Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Who would be most sadly missed (please limit it to 3)
Oriol Servia 26 49.06%
Darren Manning 32 60.38%
Mario Haberfeld 8 15.09%
Jimmy Vasser 39 73.58%
Roberto Moreno 19 35.85%
Max Papis 7 13.21%
Tiago Montiero 5 9.43%
Joel Camathias 0 0%
Gualter Salles 0 0%
Other (please state) 2 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Dec 2003, 17:56 (Ref:819201)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who would be missed?

Some of the 2003 drivers look unlikely to retain their rides for 2004. I was wondering which you'd like to see in CART again, and the reasons why.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 18:28 (Ref:819230)   #2
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I picked Darren Manning, Oriol Servia, and Jimmy Vasser. Manning is a stand up guy and a great driver, and Vasser's a name that would be missed for sure. Amongst all this talk that Servia didn't live up to expectations, I thought he did a great job and he proved himself more than worthy of a ride in champ cars. He just needs another season or two and he'll contend for the championship.

I'll also miss Moreno, but I think it's time he moved on to something else anyways, and I wish him all the best in V8 supercars. Haberfeld would have been my fourth pick because he showed loads of potential at the beginning of the season, and if he hadn't tailed off mid way through, he might have been noticed.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 18:30 (Ref:819231)   #3
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Servia in particular should be given another chance - only out of the top 10 in qualifying once and often challenging Newman-Haas, Forsythe and Jourdain.

Pity he didn't win a race... and the last chance went with Fontana's cancellation.

Last edited by x_dt; 23 Dec 2003 at 18:31.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 18:55 (Ref:819254)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manning is already history, having opted for Another Series.

I'd miss Monteiro and Moreno more than any of the others on the list.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 19:12 (Ref:819268)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Servia, Haberfeld and Vasser.

(Although I wouldn't be surprised to see JimmyV again next year).

I like Haberfeld, think he's got a future, and as for Servia I say "give him one more chance." But just one.

If the poll opted for four choices, I'd have also gone with Monteiro. Again, perhaps he'll still be here next year.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 19:14 (Ref:819270)   #6
Schuberth
Rookie

Schuberth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will miss Servia. He has never had 2 years with the same team. Close with Patrick but they ran a Reynard in 02 and a Lola this year. I think he deserves to be on the grid for 04.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 19:16 (Ref:819273)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, its Vasser.

He is the veteran of this group and has been a fixture on the CART circuit for quite some time. He also has more name recognition than most of the other guys. It would be a blow to the series to see another American open wheel driver go to NASCAR.

He is one of the very few Americans left in the series, and IMHO, OWRS needs to do all it can to attract and keep, good, competitive, American drivers.

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Dec 2003, 21:53 (Ref:819424)   #8
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmy Vasser, Oriol Servia, and Roberto Moreno.

I have always liked watching Jimmy and I agree that a lot of people probably recognize his name. Oriol is fun to watch and he's also really nice to his fans. And who doesn't love Roberto!?!?
Old 23 Dec 2003, 23:20 (Ref:819505)   #9
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I picked Oriol. He had so much talent, yet he couldn't get a win. He was a great driver.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 00:54 (Ref:819576)   #10
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
suzmac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Jimmy coming back next year and if so, any word on who he will be racing for? Last I heard he was going to retire after this season. Thanks!

Sue
Old 24 Dec 2003, 02:25 (Ref:819613)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jimmy - Put in a great drive, quiet possibly his best since 1997.
Manning - Fantastic driver, great personality.
Haberfeld - Another one of CART's surprise revelations, a real talent.

Popular to contrary opinion:

Oriol - I was an Oriol booster until this year. From the car/team perspective he had a real shot in 2003. Before I thought he had more than his results were showing. In 2003 there were times when he was quiet clearly the weak link. Perfect example - Go back to Milwaukee where PT obliterated him on cold tires several times. The difference between top level drives is slight and PT made him look like he didn't belong there.

Moreno - I don't think he has it anymore (atleast not consistently). Great guy, but it's time to move on. Put him in a series will slower, less agile vehicles and he could potentially dominate.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 03:27 (Ref:819636)   #12
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Moreno, he did a great job when he was in the Visteon car a few years ago but he's just getting too old for this gig. I chose Manning, Servia and Vasser on this one. Manning is a great young talent, Servia is a great driver who a lot of guys like; he just needs a better ride, and Vasser is a former champ. I'm hard on Vasser because I think he's gotten soft but the guy is a champ. He gives a name people know and we don't have too many of those left.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 07:41 (Ref:819713)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got to agree with Snrub about Servia and Moreno. Roberto's had a great career and seems like a great guy, but his perfeormances weren't amazing last year, especially consdiering how little previous form Dominguez had.

Servia didn't make good use of his biggest chance in what should've been a team capable of taking wins. The team had already fired him before Fontana, so a win there wouldn't've helped his cause. Giving Bell more time and keeping him for 2003 may have seen better results, as Townsend seems to have more raw pace.

The results so far seem a little unfair on Haberfeld, who was consistantly quick and did well with a small budget. He, Manning and Vasser would be my choices - at least 2 of those are attainable for 2004.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 15:35 (Ref:820034)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ServiÃ*, Manning and Vasser.

