Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Apr 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1574114)   #1
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
britcar meeting today

well did,nt think i would say this but i actually enjoyed the britcar meeting today,but i think the weather played a big part in that.as the hail came down so the cars went off.needless to say there was some tidying up to do which took your mind off getting soaked. great team at druids,and look forward to next weeks f3/gt meeting.as i wont be camping for the meeting i will miss the drunken bravado (and the fairground rides which are breathtaking) ,and hope the weather stays dry for all you jolly campers.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1574134)   #2
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gald that you enjoyed it, I'm not going to beat around the bush, so, IF the Brit cars are at Oulton next year I won't be, due to the poor grids and non entertaining "racing", the weather didn't help much either, I was cold, wet and bored all day, this style of motorsport may suit some but not me, the cars were not racing each other as more racing the clock, which on the full circuit was like waiting for paint to dry, especially as the program listed 15 cars for the second session and there was only 7 and of that only 5 raced with only 3 finishing, I would rather try to have a half intelilgent conversation with my ex wife than have endured that sort of motorsport.
Sorry if my opinions upset, but I really didn't enjoy the day at all.

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1574148)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could this not be merged with the (Already merged) britcar thread?
Old 9 Apr 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1574230)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I enjoyed it, but then it's a rare treat to visit Oulton. However, the sometimes lack of track action probably wasn't great if you were marshaling...
Old 9 Apr 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1574334)   #5
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed it!

As a first experience of circuit marshalling, it was a great event. Was out at island, with Cliff, Nadine, Brian and co. Was made to feel very welcome and they put up with endless questions!

It's true, I didn't do much other than witness a few spinners that got back under their own steam, and hold a big sign saying "Hi Mum" - they made me put that back tho' and gave me one with "SC" on which was slightly more relevent to the proceedings.

I enjoyed the racing, maybe I'm "just a motorsport nut" but seeing 935's (replica), F40's and falcons race "up close and personal" with wipers going and headlights blazing through the hail was a great experience.

The 2hr saloon race was surprisingly good entertainment, with an interesting balance between the somewhat "works" E46's and the more "privateer" E36's. The pace of the JAG civic in the latter half was just breathtaking, he was on the limit lap after lap after lap, and I enjoy seeing that kind of commitment.

I'll agree the Britsports were a bit thin on the ground, but two out of three ain't bad!

The weather was certainly changeable, but hey, if we wanted warm stadiums we'd follow football right? Or sit at home watching the races on TV?

Thanks to all those out at island, and look forward to seeing you for GT next saturday (if I can get tickets!)

Cheers,

Ian
Old 9 Apr 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1574500)   #6
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to agree with the red arrows commander (pit bull) could of been brilliant but wasnt, s1 was only race with decent grids and in the first race i think the weather did us a favour, the 2nd race couldnt be classed as a race!
thats the 2nd year i have done britcar at oulton and i wont be doing it again!
its a shame becuse we all know how hard james tucker tries and if it was full grids it would have been brilliant.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1574563)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
personally i thought it was the worst meeting ive ever been too, the cars were great but the grids were poor, it would have been better to stick em all in one grid and have a 5 hour race! ive never said this before but i wont be doing the event next year and ive canceled my tickets for donington later this year too. im a great fan of endurance racing and i rarely get bored, but this one took the biscuit. on another note can someone please sort out the safety car drivers, i realise its a difficuit job but when the safety car is going so fast that the other cars are still at racing speed it kinda defeats the object! it made working under the saftey car extremely dangerous and un nerving. however kudos must go to margret/who evers idea it was for the tea break and alistar....his patients up at shell when we had the falcon off was much appreciated!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1574586)   #8
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_c_uk
I enjoyed the racing, maybe I'm "just a motorsport nut" but seeing 935's (replica), F40's and falcons race "up close and personal" with wipers going and headlights blazing through the hail was a great experience.
Absolutely! That's a great attitude to have; keep the faith, ignore the dissenters and enjoy our sport.

