Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Feb 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4033178)   #1051
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's fantastic news. With furlough finishing at the end of April we need to get working again.

In my mind I'm aiming to reopen the workshop around 8tj March. I doubt we will be on track by then but it gives a tentative date to start prep. I'm still hoping for end March for organised outdoor sports outside of the MSUK governance.

I have to admit it hasn't been the worst time of year to be told I can't go and stand at a wet and windy kart track

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 3 Feb 2021, 10:00 (Ref:4033192)   #1052
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
There is already a lot of motorsport and car shows etc cancelled up to June now. Running rallies etc takes a lot of work for months before hand and visits to venues etc.
There is also a big PR issue if we start before the local grassroots soccer and crickets teams for example. Never underestimate the need for public goodwill.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4033198)   #1053
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
There is already a lot of motorsport and car shows etc cancelled up to June now. Running rallies etc takes a lot of work for months before hand and visits to venues etc.
There is also a big PR issue if we start before the local grassroots soccer and crickets teams for example. Never underestimate the need for public goodwill.
i think the biggest issue is preparing events in advance.

At least with close circuit meetings its a relatively controlled environment, outdoors and takes relatively little organisation when compared to music events or festivals where you need months of planning emergency plans, venue hire etc.

i know its a simplistic view but hopefully it makes sense.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4033226)   #1054
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then there's this. https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/tennis...mpression=true
Old 3 Feb 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4033325)   #1055
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a spectator my current expectation is that I will be making day visits to some nice theme parks, which just happen to have strips of tarmac winding through them, on the same terms as last year. Easter Monday with HRDC at Castle Combe is my first hope.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4033552)   #1056
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news in the Times today that outdoor organised sport is likely to be the first to open up when the school's do. MSUK will probably be a bit more cautious with permitted events than our "independent karting" sector, so if you want to keep your eye in before real racing starts I happen to have some karts for rent LOL

Old 5 Feb 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4033557)   #1057
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Good news in the Times today that outdoor organised sport is likely to be the first to open up when the school's do. MSUK will probably be a bit more cautious with permitted events than our "independent karting" sector, so if you want to keep your eye in before real racing starts I happen to have some karts for rent LOL

Listening to the news this morning, I do believe that this is nothing more than certain Tory MPs not so subtly lobbying Johnson to ease restrictions, whilst at the same time the scientific advisors are cautioning to not lift restrictions too early.

Although it would be great for life to return to how it used to be, as someone who is probably at very risk of contracting the virus as my immune system is shot to hell at the moment, I really do fear that this excuse of a PM will cave in to his his MPs and grant them their wishes and so remain their darling.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 09:13 (Ref:4033563)   #1058
midgetman
Veteran

It'll never be "life as it used to be". Screens, masks, the works will be with us for some years to come I reckon. And bad customer service "to help you be covid secure."

There are some proper epidemiologists in the article saying that things like schools and outdoor sports should be opened up. But equally there are those that don't. Like everyone says - get three experts together and you'll always hear four different views.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 09:16 (Ref:4033564)   #1059
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the only thing we can agree on is the lockdowns were too late, or too early, the opening of schools is essential but only after another 6 months, there's no evidence that the virus is worse than flu, there is evidence that the virus is more virulent than the flu, etc.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4033642)   #1060
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think the only thing we can agree on is the lockdowns were too late, or too early, the opening of schools is essential but only after another 6 months, there's no evidence that the virus is worse than flu, there is evidence that the virus is more virulent than the flu, etc.

That's definite maybe !
Old 6 Feb 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4033703)   #1061
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Listening to the news this morning, I do believe that this is nothing more than certain Tory MPs not so subtly lobbying Johnson to ease restrictions, whilst at the same time the scientific advisors are cautioning to not lift restrictions too early.

