Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2000, 21:42 (Ref:18790)   #1
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i heard this from a friend:

fact: (from a friend)
when schumacher came in for wets, barrichello was about 20 seconds behind him. Schumacher came, changed, barrichello waited, then changed. Mika stayed out for another lap.

but my friend argued barrichello only came second because hakkinen stayed out for that lap (lets ignore fisichella here, because he was on a different case).
had hakkinen came in at the same time as the ferraris, hakkinen would have a very high chance overtaking barrichello. (because barrichello had to wait for schumacher)
so he suggests ferrari should let barrichello come in first, let schumacher stayed out for another lap, as he had more than enough time over hakkinen to do a slow lap on the drys. and barrichello in this case would not lose any time to hakkinen (had hakkine came in the same time as barrichello)... then schumacher will come in the lap after, and barrichello would have a chance to lead schumacher.

so he concludes its ferrari's favourism towards schumacher which brought him in in front of rubens...

so! sorry for my bad explanation/understanding, but if you understand, what do you guys think??? brawn's brain too fast or he just didn't think about this method?
Old 22 Jun 2000, 21:52 (Ref:18793)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, it's taken you best part of a week to sit down and think about that, has it ? Shame that they guys who were calling the shots from the pitlane only had a few seconds to make their choice...

If a team decides that, due to a sudden downpour, it is imperitive that both their cars switch to wets, should they stand there and argue about who they bring in first, or do they bring in the car which happens to be running first on the track ? hmmm... hard choice folks! Can you imagine if they'd left Schumacher out for that lap and he fell off the track due to the weather ? Would have looked pretty stupid, wouldn't it ?
Old 22 Jun 2000, 22:41 (Ref:18799)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way I heard it, It was Barrichello's descision to come in, knowing that he would have to wait.

He took the view that it would still be faster (and safer) for him to wait rather than do another slow lap on the wrong tyres.

If that is true then that was either a case of fast thinking on Rubens part, or another Brawn Idea that worked.

Also I don't think it would be good tactics to take the risk of leaving the race (and championship) leader out on dry's to try and favour your number 2 driver. Under the circumstances, i think the team did their best by both drivers, and got a 1 - 2!
Old 29 Jun 2000, 12:06 (Ref:20214)   #4
Leo
Rookie

Leo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking back it's always easier to take the right decision, but Barrichello should have stayed out one more lap. That would have gained him time, no doubt.
Hakkinen was the only one on grooved tyres on lap 46 and he was by far the quickest man on the track (including entering the pitlane!!). He was about 10 sec. faster than Fisichella on rain tyres and 20 sec faster than Wurz. (Comparing with other drivers is quite difficult, because most drivers changed to wet weather tyres on lap 45, so that effects their laptime on lap 46).
I guess their was some panicing going on, since Ferrari, BAR and Benetton had two cars in the pits at the same time. Obviously Hakkinen and McLaren kept their head cool, and took the right decision.