Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Sep 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2017475)   #351
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
You had to buy a pitwalk pass for around 50 Euros.
Ouch, I had no idea!!!

We spent the hour prior to the pitwalk in the Spyker garage (a very big thank you to Sander! ) so just walked out of the front of the garage and into the pitlane when it began!
Old 18 Sep 2007, 22:18 (Ref:2017480)   #352
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Keep it at Silverstone, please, it's definitely the best circuit for a large grid of big bangers.
I'd dearly love to see these cars at Brands, but I must concede that Silverstone is the best circuit in the UK for the Le Mans Series, no doubt about it.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 06:52 (Ref:2017611)   #353
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I'd dearly love to see these cars at Brands, but I must concede that Silverstone is the best circuit in the UK for the Le Mans Series, no doubt about it.
I'd love that too even if it is a long way down for me! Be just like the old GpC days!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2017616)   #354
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So would I as I can get there in 20 mins from home
Old 19 Sep 2007, 07:23 (Ref:2017624)   #355
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ouch, I had no idea!!!

We spent the hour prior to the pitwalk in the Spyker garage (a very big thank you to Sander! ) so just walked out of the front of the garage and into the pitlane when it began!
AFAIK the pitlane walk was free to all and sundry, but there was a gridwalk as part of the package that was being sold on the LMS website, maybe that was 50 Euro's???
Old 19 Sep 2007, 07:37 (Ref:2017633)   #356
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella
is there a link for a full lap analysis/results etc? Don't work on MST site. Also, and this gave rise to my previous question, they list the Britcar 24 as being on the GP circuit, and LMES as being on the International. Is this right, and what's the difference?
See http://www.lemans-series.com/results...tone/index.htm for full results. BTW MST don't do the timing for the LMS, RIS do it. (http://www.ris-timing.be/)

LMS was on the GP circuit. The International circuit turns right at Becketts and runs down to a near hairpin at Abbey, and is about a mile shorter than the full GP circuit.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 08:01 (Ref:2017647)   #357
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AstonGeof, thanks for that.

I'd like to add to the comments above - Silverstone is the best place for this type of event, IMHO. Though the organisers really should allow in-circuit camping. Whittlebury Pk is fine; however the pricing is more in the corpulent-corporate binge zone. And as far as better food is concerned - well I guess if someone is brave enough to a) employ fluent staff b) have more than one of them c) sell anything other than default-carbo-death-trash then we should support them! Forgive my prejudice, but I definitely saw some punters who could do with some exercise between chowdowns - I walked the circuit twice! Bring a bike next time, mind!
Giant screens, and TV in the bar (not the 'if backwards') would be nice....

I was disappointed, as someone has mentioned before not to see the Lavaggi -and my brief view of his Lucchini in the warm-up was a rare sight!
Has that car ever completed a race???
Old 19 Sep 2007, 08:37 (Ref:2017662)   #358
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff
AFAIK the pitlane walk was free to all and sundry, but there was a gridwalk as part of the package that was being sold on the LMS website, maybe that was 50 Euro's???
...and incompetent management hadn't taken the trouble to properly explain the arrangements to those manning the gate to the pits. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. Well done Silverstone! I guess when you only have a couple of decent sized crowds a year it's strain on the poor dears.

As I said before if there was less elitism attached to motor racing this situation would not have occured and people would not have been disappointed.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 09:17 (Ref:2017709)   #359
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff
No, both the Pitlane walkabout AND the grid walk were both part of the package LMS (not Silverstone) were selling, as advertised on their website. A raw deal for the spectators on the day, but that's how the LMS pitched it.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:01 (Ref:2017856)   #360
jna
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
No, both the Pitlane walkabout AND the grid walk were both part of the package LMS (not Silverstone) were selling, as advertised on their website. A raw deal for the spectators on the day, but that's how the LMS pitched it.
Well, if that's the case an incompetance claim can still be fired at Silverstone for advertising the 'event' in the programme and their website, and also at the LMS if the exclusivity was not made apparent to the circuit organisers.