Although it would be great for life to return to how it used to be, as someone who is probably at very risk of contracting the virus as my immune system is shot to hell at the moment, I really do fear that this excuse of a PM will cave in to his his MPs and grant them their wishes and so remain their darling.
I sometime wonder if back bench MP's have the sense they were born with. This is not 2020, we can all see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it is purely a vaccine v virus race, the longer we have restrictions, the more people are vaccinated. We also have more vigorous variants, that spread faster and more easily. We have spent a year battling this, another 2 or 3 months of restrictions is what we need to be sure, before we lift measures.

As for Sir Graham Brady, his political radar is such that he resigned from the 1922 committee solely to stand for party leadership and didn't even get enough support to even be a candidate and withdrew before even standing....
Old 6 Feb 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4033707)   #1062
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
And that's before we get on to the utterly barking Desmond Swayne. Oh sorry , SIR Desmond -knighted , I assume , for services to arrant stupidity
Old 7 Feb 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4033838)   #1063
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
And that's before we get on to the utterly barking Desmond Swayne. Oh sorry , SIR Desmond -knighted , I assume , for services to arrant stupidity
🤣🤣 it would be funny if it.wasn't true! 😵
Old 13 Feb 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4035016)   #1064
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
In last couple of weeks the Flying Scotsman has been postponed, the Motoco Historic's have issued the entries , some of the first invitations have been issued for Goodwood Revival

Make out of that lot what you may!
Old 13 Feb 2021, 23:27 (Ref:4035025)   #1065
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm I have tickets for the Monaco Historics but got a refund on my flights last week. I need to hatch a plan to get there! Planes with tests is risky maybe drive or Train?

Any suggestions?
Old 14 Feb 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4035049)   #1066
midgetman
Veteran

We had tickets for Monaco Historic last year. Not a hint of a refund so he careful.

Old 14 Feb 2021, 16:20 (Ref:4035113)   #1067
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Last news dated 18th January: "Despite the latest rumors circulating on certain websites and social media, the Automobile Club de Monaco can confirm/… The ACM also confirms the 12th Grand Prix de Monaco Historique (April 23rd-25th 2021)
If you find flying to is too risky, drive to is risky as well I fear. With roughly one month and a half to go, who can say if the situation will be better in France?
Max did you ask for a refund yet?
Old 14 Feb 2021, 21:17 (Ref:4035145)   #1068
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We had tickets for Monaco Historic last year. Not a hint of a refund so he careful.

I got ours refunded no problem for 2020.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 12:24 (Ref:4035230)   #1069
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m sure anyone who needs a refund should be able to get it
Old 16 Feb 2021, 04:18 (Ref:4035362)   #1070
chrisklein90
Rookie

United States
Florida
chrisklein90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of events have been canceled due to the ongoing pandemic.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 07:23 (Ref:4035374)   #1071
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm testing at Hockenhiemon on the 3rd of March. All going ahead, social distancing in place of course.
Confirmation came in yesterday that if it stays as is or doesn't get any worse then its full steam ahead.

Andy.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4035376)   #1072
midgetman
Veteran

That's good news. Have they got hotels etc open or are you staying on site?

Old 16 Feb 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4035410)   #1073
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the hotels are open for workers.
Just room service.

A
Old 18 Feb 2021, 07:49 (Ref:4035651)   #1074
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Well, after last year omnishambles, my year is taking shape . It doesn't include Monaco, which we booked last year, as it feels too early to commit. But Goodwood Members' Meeting , HSCC and CSCC Cadwell , CSCC Knockhill and Silverstone Classic are all in my diary, and accommodation booked. I really hope that some of the venues which remained firmly shut last year , including the two closest to home , and despite MSV showing how it could be done, re-open to spectators .
Old 18 Feb 2021, 14:21 (Ref:4035715)   #1075
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm hoping for CSCC Oulton, Knockhill, Donington, Cadwell, Anglesey and Silverstone in that order, but admit I'm a bit sceptical about whether Oulton on 10 April, and Knockhill on 1/2 May, will happen, particularly with Scotland's tight control over travel.

Particular issue is whether booked accommodation will be open - my camping days are long past! I can do Oulton as a day trip, no problem, but as Knockhill is (a) a long way away, and (b) a two-day meet, the Premier Inn will be essential

Hope we can see you, Coppice