Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:10 (Ref:671168)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Why are you a marshall

I have only recently rejoined ten-tenths, so I dont know if this has been covered before.
What makes you want to be a marshall? I often think of giving it a go, to get an idea of what it is like from the other side of the steering wheel, but the thought of a 10 or 12 hour day in one place puts me off.
Also I am quite often asked for contributions to a marshalls fund in my race entry. As you don't get paid, what happens to this money and what expenses do you get, and who funds the marshalls and equipment.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:46 (Ref:671203)   #2
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Why are you a marshall

[QUOTE
Also I am quite often asked for contributions to a marshalls fund in my race entry. As you don't get paid, what happens to this money and what expenses do you get, and who funds the marshalls and equipment. [/B][/QUOTE]
Hi Falcemob, welcome back. In answer to your questions.
1) you do move around on post.
2)Contrbutions from your entry go to a raffle and perhaps to new equipment.
3) expences what are those? we sometimes get a tenner from JCC but nothing from anyone else.
4)some funding comes from MSA from (I think) some of the entry fees (I could be wrong)
5) we pay a annual fee to our club which mainly goes towards insurance.
6) We marshal because we love motorsport, cars, racing etc . A wave from a driver on the slowdown lap goes a long way and especially if a team of marshals have helped after a spin or a flag marshal has given a good blue.
Cheers Ian.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:58 (Ref:671222)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: Why are you a marshall

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Lewis
[QUOTE expences what are those? we sometimes get a tenner from JCC but nothing from anyone else.
That's you off the AMOC Christmas Card list then....they give us a fiver!!

I marshal becuase I'm Cr*p at Fishing!!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:12 (Ref:671237)   #4
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also the MGCC usually give a fiver and the 750MC usually give something!

I marshal cos I love motorsport and i'd probably be there anyway so I might as well offer my services!!!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:15 (Ref:671240)   #5
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Whoops !

Sorry, we get a fiver from those nice people at AMOC.

And if you do the G.P. for the three days its 15 quid

Oh I've gone all giddy.

Its not the money we just do it for the apreciation.
Cheers
Ian
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:17 (Ref:671242)   #6
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ere,
Observer

I thought you were hanging up your note pad?

Wrong again
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:41 (Ref:671409)   #7
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just like dressing up in funny boiler suits, and standing in rain & mud getting cold
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:31 (Ref:671475)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
Also I am quite often asked for contributions to a marshalls fund in my race entry.
As a Hillclimber here, this comment comes as quite a surprise. It is not one that I have ever heard from a driver at a Hillclimb event. That being said, I would love to hear it!!!

Is it just my ignorance or are hillclimbers asked the same sort of questions?

If so, then the same question,........

where does the money go???? :confused:

your comments pls.

Last edited by Stuart Hill; 25 Jul 2003 at 22:33.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 01:49 (Ref:671595)   #9
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falcemob - I think certainly a 12 hour day is unlikely at most circuits these days. Normally on a Saturday - on post is about 08:45 and a general curfew these days tends to be 6pm to 6.30. If you do a Sunday - it is even shorter. Lydden and Silverstone for example only do half days because of church services and Brands generally doesn't start till 10 on a Sunday. I would also say that you could move posts if you wanted to - we probably wouldn't actually cement you in all day! Please do come along one day - we would love to see you. We generally have a good laugh on post and we like showing off our expertise!
Also it is great to speak to people from the other side as it were and get a different perspective and viewpoint. We like to learn what helps the drivers and what doesn't as well!

Last edited by bacon sandwich; 26 Jul 2003 at 01:51.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 08:42 (Ref:671715)   #10
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most clubs put 10% of the entry fee towards marshals, clubs like the VSCC use this for the annual dinner and the ÂŁ6 per day we get for lunch, there is also a marshals draw and a reduced rate for overalls
Old 29 Jul 2003, 20:46 (Ref:674672)   #11
kevf
Rookie

kevf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I marshal bikes and cars and both have different ideas racesafe you get free overalls as do most clubs (ie new era, emra) it's also only ÂŁ25 life membership.. you always get a buttie box, most clubs give you soemthing at the meet even if it is only a fiver.

Why do we do it... can't afford to race and though i think I am good enough when i drive round donington to post 19 reality says not... so love the sport and easiest way to give something back and get in for free and free is good...
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:36 (Ref:674729)   #12
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do it to be involved - I could never spectate again (although with the safety fencing at Brands - it is similar)It is great to be a part of the action!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 06:14 (Ref:674947)   #13
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lot of the fencing at brands came down for wsbk
Old 30 Jul 2003, 07:22 (Ref:674976)   #14
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got conned by the daughter to go back after doing some in the 70's realy enjoy it the best thing is the long day's
Old 30 Jul 2003, 12:42 (Ref:675248)   #15
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Err, seemed like a good idea at the time
Old 30 Jul 2003, 13:47 (Ref:675322)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And you get your ugly mug in the motoring press

Seriously though, you get involved in the sport you love and go away feeling you have added something to the racing fraternity. What other reason could there be for suffering the weather?
Old 30 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:675336)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Frankly, I have absolutely no idea. It's just part of who I am now and I can't imagine it being any other way. Bizarre!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 14:35 (Ref:675352)   #18
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't remember why I started now - I think it was mainly curiosity. The strange thing is that for all the complaining that goes on the advantages do seem to outweigh the disadvantages. I don't think I could ever go back to being a "normal" spectator - it would just seem too wierd.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:07 (Ref:675669)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fell into it originally - was a club member as a spectator and they were inviting marshals for the RAC rally. Got to know the marshals and was encouraged to marshal at other events. Eventually wondered why I was still paying to go to circuits, and started doing them as well. Now I find I can't spectate properly any more, so I guess I'm hooked. Of course the main reason is I love motorsport, and get more out of it by being involved. If you've had a day where you've been able to do someone some good, then it gives you a feeling you can't get anywhere else.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:12 (Ref:675675)   #20
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
If you've had a day where you've been able to do someone some good, then it gives you a feeling you can't get anywhere else.
Excuse me but...........

just how does this relate to your current job at a certain "world famous" venue???? :confused: :confused:
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:25 (Ref:675683)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Working on that one!!!

The comment above was thinking more of drivers, though.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:26 (Ref:675687)   #22
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Pixie wanted digging out of a hole........

Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:38 (Ref:675700)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Sounds a bit twee but....

....I just loved going and watching motor racing, this was one way I could do the whole season.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 22:43 (Ref:676720)   #24
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do it because a EX-marshal told me it was fun. mmmmmmmm
I have never spectated and have no wish to now, I prefer to be part of the event, i suppose the adrenaline rush helps when out pushing/pulling/bouncing cars during the race
Old 4 Aug 2003, 20:36 (Ref:679924)   #25
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob

What makes you want to be a marshall?
Insanity...and the fact that i'd be there anyway