Whichever way one perceives the issue, it was a complete cock-up by those who clearly couldn't organise a tasting session in a winery!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2017920)   #361
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
...and incompetent management hadn't taken the trouble to properly explain the arrangements to those manning the gate to the pits. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. Well done Silverstone! I guess when you only have a couple of decent sized crowds a year it's strain on the poor dears.
The gents manning the pit gates at the weekend did a grand job, they knew who to allow in and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
Well, if that's the case an incompetance claim can still be fired at Silverstone for advertising the 'event' in the programme and their website, and also at the LMS if the exclusivity was not made apparent to the circuit organisers.
In all the paperwork, ads etc I saw for this event not one I saw offered the pits to the general public, the only ever mention of a Pit Walk was on the timetable - to me that's not a definition of advertising. I wouldn't bother "claiming" off the circuit either, neither they nor the BRDC were the organiser of the event, that was the ACO.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2017991)   #362
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is our report and 170-shot slideshow:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...e-1000-KM.html

I think the race was the most exciting of the year and I was thoroughly impressed with the number of spectators. Can't wait for next year!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2018035)   #363
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was suprised how many spectators were up the top of the start finish straight, around Copse and beyond when I watched the race back on TV.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:42 (Ref:2018037)   #364
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Great pics Wouter ..... thanks
Old 20 Sep 2007, 06:55 (Ref:2018488)   #365
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome photos, thanks for posting the link! Great memories from a great weekend!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 08:02 (Ref:2018536)   #366
jna
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
The gents manning the pit gates at the weekend did a grand job, they knew who to allow in and when.

In all the paperwork, ads etc I saw for this event not one I saw offered the pits to the general public, the only ever mention of a Pit Walk was on the timetable - to me that's not a definition of advertising. I wouldn't bother "claiming" off the circuit either, neither they nor the BRDC were the organiser of the event, that was the ACO.
No, I don't think they did a grand job. A grand job would have been firstly to have contacted those in authority to tell them that a very high percentage of those in line do not have the tickets with 'PW' on them, so something has gone wrong. The next step would have been for that assistance, or if that was not available or forthcoming, one of the three members of staff/security standing at the gate to have walked down the line pointing out to people that if their ticket was not as described above it was pointless queueing as they would not be allowed access to the pit lane. Instead, they allowed the situation to fester, and people waited in line unnecessarily. A bit of lateral thinking was required, but it was sadly lacking.

With regard to the advertising of the 'event', if the Walk was in the timetable on the web and in the programme purchased by the 'general public' that in my mind is telling those who have paid to access the race track that the Walk is for the public. If is was a corporate hospitality event or whatever it should have been designated as such and/or not featured in publicity available to all.

They, whomsoever they are, whether its Silverstone, the LMS organisers or the ACO didn't get it right. Too focused these days upon corporate hospitality initiatives to care for what they deem as the great unwashed.

I've no intention of wasting my time writing these people who don't give a damn, but I did complain in 2004. I took a young person along to the LMES at Silverstone, and arrived at the autograph session early, but even so there was a big queue. Not long after it had started Johnny Herbert and Alan McNish left the scene before we got to where they had been sitting. This did not go down very well at all, and I was upset that the sought after autographs had not been obtained. So I emailed both drivers via their website and politely said that they had disappointed young fans. Well, somebody replied on behalf of Herbert with some meaningless excuse, but Alan McNish replied with a very nice apology, citing public relations pressures. He asked for the name and address of the fan, and a short while later a Team Veloqx polo shirt arrived together with a signed card.

