Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2889271)   #1
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
A rainy 24 hours, any benefits? *Aysedasi look over there* (CLOSED)

As it becomes more and more likely, are there any of you that actually see the good side of a wet race? For instance the likes of JJ Lehto in the McLaren in 1995 shining in the wet at night? Or are the downsides too big to overcome by the plus sides? I have been lucky enough (knock on wood) to only go to dry races thus far, so I don't know how good or sad/bad a wet race/week is. And yes, I'll be at the 24 hours this year, so hopefully I'll stay on the dry streak!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2889289)   #2
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont let Aysedasi catch you mentioning wet races, you'll find yourself in the sinbin!

That aside, I was there in 2007, horrid conditions all week really, but it did make things intersting right up to the point the race was killed off due to it finishing behind the safety car. As with most wet races the rain is a great leveller, but I expect it to be dry this year, if not damn hot too as I wont be there
Still, enjoy it no matter what but expect the usual diesel dominance.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2889339)   #3
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A rainy 24 hours, any benefits? In a word, NO!

Everyone gets wet and miserable, cars crash more, the safety car appears more, my beer gets watered down, the campsites start to look like the Somme.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2889341)   #4
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's still too early to predict, Accuweather and weather.co.uk change by the day. I think we will see some rain, but not everyday.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2889348)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
less mechanical failures as the cars are driven less hard
more crashes

grumpier, miserable and unhappy spectators.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2889352)   #6
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see any positive points for rain races neither
Old 1 Jun 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2889404)   #7
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm. Spa 24 hours in 2007. It POURED down. I had a whale of a time, as most other speccys stayed home!

Or is that a bit too "I'm Alright Jack" for Ayse???

*EVIL GRIN*
Old 1 Jun 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2889412)   #8
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was 2007 too, when the start to the Nürburgring 24h became delayed thanks to such a heavy down pour, that rain water impounded behind the armco to flow on to the track from about 2/3rd armco height in places
Old 1 Jun 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2889413)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well. We can hope for standing water at the Dunlop chicane on the first lap, causing a 7-car pile-up in which every single diesel is forced to retire.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2889415)   #10
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Well. We can hope for standing water at the Dunlop chicane on the first lap, causing a 7-car pile-up in which every single diesel is forced to retire.
Apart from all the downsides, we've found a benefit! Probably the only one though!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2889417)   #11
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Old 1 Jun 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2889434)   #12
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
....allowing the Astons to tour gently round for twenty-four hours, win and set fastest lap of over six minutes (or is such a time expecting too much from them?)
Old 1 Jun 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2889441)   #13
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
....allowing the Astons to tour gently round for twenty-four hours, win and set fastest lap of over six minutes (or is such a time expecting too much from them?)
Yeah, that time is waaaaaay too ambitious
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2889502)   #14
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im really trying to think how it could be good, but the only thing I could come up with is the possibility of an overall podium for Pescarolo. Audi wont have an open top car and the fastest of those this year in LMP1 by far is the Pescarolo. With agressive Diesel factory drivers like McNish, Davidson, and Rockenfeller there is the possibility several diesels could crash out, even though in a dry race the 9 Peugeot is guaranteed to have a crash with Lamy on the driver list. If Collard/Tinseau/Jousse have a faultless, trouble free run there is a small possibility of an overall podium in the wet.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2889513)   #15
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Well, we have to look at it from two different perspectives. Most people here are going to the race and for the spectators on site rain does suck indeed.

However, for the vast majority following the race from home, rain races are actually more exciting, especially if the conditions tend to change.

Remember 2008 with the rain in the morning when the Peugeots were forced to take risks and switch to slicks early..it was very exciting. With a such a close battle we´re expecting for the lead, rain just adds another level of difficulty to it.

So am I looking forward to have at least some hours of rain during the race? Yes, definately. Sorry for everyone on site
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2889528)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the wet races.

shhhhh, Aysedasi is coming.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2889536)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In the last few years we have had plenty of rain, i know the last serious rain during the race allowed the Maclaren to shine but boy did i get wet
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2889538)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep - I'm here.....

A rainy 24 Hours?

Does not compute.......

As it happens, my late father's one and only trip to Le Mans was in 1970, a race famous both for Mr. McQueen's involvement and wall-to-wall rain. He never went back.

I've been to Le Mans and have been rained on many times and I confess that occasionally it has spiced things up a bit.

But the discussion is purely academic. I have already ordered sunshine, glorious sunshine throughout the race, with a nice gentle breeze to help us to keep our cool......
Old 1 Jun 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2889558)   #19
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wet weather does spice things up, particularly in Formula Dull where absolutely nothing happens without it. But sportscars are always interesting, and de la Sarthe has a habit to produce excellent racing no matter the conditions.

Thou as a TV-spectator, would I really mind if it rained round the clock? Probably not.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2889597)   #20
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Wet weather does spice things up, particularly in Formula Dull where absolutely nothing happens without it. But sportscars are always interesting, and de la Sarthe has a habit to produce excellent racing no matter the conditions.

Thou as a TV-spectator, would I really mind if it rained round the clock? Probably not.
Thunderstorms predicted down that way over the coming few days, could do without that, thank you.

Boggy campsites on arrival, does seem to be the norm though !
Old 1 Jun 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2889602)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Some ran now would be good let it soak in and then the ground will not be so hard you can't drive the tent pegs in
Old 1 Jun 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2889604)   #22
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Some ran now would be good let it soak in and then the ground will not be so hard you can't drive the tent pegs in
That's true and it has been the way over the last few years, we've just about managed to pitch in the dry, I just hope we are as lucky this year.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2889638)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Course you will be - stay positive!!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 01:32 (Ref:2889734)   #24
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Course you will be - stay positive!!

Of course Ayse, I'll rephrase that : I know we will be lucky this year
Old 2 Jun 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2889746)   #25
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I admire your optimism!