Patrick Racing 2003 wasn't Patrick Racing 2000. That was a team capable for wins, while this year's team just could be there if the others faltered. (with the exception of Denver)
I think Oriol did as well as he could. His only faults could be Miami and Monterey, but even in Monterey he had already made contact with Yoong, which more than likely contributed to the car spinning off.
There was also bad luck, like running out of fuel while in 4th at Long Beach, or being thrown into the wall by Fernandez at Surfers.
For some strange reason, Oriol's podiums seem little reward, while if other drivers had had three podiums, it'd be a great season for them. I don't know what more could be expected of a team that was closer to the back than to the front in 2002. I say give Oriol a chance, Patrick Carpentier was overshadowed big time -first Greg in 98, 99 and then Tags in 2000- but that doesn't mean he should have been fired from Player's/Forsythe. Patience seems smaller these days...
Old 24 Dec 2003, 15:48 (Ref:820041)   #15
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
servia, manning, Vasser- easy picks, everyone will miss moreno but Vasser is a real loss he is the long time stalwart and hampcar driver, a champ- the series could use his good demeanor and interview qualities of flat and easy going nature.
Manning did you see how excited he was on podium?! and in a rynard he is magic waiting to happen- i'll watch him in IRL but he belongs in the streets.
Servia- cheated by team inconistencies, and not having the mega team set up forsythe, or N-H he was close but a new car and just not the feeling of the team really pulling behind him- did you see the love in the player's camp? that was a team that would win a championship regardless, N-H would do real well, if they could have rallied behind both their drivers 100%, but i felt they faltered in allegiance, between the likable Bourdais, and the goofy Junqiera never backing one guy all the way...
servia should be so lucky as one of them though
Old 24 Dec 2003, 16:09 (Ref:820050)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to agree with the poll results thus far - I'll miss Manning as he would have been a great addition to CART, but I understand his decision and it must have been a tough one - there was no way he could be racing in CART without bringing a substantial amount of money he just doesn't have.

Servia I'll miss because he was just beginning to show some promise; however, on the other hand it was a long time coming - not quite as long as for Jourdain though. Still, he'll be a missed face.

Moreno because he's always been a fan favorite, a great presense around the paddock and occasionally had a good drive - albeit not many in his final year. I wish him the best in the future.

I think Haberfeld and Montiero should be in CART as well; however, they haven't made a significant impression on me yet. I think they could in time though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Dec 2003, 16:51 (Ref:820074)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
As far as Servia's concerned, I'm sticking to my position. There's no evidence that the team's potential performance is any weaker now than it was in 2000.

Three podiums doesn't seem like a great return considering that he was in an experienced team, and one of the few drivers signed on merit without sponsorship consdierations (Visteon's apparent departure may be influenced by the uncompetitive showings). Had we still had the teams who defected, he'd've been lucky to get one podium.

If a one-car team can't get behind it's driver, something's wrong. Oriol had plenty of time to gel with the crew, and drivers like Fernandez, Pruett and Moreno built up great relationships within the team. Had the team been able to run 2 cars in 2002, Jimmy would surely have stayed, Townsend learnt the ropes quicker, and the drive never have opened up for Servia. Pat ran Vasser out of his own money that year - now that's dedication.

He's very good on ovals, maybe the IRL would be a good next stop?
Old 24 Dec 2003, 22:53 (Ref:820236)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think relative to the other teams Patrick Racing was pretty strong in 2003. There were times when the team was upset because they felt they had the car but Servia wasn't delivering. I have to agree with them.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 10:02 (Ref:820690)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manning chose to go to the Insignificant Racing League. I hope he enjoys the flights.

Three drivers I think will be missed are Servia - as he appears to be a popular character - Vasser - as the most experienced driver, a Yank and character - and Haberfeld - who was hit and miss most of the year but certainly proved to be quite the pedaller.

Moreno will certainly be missed, but it was clear his time had come to bring this chapter to a close.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 00:06 (Ref:821000)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted Moreno, Vasser and Servia.

Always loved Moreno, he's just one of those people who really loves the sport.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 12:44 (Ref:821216)   #21
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haberfeld, Servia and Monteiro I'd miss the most. All are great talents.

Vasser, yes I'd miss him, but he'd most likely be in NASCAR Busch anyway so I'd still watch him.

Manning is in IRL and with Ganassi, so I still follow him.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 10:37 (Ref:889894)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Seems like only Vasser and maybe Haberfeld will be involved in 2004. It's a shame so many rookies haven't been given a chance to build on what they learnt, although Darren has landed on his feet and seems set of a good career.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 10:56 (Ref:889915)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Talk about revisiting an old thread! I was wondering how so many votes were registered in ten minutes! Interesting look into hisory!

I believe that Monteiro will still be driving, though.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 11:02 (Ref:889922)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I've taken the liberty of closing the poll - so that we can look back at a snapshot of the general concensus back in December.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 16:42 (Ref:890290)   #25
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh I've seen posts raised from the dead after 2-3 years before. Not on this forum though.

Last edited by jjspierx; 1 Mar 2004 at 16:42.