That's how to earn long term respect!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 12:07 (Ref:2018842)   #367
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
No, I don't think they did a grand job. A grand job would have been firstly to have contacted those in authority to tell them that a very high percentage of those in line do not have the tickets with 'PW' on them, so something has gone wrong. The next step would have been for that assistance, or if that was not available or forthcoming, one of the three members of staff/security standing at the gate to have walked down the line pointing out to people that if their ticket was not as described above it was pointless queueing as they would not be allowed access to the pit lane. Instead, they allowed the situation to fester, and people waited in line unnecessarily. A bit of lateral thinking was required, but it was sadly lacking.
A Grand job from my perspective. The people on the gate are Security. Perhaps you should write to Events Management to complain about their staff doing their job, but not going that extra bit for you/the people in the queue as you seem to believe they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
With regard to the advertising of the 'event', if the Walk was in the timetable on the web and in the programme purchased by the 'general public' that in my mind is telling those who have paid to access the race track that the Walk is for the public. If is was a corporate hospitality event or whatever it should have been designated as such and/or not featured in publicity available to all.
Did anything - at any time - state that the walkabout was open to the General Public? When I've seen timetables in the past GA walkabouts tend to have "open to all" or such verbage alongside. A timetable - no matter where it is published - is not just for the general public, but for teams and officials too, and is a guide as to what to expect at any one time. Again, a timetable ISN'T an advert, it is a stated list of the running order.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 12:20 (Ref:2018850)   #368
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did anything - at any time - state that the walkabout was open to the General Public? When I've seen timetables in the past GA walkabouts tend to have "open to all" or such verbage alongside. A timetable - no matter where it is published - is not just for the general public, but for teams and officials too, and is a guide as to what to expect at any one time. Again, a timetable ISN'T an advert, it is a stated list of the running order.
I'm afraid that that isn't quite joined up thinking. The timetable also lists an Autograph Session at the ACO Truck (that didn't say open to all - but of course it was). Simply stated, the PitWalk in the program should have stated (open to Pass holders only - simple and easy).
Old 20 Sep 2007, 13:11 (Ref:2018897)   #369
jase
Veteran

Quite "joined up thinking" really.
The ACO Truck was in the paddock, an area available to all - ie no special passes required.
The Pit Lane - closed to all except certain personnel - ie requires an extra pass to be there.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:05 (Ref:2018929)   #370
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, Jase, but if the programme issued to the public includes 'Pitwalk' without further qualification, it tells me that this is available to the public, and clearly many other spectators thought so too. It's not as if it would have been the first time that pitwalks were made available to the public as part of the days activities. I've been to two already this year where it occurred.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 17:37 (Ref:2019104)   #371
jna
Racer

[QUOTE=jase]A Grand job from my perspective. The people on the gate are Security. Perhaps you should write to Events Management to complain about their staff doing their job, but not going that extra bit for you/the people in the queue as you seem to believe they should.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 18:02 (Ref:2019124)   #372
jna
Racer

My apologies for the misspost above. I took to long with an edit and lost what I had said.

Upon reflection I now wonder what's the point of banging my head against a brick wall. I was wrong to queue. I didn't read the programme properly. My apologies for criticising such a well organised event.

Mr jase, I do trust you approve of my revised opinion as clearly you have inside knowledge of the situation, whereas I was just a poor member of the paying public seeking an enjoyable visit to the pits.

Last edited by jna; 20 Sep 2007 at 18:04.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 11:54 (Ref:2019650)   #373
jase
Veteran

I'm just trying to support the Ladies and Gents who worked long hours over the weekend (ok, so they're paid to - but even so), they're not here to defend themselves.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 15:37 (Ref:2019786)   #374
Speedman
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Speedman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm just trying to support the Ladies and Gents who worked long hours over the weekend (ok, so they're paid to - but even so), they're not here to defend themselves.
Hi Everyone, this is my first contribution to 10 Tenths.

Have to say the vast majority of 'workers' did a grand job and and I found them very pleasant.

Great LMS race, always something happening throughout the race. Shame that the safety car split GT2 so early. Well done to Virgo. Awesome result for Spyker. Have to say that Jonny Kane was very impressive in qualifying. Best of luck in Brazil, (If it happens!)

Only other gripe, pity there wasn't more in the line of support races. I was at Spa for the last round and the World Series by Renault and 911 Carrera Cup were great to watch.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 16:31 (Ref:2019825)   #375
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some LMS pics from the weekend are online here!

The only staff member I had any gripe with was the member of security who tried to usher me out of the gates after the grid was being cleared dispite me having a big yellow armband with TRACKSIDE written on it. The marshals put them straight though.