Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jun 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3981340)   #551
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Which is why it’s important that running races behind closed doors doesn’t impact too deeply on the circuits. It’s needs spectators back in good time
Old 11 Jun 2020, 13:08 (Ref:3981344)   #552
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Which is why it’s important that running races behind closed doors doesn’t impact too deeply on the circuits. It’s needs spectators back in good time
It won't make any appreciable difference to them for club meetings as the number of actual paying spectators is so low - even if you got 250 paying at £15 a ticket for a clubbie that is less than £4k compared to say £30k circuit hire plus £5k for medical cover - paid for by the organising club.

For a clubbie you need minimal staffing, no promotion costs aside from listing it on the circuit website and calendar, so they are actually a good, no-risk revenue generator. Track days even more so.

For the promoted events the picture is different, but I am sure this has been factored in by TOCA, etc in the hosting fee.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3981346)   #553
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The circuits are not in the slightest bit bothered by the income from spectators at normal club Level meetings. It makes little difference to their bottom line and their business model sees the income derived from the circuit hire.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3981358)   #554
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The circuits are not in the slightest bit bothered by the income from spectators at normal club Level meetings. It makes little difference to their bottom line and their business model sees the income derived from the circuit hire.
Thank you for the responses. It is as I assumed. No real financial urge to get spectator restrictions lifted. Though MSV still push the events pretty hard on their website
Old 11 Jun 2020, 17:10 (Ref:3981391)   #555
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Castle Combe bucks the trend here with big numbers even on wet clubbie days. At least they certainly used to, I haven't been for ages. But if things are still the same they will be hard hit by running behind closed doors. That will have to translate into higher entry fees if it continues.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jun 2020, 17:22 (Ref:3981393)   #556
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Thank you for the responses. It is as I assumed. No real financial urge to get spectator restrictions lifted. Though MSV still push the events pretty hard on their website
Jonathan Palmer is a good businessman but first and foremost he's a racer and with his medicinal background there's probably nobody better to oversee the return of paying spectators at the MSV venues. I have personally witnessed certainly in the early days when he took over Brands Hatch, his attention to tidiness and cleanliness in and around the circuit, if anyone can safely reintroduce spectator admissions I'm sure he's well equipped to do so with his team. He still pays a lot of attention to detail, only last year I saw him talking at length to members of the catering staff over breakfast in the Kentagon and I've even seen him inspecting waste disposal bins.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 17:38 (Ref:3981400)   #557
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Castle Combe bucks the trend here with big numbers even on wet clubbie days. At least they certainly used to, I haven't been for ages. But if things are still the same they will be hard hit by running behind closed doors. That will have to translate into higher entry fees if it continues.

Still do! Combe is a real taste of what club racing should be like - even the modern classes
Old 11 Jun 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3981401)   #558
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Jonathan Palmer is a good businessman but first and foremost he's a racer and with his medicinal background there's probably nobody better to oversee the return of paying spectators at the MSV venues. I have personally witnessed certainly in the early days when he took over Brands Hatch, his attention to tidiness and cleanliness in and around the circuit, if anyone can safely reintroduce spectator admissions I'm sure he's well equipped to do so with his team. He still pays a lot of attention to detail, only last year I saw him talking at length to members of the catering staff over breakfast in the Kentagon and I've even seen him inspecting waste disposal bins.
All true. MSV are a class act. I am optimistic of a swift change to the rules early in July
Old 11 Jun 2020, 17:59 (Ref:3981402)   #559
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All true. MSV are a class act. I am optimistic of a swift change to the rules early in July
They are still advertising spectator tickets for the HSCC in July with a provisor that full refunds will be given in the event of non attendance, the government guidelines may well be amended over the next few weeks, fingers crossed.
Castle Combe as MM says is always popular with locals who still pack the hot spots at quarry, tower and camp corners, I've been going to club meetings there for years and last year at least it was as popular as ever.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3981407)   #560
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
A question please. Who gets the gate money from spectators? The club or the circuit?
Only one exception in France, on usual gate money goes to the club/ organiser.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 19:04 (Ref:3981414)   #561
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to be clear to those who don't know this, ALL events taking place in July are behind closed doors as per MSUK guidelines- that won't change.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 20:03 (Ref:3981424)   #562
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This screenshot is karting specific but does give a feel for what's going on.

Old 11 Jun 2020, 20:18 (Ref:3981434)   #563
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Just to be clear to those who don't know this, ALL events taking place in July are behind closed doors as per MSUK guidelines- that won't change.
You seem very sure, is there no chance of further easing before July?
Old 12 Jun 2020, 06:14 (Ref:3981459)   #564
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
They are still advertising spectator tickets for the HSCC in July with a provisor that full refunds will be given in the event of non attendance, the government guidelines may well be amended over the next few weeks, fingers crossed.
Castle Combe as MM says is always popular with locals who still pack the hot spots at quarry, tower and camp corners, I've been going to club meetings there for years and last year at least it was as popular as ever.
I don't know why they the HSCC are doing that, MSUK made it clear that permits would only be granted for behind closed doors events in July.

