Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Dec 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1480719)   #1
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Halifax Grand Prix

I always wanted a return of the downtown street race in my home town. The Moosehead Grand Prix as it was known as, was a season ending fly away race for the British F3000. It also hosted local club races, the local stock car touring series (this is how I got involved with racing, MASCAR), local club racing, the American Indycar Series (AIS), and in its final year at the airport, was host to IMSA GTP. Little did i realize how sweet it is now to realize I was at a GTP race, but I digress.

So the thought hit me....lets build it up again. Lets pull a Champ Car, and make the festival something that is more than just the race. But first we need a circuit. The original was just a bunch of straights, connected by turns. Sorta reminds me of a smaller San Jose. But there are a bunch of streets in the area that would make for a great race, in the same area.

So here it it the new Halifax Grand Prix, Presented by Alaxander Keith's (switched up the beer sponsor)

Sorry about the small size...just the way it came out

Down the front stretch on Robie St, the first turn is a 90 degree right hander on to Cunard. Short chute, into a fast sweeping right turn onto North Park St. The sweeping turn is really fast, and would make for a great turn. Another chute leads you to a quick left onto Cogswell. Here we even get a little elevation change. The city falls down to the harbour, and this blast down Cogswell is downhill into a quick right sorta continues as you start to come up the hill a bit on Gottingen. The following picture is from sitting on the hill looking straight down Gottingen. It doesn't reall give that much of a perspective of how the elevation works.

After the turn onto Gottingen, you come up the hill, and make a left onto Rainnie, than down the hill again. Its a quick blast down Rannie, and a quick turn onto Brunswick. This will be taken at full blast, and will make for a great passing area at the end of Brunswick. The following picture is one from sitting on the hill looking onto Brunswick. One of my favoutie parts of this circuit is the natural seating you get from sitting on Citadel Hill looking down on Brunswick, the as for mentioned Gottingen, and the passing area onto Sackville.

picture...

After Brunswick is the right handed turn onto Sackville. Great passing area, and there is a lot of room here too. Sackville climbs the hill a bit before leveling out, and making the turn onto Bell. This turn onto Bell is not a 90 degree turn, but has to be taken seriously, cause Bell is the fastest part of the track. And what a stretch it is...fast, wide, with a little bit of a curve in it to make you think. At the end is a chicane, with a lot of room for run off. This intersection has a lot of turns that come into it so there is a lot of run off. Great passing area, but don't mess it up, cause the front stretch, and pit area are after.

So there it is. My new Halifax Grand Prix circuit.
What do you think

As a comparison...here is the pervious tracks
Old School Racing

Last edited by pirenzo; 10 Dec 2005 at 22:43.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1480815)   #2
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks great Foster!

I like the look of it mate!

PAUL
Old 10 Dec 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1481401)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice overall layout Foster.
I like the second corner and the section thereafter.

The kink in the home straight before the chicane looks like it would be fast and pretty exciting. You can imagine the TV view back from chicane down to the kink with two cars bursting onto the scene side-by-side for a last of the late brakers moment at the chicane

One minor note, I had to turn your final image into a link, it was rather large and distorted the forum display a lot.