Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2001, 18:24 (Ref:97361)   #1
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco must disappear as a racing track

It is boring to see the modern F1 cars race in Monaco. The track is not at all a racing track.

DC was a lot quicker then Bernoldi and he coudn't pass him at all.

It is the same with the Hungaroring. The races there are boring.
I know that it is a tradition to race in Monaco but racing like this isn't racing at all.

PS: How can I make a poll of this question?
Old 27 May 2001, 19:24 (Ref:97393)   #2
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JVA, there's already a thread about this subject here

You are right in saying DC was a lot quicker than Bernoldi but I believe Bernoldi should get the credits for that. He drove a great race.
Besides, the other Arrows driver, Jos Verstappen, passed three cars (while racing) so it's not totally impossible.
Old 27 May 2001, 19:35 (Ref:97397)   #3
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I didn't see it.
Old 27 May 2001, 19:40 (Ref:97399)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The link is wrong, Gerard. It took me to a thread on Ferrari photographs in the Historic Forum.

Monaco not being a racing track is one of the reasons why I think this is a great venue. The other reasons are history and heritage (yes, I believe it counts for a lot).

We must have some diversity. All tracks can't be boring, ultramodern like the awful Nurburgring or the "king of producing boring races"; Barrrrrrrthelona.

I actually found the race today quite exciting. Just a shame Rubens didn't overtake TGF at the end!

And - the track is not at all as dangerous as it's made out to be. Has anyone else than poor Bandini lost their lives there? Are there any other tracks with a long history that can say something like that?
Old 27 May 2001, 19:45 (Ref:97401)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ditto, R.
Old 27 May 2001, 20:26 (Ref:97423)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Monaco must disappear as a racing track

Quote:
Originally posted by JVA
It is boring to see the modern F1 cars race in Monaco. The track is not at all a racing track.

DC was a lot quicker then Bernoldi and he coudn't pass him at all.

It is the same with the Hungaroring. The races there are boring.
I know that it is a tradition to race in Monaco but racing like this isn't racing at all.
Took my words off my hands !!!
Old 27 May 2001, 20:43 (Ref:97430)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I agree, I do have a suggestion for the track that should replace Monaco or Hungary: Zandvoort, the new track is great and challenging:

Old 27 May 2001, 20:43 (Ref:97431)   #8
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks R, for pointing me to the wrong link. It now works.
steve, great suggestion!!
Old 27 May 2001, 20:49 (Ref:97433)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice track Steve !!

Could you give us more information about it ? Length ? Whatever ?

But let Monaco stay !
Old 27 May 2001, 21:01 (Ref:97437)   #10
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with most here, lets keep Monaco. It is a true racers circuit and lets teams that might not have a good engine a chance. DC would not have been 5th without all of the retirments. The drivers say that they like the track as it is a challange. Monaco is one of the 3 famous tracks known to almost everyone (Le Mans & Indy the other 2) It is a figure head of racing and about the only race I would give anything to watch on the F1 calender

SL
Old 27 May 2001, 21:02 (Ref:97439)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok: the Zandvoort circuit:

4300 meters long

track record:

Jos Verstappen (HOL)
Formula 1 (demo) - Arrows A21 Supertec 1:22.053

here is the new grandstand they have build this year(designed by the same people that did Hockemnheim and Sepang):

more info on www.circuit-zandvoort.nl
Old 27 May 2001, 21:10 (Ref:97445)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Thanks Steve ! I'm going check it out !
Old 27 May 2001, 21:55 (Ref:97470)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tell you what - if they give Zandvoort a licence to run a GP, I shall be there as fast as my legs will carry me. I always wanted to see a race there.

I certainly think Monaco should stay. The unique challenges it throws at the drivers are what make for a rounded, skilled World Champion. If there was little visible passing this afternoon, I was kept on the edge of my seat by the constant anticipation of a spectacular pass.

Oh-oh, I'm starting to sound like Max Mosley....

"Nurse!"
Old 27 May 2001, 22:01 (Ref:97479)   #14
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best part of Monaco isn't passing but the rate of attrition. You never really know just who is going make it and the last couple of races have been interesting from this point if nothing else......
Old 27 May 2001, 22:03 (Ref:97480)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It seems fine !!!!

It makes me think about the new formula coming. Certainly Zandvoort will show up with a possible venue for them...

Old 27 May 2001, 22:03 (Ref:97481)   #16
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Noooooo !!! Don't take Monaco off the schedule. It's one of the few sieves for talent that we've got. It should be kept just for the fact that it so sharply separates flashy form from true substance.

Closing Monaco is like closing Chateau Latour of De la Romanee Conti on the basis that you can get a hangover.

Put up with the inconveniences, pad the walls or whatever but keep the tradition going !!
Old 27 May 2001, 22:07 (Ref:97484)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula 1 without Monaco would be a very different animal. I would hate to see it go away. I think there is room on the schedule for one track which places a premium on downforce and makes passing difficult. if all the tracks were the same and stressed the same sorts of performance, I think it would be pretty dull.

I always loved Zandvoort and think that the new scheme loooks pretty good. However I have always read that its proximity to the shore meant that drifting sand severly effected the grip on the racing surface. Wouldn't the current breed of F1 car be a real handful in this environment?
Old 27 May 2001, 22:12 (Ref:97486)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Oh, really ?

Sand makes it look like a slippery surface... a new challenge !!
Old 27 May 2001, 22:26 (Ref:97496)   #19
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
...and lets teams that might not have a good engine a chance.
This sounds like a Red Cross Ad...
Chances ???, why ???, go and get more money for a better engine (sad but true). That's the essence of this, improvement, evolution, technology !, there are other Series for "equal opportunities".

Last edited by Speed; 27 May 2001 at 22:28.
Old 28 May 2001, 08:54 (Ref:97694)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Zandvoort,nice track Steve I would love to see that replace Austria..Monaco is SUCH a large a part of Formula1 history it would be a shame to see it go..It's the great equaliser, relying on pure driving skill and how well the machinery can hold up.. Take Malaysia gorgeous looking track yet it tends to produce bland races..Feels dead to me like the spectators are not part of the action. Stands look empty when they are not..

KEEP MONACO!!

Last edited by JeremySmith; 28 May 2001 at 08:55.
Old 28 May 2001, 09:28 (Ref:97707)   #21
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 can't be the same without Monaco, which is the strong link between old legendary F1 and modern racing. This circuit is honest rating of driver skills , while most of the rest are engine-tracks.
Old 28 May 2001, 09:51 (Ref:97716)   #22
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its slow its boring and most of all its OUTDATED!!!!
get rid of it
Old 28 May 2001, 10:31 (Ref:97721)   #23
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slow and outdated, yes. Boring? Never!

But most of all, it's the essential link with a glamorous past that helps sell the racing to the world. It has to stay.
Old 28 May 2001, 10:49 (Ref:97726)   #24
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

But most of all, it's the essential link with a glamorous past that helps sell the racing to the world. It has to stay.
I do see your point though

geez Ray thats twice 2nite
great minds right (lol lol )
Old 28 May 2001, 10:54 (Ref:97729)   #25
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great minds... really great minds...