Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2000, 12:33 (Ref:20220)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new buyer has apparently stepped forward, willing to buy out the team's chief shareholder Rumi. This buyer, the American Tony Johnson and his company, have already negotiated a deal for Ford to supply Minardi with this year's Cosworth V10, as used by Jaguar.

Good news or bad? Or should Minardi hold out for Supertecs or Ferrari engines????
Old 29 Jun 2000, 13:07 (Ref:20232)   #2
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not very good I fear. This years supertec or ferrari look better than this years cosworth/ford/jaguar. To bad they can't get Ferrari engines, they're the most reliable so far I guess.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 14:53 (Ref:20255)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...but it's an improvement over what they have now. I think its good news for Minardi.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 15:50 (Ref:20271)   #4
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news or bad, three to four year old engine or this years engine? I will enjoy watching them against Jaguar!
Just to bad Ferrari went back with Sauber.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 16:01 (Ref:20279)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mr S, it looks like you have potential to be a true "Minardinho"!!! This year's Cossies, with a bit of tweaking re: reliability over the winter, SHOULD actually a good thing. It's a shame the Ferrari deal didn't work, but I've got a feeling that, with Renault in F1 next year, the amount of development and funding available for a Supetec would be minimal. In fact, the engines may be pulled all together for next year. In all, a good thing, me thinks.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 16:22 (Ref:20287)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well....this year's cosworth engines suck. They have terrible reliability...but I think that if it is a long term contract then it could be a good thing for Minardi as the CW engine MUST evolve in the next years. But....I don't think that there will be a huge performance increase because the CW engine is not as powerful....therefore one can expect Sauber (for example) to outperform Minardi....at least in the engine department
Old 30 Jun 2000, 00:39 (Ref:20370)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I think it will be a step up. After all, the problems Jaguar are having are not from the engine itself, but from the oil feeds or whatever. Plus one year old/potential points scorer is better than 2 years old/hopeless in the first place.

Don't give up on the Ferrari thing!!! It could still happen.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 04:12 (Ref:20427)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Well. I Also hope that Minardi get the Ferrari engine. It would be a whole deal better than the Cosworth unit. Keep praying and maybe your dream will come true MF!
Old 30 Jun 2000, 08:04 (Ref:20439)   #9
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reality Bites

Minardi aren't going to get the Ferarri engine. They'll be running a rebadged Cosworth, or perhaps some form of Peugeot or Pug-based unit.

Why? Sauber's chassis is poor. Even with a decent engine they couldn't challenge for top3 in a race. We seem to be agreed that Minardi have a decent chassis, so coupled with a decent engine, they could start to become something of a challenge. They aren't going to start winning races overnight, but they could run happily in the top 6 with a second decent driver. Ferarri only need to lose another wheel during a pitstop, and a works car might get beaten by a customer car - a potential disaster. Therefore they'll supply a team with a reasonable lump of cash - and Sauber are a lot better off than Minardi are (but then so am I!!) and will be forever a midfield team, scoring points now and then.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 14:47 (Ref:20500)   #10
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Looks like the Peugeot/ATM thing is now the most likely... We'll know by Sunday.