Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2014703)   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Nowhere here have I said he should not do it. While most of you were running around looking for charming analogies utilizing mice and pole vaults, I have maintained that Zanardi has nothing to prove and that he has no "need" to do this in order to "light his competitive fire."
So if Zanardi agrees to it and is most thankful of the offer from Vasser, would you still feel insulted ?
Old 16 Sep 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2014769)   #27
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So if I say Zanardi has nothing to prove, and then luke, you re-state that Zanardi has nothing to prove, how is that not agreeing with me that Zanardi has nothing to prove??

Nowhere here have I said he should not do it. While most of you were running around looking for charming analogies utilizing mice and pole vaults, I have maintained that Zanardi has nothing to prove and that he has no "need" to do this in order to "light his competitive fire."

If ever there were a man whose competitive fire burns brightly, it is Alex Zanardi.

Pretty simple question really, I am sure y'all can figure it out eventually...
NO. You are making out they are saying he has something to prove and then finding negatives some how in a great thing that can happen. Thankfully Alex doesn't have to listen to you.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 18:55 (Ref:2014889)   #28
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
How I feel about it, D.R.T., is how I feel about it. How Zanardi feels about it is his choice and his privilege. I am not telling him what to think or what to feel. I am simply stating what I think and what I feel.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2015059)   #29
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
NO. You are making out they are saying he has something to prove and then finding negatives some how in a great thing that can happen. Thankfully Alex doesn't have to listen to you.
Thankfully he doesn't have to listen to you either.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 07:35 (Ref:2015303)   #30
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good thread people - compelling stuff...
Old 17 Sep 2007, 09:22 (Ref:2015418)   #31
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How I feel about it, D.R.T., is how I feel about it. I am simply stating what I think and what I feel.
Which is great but in the end it doesnt involve you. Not saying anyone shouldnt have opinions but it did seem pretty strong coming a person with no connection to those involved.

Back on topic, hopefully the test can come off. Have there been any word from the Zinardi camp.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 17 Sep 2007 at 09:32.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 09:40 (Ref:2015433)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, connection to a thing or person is not a requirement for a strong opinion! There are many people who post storng opinions about people, events and concepts who have no connection whatsoever to any of them in a personal sense.

IF Zanardi chooses to test the question is can the DP-01 be modified to allow him to get out of the car within the time frame the safety people have established as the minimum elapsed time to exit the car?

Whatever happens there should be no compromises so that there is no further injury incurred - especially for something that is not anything more than an opprotunity for Alex to try out the car.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:17 (Ref:2015809)   #33
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If Alex wants to test he will. If he doesn't he won't. Simple.
Yes, especially with the 3 Mansell's driving as well it would be for PR but probably not a stunt.
Good grief, we complain all the time about the lack of PR from CC so when one of the team owners (not CC) comes up with an idea why do we (or some of us) moan.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 17:19 (Ref:2015951)   #34
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we just drop this Vasser / Zanardi rubbish ?!?!

It is 100% obvious Vasser offered Alex this test in good faith, with no motives and certainly no negative comments towards Alex. We are taking away from the actual debate by fuelling this stupidity.

Zanardi has been offered a champ car test, and i for one would love to see how he gets on. He is a champ car legend, and i'm sure Alex would have a great time.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:44 (Ref:2016628)   #35
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
i would be the last person to be opposed to good press for open wheel racing, but CC has already benefitted from that when Alex finished the Lausitz race. That was a tremendous thing, which I fully supported.

My difficulty is that to , it seems CC is going back to the same well. To me, there is no need for a reprise. If Vasser wants Alex to drive and Alex wants to drive, fine. But we are at a point in this where it should be aprivate thing.

If CC wants to get better PR they should come up with some other way other than using this man, who almost gave his life and has already given so much, yet one more time.

As far as this being "rubbish" from me, so be it. Keep in mind though that I am not forcing anyone to read or respond.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 10:10 (Ref:2016659)   #36
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
Can we just drop this Vasser / Zanardi rubbish ?!?!

It is 100% obvious Vasser offered Alex this test in good faith, with no motives and certainly no negative comments towards Alex. We are taking away from the actual debate by fuelling this stupidity.

Zanardi has been offered a champ car test, and i for one would love to see how he gets on. He is a champ car legend, and i'm sure Alex would have a great time.
I agree 100% James. It's a shame others don't like this or are trying to pick holes for no reason in a great thing that could happen. Hopefully it'll happen. CC needs past legends being involved whatever way to help give it some boost.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 23:36 (Ref:2017500)   #37
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
My difficulty is that to , it seems CC is going back to the same well. To me, there is no need for a reprise. If Vasser wants Alex to drive and Alex wants to drive, fine. But we are at a point in this where it should be aprivate thing.

If CC wants to get better PR they should come up with some other way other than using this man, who almost gave his life and has already given so much, yet one more time.

As far as this being "rubbish" from me, so be it. Keep in mind though that I am not forcing anyone to read or respond.
Oh please. As someone that has spent a lot of time working in motorsport PR, I can tell you that this is ludicrous.

Here is a likely order of events:

- Vasser and Zanardi talking. Vasser says, "you should drive one of these new cars - much nicer than the old Reynards".
- Zanardi (being a racer), "If you could make the car suit me, I'll be there in a flash."
- CC or PKV PR rep gets wind of the test and, having his/her own media KPIs to achieve, wants in on the test. He/she then asks Jimmy if he would have a problem having the media there... Jimmy says, "yeah, I don't mind - let me ask Alex".
- Jimmy phones Zanardi, "the PR guy/chick wants to invite some media along - are you cool with that?"
- Zanardi, "No problem."

From a PR perspective, if a racing legend wants to try out the new car, why on Earth would any PR professional turn down the opportunity to leverage it!?

What you are saying makes no sense. It will be a bit of fun for two old mates, and for Alex to try the new car. I'm sure he is not being forced to drive by Champ Car's PR department!!!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 08:57 (Ref:2017680)   #38
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Oh please. As someone that has spent a lot of time working in motorsport PR, I can tell you that this is ludicrous.

Here is a likely order of events:

- Vasser and Zanardi talking. Vasser says, "you should drive one of these new cars - much nicer than the old Reynards".
- Zanardi (being a racer), "If you could make the car suit me, I'll be there in a flash."
- CC or PKV PR rep gets wind of the test and, having his/her own media KPIs to achieve, wants in on the test. He/she then asks Jimmy if he would have a problem having the media there... Jimmy says, "yeah, I don't mind - let me ask Alex".
- Jimmy phones Zanardi, "the PR guy/chick wants to invite some media along - are you cool with that?"
- Zanardi, "No problem."

From a PR perspective, if a racing legend wants to try out the new car, why on Earth would any PR professional turn down the opportunity to leverage it!?

What you are saying makes no sense. It will be a bit of fun for two old mates, and for Alex to try the new car. I'm sure he is not being forced to drive by Champ Car's PR department!!!
I agree mac. Good post. The whole argument against this doesn't make sense.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 02:30 (Ref:2018418)   #39
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't wait for the headline:

"mountainstar tests for PKV"

or

"mountainstar prepares for suborbital flight with AGR"

imagine the PR storm from that.
the possibilities are endless.