Old 1 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:677456)   #51
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs BlackX
How about another one for the rescue unit???

Who can sleep the longest in the cot's in the unit???

Oh no sorry.... They do that every weekend anyway!!!!

I know of one volunteer for that and he only wakes up when it's dinnertime.

Old 1 Aug 2003, 21:07 (Ref:677486)   #52
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs BlackX
How about another one for the rescue unit???

Who can sleep the longest in the cot's in the unit???

Oh no sorry.... They do that every weekend anyway!!!!

surely the winner would be the one who sleeps the LEAST !!!!!

Last edited by Stuart Hill; 1 Aug 2003 at 21:07.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 21:08 (Ref:677487)   #53
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd heard that they were planning on "spot the driver lying about the cause of the accident", but it was abandoned as it proved far too easy!!!

Hmm. Is that the sound of a herd of angry drivers?!?
Old 2 Aug 2003, 17:14 (Ref:677948)   #54
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great thread Clive (long time no see or speak btw)

You and a few others on the list may not know this but I've decided to take a sabatical from marshalling, why, well in the words of Mr Hickman (again, long time no see) I'm disillusioned with it all, I've had enough of being treated like 5h1t, fed up that no improvements have been made at the circuits for marshals and fed up that we are still treated like tresspassers, oh and I also hate catch fencing.

What is needed to improve matters, well just about everyone on this list and that puts a pair of orange overalls knows but unfortunatley we seem to speak a different language to the clubs we marshal for and the MSA.

Will I return .... who knows !!!
Old 3 Aug 2003, 22:52 (Ref:679047)   #55
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've been thinking a lot about what is wrong with Marshalling...and its a toughie.

Firstly, too many 2 day meetings, as a 17 year old i know its a huge social strain to marshall on Saturday AND Sunday, that means no partying on Friday night and even less on Saturday. No young people will want to saracfise their social life to marshall.
People who work 9 to 5 jobs, Monday to Friday aren't going to want to spend the whole weekend at a track. When will people see Family and Friends.

Secondly, too many events. With so little time to have a social life the rare weekend off is a good time to chatch up, fewer weekends off, less time.

Thirdly, poor grids/racing. People aren't going to want to marshall at meeting who have poor grids, or reputations for poor races.

fourthly, overally as equipment. people enetering marshalling WANT the clothes, no-one, especially anyone new, wont want to look like an outsider but also wont want to spemd £50+ for Fireproof overalls and other equipment. they need to be made part of the fold as quickly as possible.

thats it, for now. Please realise that as a 17 year old all these views are purley my oppinions but i believe that its my age group that needs to be attracted to ensure the future.

im working on the solutions...but it may take some time.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 23:40 (Ref:679091)   #56
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Smokey, what you say makes a lot of sense. Especially being made to feel part of the fold as quickly as possible. It's very hard to walk through pit lanes at big events to see garages lined out with £(tens of)thousands of flooring then go out to an unsheltered post and be told there's "no money in the sport to put huts up".

The speeds of the cars are on the increase. The corporate investments in winning championships are on the increase. The professionalism required from the officials by the teams is definitely on the increase. Something's going to give......
Old 4 Aug 2003, 20:27 (Ref:679917)   #57
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the solution to the clothing issue is to have a collection of old overalls from those who retire or buy new ones. people can be given a pair from this stock (with a deposit) and if they like Marshalling they give them back and buy their own pair, if not, they give them back and leave.
i was lucky enough to be given a pair on my first day, thank-you Mr D Winner.

thats all i've got so far...im still working on it.

b1ackcr0w, i like your signiature very much, ammusing.