There will be a number of caveats of granting event permits, including that event organisers commit that their events will be held behind closed doors, appropriate PPE requirements are met, and that each organiser must appoint a COVID-19 officer to ensure compliance with any relevant guidelines.

Furthermore, there will be a limit on the number of permits issued for July to 50% of those in the corresponding month of 2019, in order that there are sufficient volunteer Official and Marshal resources available to support the restart in a safe and responsible manner. No national or British championship events will take place in July to reduce potential national and international travel (excludes FIA championships).

Personally, I think there is no possibility of the government granting large public gatherings at all this year, the scientists are quite reticent on further easing of the lockdown.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3981471)   #565
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I toyed very briefly with the idea of entering both Formula Junior races, Front and Rear, at the rescheduled Donington Festival.

The newly imposed quarantine for travellers from Europe effectively killed that idea instantly.

Looking at the numbers, it actually might a good idea anyway to stay away from the UK.
I am far more likely to get infected in the UK compared to where I live.

RuE
Old 12 Jun 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3981509)   #566
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sorry you missed out on Donington. Maybe next year. It is a pain this quarantine. Hope we can sort out our problems soon, so the UK can get back to normal.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3981558)   #567
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You seem very sure, is there no chance of further easing before July?
Moneyseeker's post is spot-on and contains the direct quote from MSUK.

Even if MSUK hadn't taken that stance, they'd still be relying on significant changes from the government to run even limited crowds. Again, as Moneyseeker points out, that is not going to happen any time soon.

I also think, government restrictions aside, opening up events to the public is the definition of a zero sum game at the moment. It takes only a brief look at MSUK's very lengthy return to racing document to understand the complexity and challenges of even getting the events off the ground. Adding the general public into the mix, even in limited numbers, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3981559)   #568
S griffin
Veteran

Exactly, no use trying to run before you can walk. Step 1 is getting circuits open for testing, step 2 is getting racing on again and step 3 will be getting spectators back
Old 12 Jun 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3981566)   #569
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Moneyseeker's post is spot-on and contains the direct quote from MSUK.

Even if MSUK hadn't taken that stance, they'd still be relying on significant changes from the government to run even limited crowds. Again, as Moneyseeker points out, that is not going to happen any time soon.

I also think, government restrictions aside, opening up events to the public is the definition of a zero sum game at the moment. It takes only a brief look at MSUK's very lengthy return to racing document to understand the complexity and challenges of even getting the events off the ground.

Adding the general public into the mix, even in limited numbers, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
The latest MSV Coronavirus update dated 4 June says" we fully anticipate that racing will resume from 4 July and are hopeful that the increasing relaxation of restrictions will soon permit spectators to attend" I would think responsibility for spectator safety will lie with the venue, not the club, and Mr P must have an ear to the ground.

Brands will be a lot less crowded than any beach for certain
Old 12 Jun 2020, 14:52 (Ref:3981573)   #570
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Brands will be a lot less crowded than any beach for certain

Not sure about that - for a club meet, sure, but even at a CSCC meet I've been in shoulder-to-shoulder crowds along the fencing. There are also the issues of opening up the catering and toilet facilities.....

I'm sure there is a substantial cost to bringing in staff to process ticket applications (which may subsequently have to be refunded at extra cost) which will also militate against any plans for spectator attendance before clear indication from Government that attendance should be opened up. Football with all-seater stadia may be able to introduce socially distanced attendance, but motorsport in UK is a long way from that situation.

Racing of course is what we have been focussing on, but rallying for example is an activity for cars with two people (seldom from the same household) in close proximity for prolonged periods of time, so I'd expect that to be off the board for quite a while.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 15:04 (Ref:3981576)   #571
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Racing of course is what we have been focussing on, but rallying for example is an activity for cars with two people (seldom from the same household) in close proximity for prolonged periods of time, so I'd expect that to be off the board for quite a while.
Richard Millener talked about rallying a bit on a recent btcc podcast.
He said he thinks rallying will be later than circuit racing for a return, because organisers have no way of ensuring spectators stay away.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3981589)   #572
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Unfortunately I pretty much acknowledge this to be the case, it's just me being over optimistic. All these alternative home activities and watching reruns of various meetings along with consuming several motor sport related books over the past few weeks is no substitute for the real thing
Old 12 Jun 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3981590)   #573
S griffin
Veteran

I know the feeling, there’s only so much sim racing you can watch, before you wish it was the real thing. At least light is starting to appear at the end of the tunnel. Let’s hope it’s not a train
Old 12 Jun 2020, 17:17 (Ref:3981593)   #574
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I know the feeling, there’s only so much sim racing you can watch,
I'm afraid I'm a complete luddite when it comes to 'sims', 'E racing' or electric motors, simply doesn't do it for me
Old 12 Jun 2020, 17:58 (Ref:3981594)   #575
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm afraid I'm a complete luddite when it comes to 'sims', 'E racing' or electric motors, simply doesn't do it for me
And I thought it was only me! Not so much as opened up a single one of the many press releases from various 'races'.