Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 8 Nov 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1455204)   #1
jimbomit
Racer

England
Cheshire
jimbomit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FF1600 in the UK

Well we've completed the seasons racing and with just one stand alone left this year I just wondered what everyone’s thoughts on the year are?

I've been around and to a lesser degree competing in FF1600 for around 5 years now and I have to say this year has, for me, been very different in feel to the past 4.

There seems to be an ever increasing buzz, more enthusiasm and definitely more optimism for the future of our racing series in the UK.

Sure there are areas being debated as to rights and wrongs but under all the debate I sense everyone wants the racing to grow not constrict.

Anyone who was at the WHT at the weekend will agree that the atmosphere was amazing and that can only come about through the people who are there to participate in the meeting (drivers, mechanics, organizers, spectators. . everyone!). There is a real strong sense of competition which is demonstrated on the track where the desire to race shines through yet this all happens, by and large, in a very decent atmosphere of mutual respect.

This was underlined for me in the final when as the cars drove out of the assembly area Peter and Joey exchanged thumbs up to each other before battle commenced. This was going on all down the pack.

We the participants have shown that FF1600 is one if not THE premier club race series in the country. It provides for everyone at every level and most importantly does so in the manner to which racing was invented, friendly rivalry, competitive and respectful. I have rarely come across any pretentious behaviour from anyone just good decent and humble support.

The race organizers have got a foundation they can build on. We the participants have proved we will support races and series that underline what we want, good value well thought out, well timed, competitive races across the decent challenging race circuits in the UK.

There is room to improve, some have said this year there may well have been too much choice so creating too small grids in some races. Next year needs to be planned to build on this year. Keep things as similar as possible to allow what we have to develop rather than introduce more changes that will confuse. There are enough races to accommodate us all, any more and the dilution will affect the series. Organizers need to think hard about when races will be run and where. Back to back races cause problems as can too much travel but to some choice is good.

There is no magic win win but by building on our foundation FF1600 will grow and strengthen even more. The main thing I would like is an early as possible timetable so I can plan my year and dedicate the funds appropriately.

That's my ramble, what are everyone else’s thoughts?
Old 8 Nov 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1455214)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Jim
Old 8 Nov 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1455258)   #3
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grow a beard Jim and you can be the next Diz.......................

Well said mate. The good feeling around the FF1600 paddock has been growing and I think the likes of this site helps. It was great talking to people face to face from this site, that I would never have really met otherwise. And as you talk to more people and become friendly with the competition, you look out for how they are doing.

Onwards and upwards for next year.

Can't wait...................................

PS I'm on a DR test tonight, so will be playing on here no doubt in the very small hours. Anyone up that late, log on and keep me company......................
Old 8 Nov 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1455264)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont know how many of the spectators were thwere as guest/girlfriends/parents etc but after the final seeing an actual crowd coming out of the Woodcote stand and there actually being some traffic (albeit a small amount) made it feel a bit like I remember club meetings being 25 odd years ago. The very fact that there were as many entries as there were has to bode wll for FF1600 as a sustainable formula. It would be interesting to here how many of the drivers/teams that were there as a one off feel sufficiently inspired or challenged to take on a little more next season

I now its very difficult but as much liason as possible between the various championships to minimize the number of clashing weekends would be good in 2006 as this year was bit mental at times
Old 8 Nov 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1455268)   #5
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say myself and Jim were talking over the wekend and we both said the same thing. I had a feeling I have never had for quite sometime in racing. My stomach was in knots before getting in the car on Saturday morning and the same Sunday. As soon as I hit the assembley area, I was feeling great, but probably the element of unknown did that as I was up against a lot of drivers I hadn't raced before. I suppose with doing Oulton and Anglesey all the time, and racing the same drivers, you come to expect what will happen to a point.

It was nice to have that feeling again.