow, yes Wal-Mart is branching out. imho, they will never ever lay out the kind of cash you need to to make an impact in F-1. I am surprised that they have signed on as a sponsor with NASCAR!

Likewise McDonalds is big, as is Coca-Cola, but there are other firms that are larger who could be tapped. The big pharmaceutical companies (Pfizer, etc.) are trying to expand sales by advertising prescription meds. They have very deep pockets and may be more likely to try F-1 to raise world-wide brand awareness.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 13:56 (Ref:393079)   #12
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oddly, Phil Hill denies all knowledge of the deal, and --wishing Gurney all the best -- says that he used his name without discussing it with him first.

For what it's worth, I do hope that the loathsome WalMart empire does not get involved in F1...but then, what the heck, the tobacco companies are huge in it now, so I suppose I shouldn't be too fastidious.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 14:25 (Ref:393102)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
This really doesn't "fit" the forum, but I agree Bibendum. Wal-Mart is currently under investigation for widespread violations of wage and hour protections. I would hate to see $$ that should have been paid to workers go to supporting an F-1 effort!

Sorry, mods, I will refrain from further "moral" comment!
Old 1 Oct 2002, 23:41 (Ref:393568)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

I think the discussion on potential sponsors (especially American ones considering the recent Red Bull driver search), is very relevant. Perhaps an American sponsor would step up to sponsor or co-sponsor a F1 team.

I am suprised to hear that pharmaceutical companies could be a great source of F1 money. However, I think the chances of a pharmaceutical company sponsoring a F1 team is considerably less than say a McDonalds/Coke deal. I'm sure people would be up in arms saying that their high drug bills are the result of the company spending it on frivolous advertising.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 01:03 (Ref:393613)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Yeah!! According to Alan Jones, Phil Hill said that's the first he heard about it.

Valve