Like Ian, I love these kind of meetings because of the vareity of cars out there; GT cars, ex-touring cars, Group N and a fantastic V8 Supercar.

I'll go away happy from a meeting if either the racing is good, or the cars interest me. If both arrive at the same time (Formula Saloons [RIP] for example) then they're on to a real winner.

Good job James Tucker, and thanks also to the organisers for the free DVDs given out to marshals at the end, a much appreciated gesture.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1574601)   #9
mikep
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birstall, West Yorkshire
mikep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I had the best time yesterday at Knickerbrook with one of the best group of guys that I've marshalled with in my 2yrs of circuit marshalling. So big thanks to Bob the observer, Andy the IO and Andy who got landed with me all day. Yes, the second race was a little sad with only 5 cars but the rest of the day was entertaining and busy. Ferrari spinning into walls half way up Clay Hill, Ford Focus going for a play in our gravel, Ford Falcon being spun out of the lead by the 2nd place guy, the leader of the Britsport race snapping his rear wheel nut off and spinning out if the GT/F3 meeting is like this I'll be needing a vacation soon.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1574636)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
After last year's fiasco I said 'never again'; from what I've read so far, that was the right decision!

The problem with EERC in the context of Oulton Park is that there's a lot of hype, but no substance; maybe time to call it a day & let a club which can put on a good day's racing have the opportunity?

For me the concept of a meeting with nothing but endurance races is flawed. If you must run endurance races, run no more than one in any meeting & run some real races as well - that way, if (when) the endurance race is boring the marshals & the punters have the chance of seeing some real entertainment. The VW Fun Cup is a good example of that - as it happens, last year's Oulton race was good, not, I'm led to believe, typical of that championship, but even if it hadn't been, we had two good Formula Ford races so we we wouldn't have got the feeling that our day had been wasted. This the VWFC shares a meeting with FFs & TVRs!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1574689)   #11
James Elder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northenden
James Elder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the jury's still out really - I gave them a second chance, while Dad booked a holiday instead!

Britcars need more cars to work, Britsports just suffers because there are so many other things to run a Radical-type car in and the Production cars weren't actually all bad, just a long race - that first hour took ages.

The weather was amazing and reminded me of the F3/GTs a few years ago - I was at Lodge and we had an F40 will full lock on and it went straight! I don't think I have ever stood at a race meeting where the circuit is literally white.

Anyway, these sort of meetings really need to look at the VW Cup for example where they mix in a few sprint races. Variety always helps.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1574696)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
If you must run endurance races, run no more than one in any meeting & run some real races as well
...and i think thats why the EERC's 24hrs at Silverstone was so well recieved. If you put all the 3 races in to one at Oulton, i'm sure it'd be a blast but a race with 5 cars? Pleeeeeease that's just not acceptable. Its a shame their efforts have gone to waste, but don't let it put you off doing the 24hrs. Had that fallen on a different date i'd be doing that this year to get some 24hr experience before taking the Le Mans or Nurburgring plunge...
Old 9 Apr 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1574697)   #13
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep
Ford Focus going for a play in our gravel,
Heh, you too? He had two spins at island also! Bless him for laying on some entertainment for us!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1574768)   #14
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey
i have to agree with the red arrows commander (pit bull).
Apparently that was a highlight for some not many will know what this is about, but at lunch time I took my Nissan sx200 round the short circuit to burn off some oil (not dropping oil) that was in my exhaust system (with permission) so the sight of the red nissan with clouds of blue smoke pooring from the rear must have been a picture, I wonder if anyone took a picture ???

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 9 Apr 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1574774)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit bull
I wonder if anyone took a picture ???

No, but apparently Silverstone have shown an interest for the GP!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1574820)   #16
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit bull
Apparently that was a highlight for some not many will know what this is about, but at lunch time I took my Nissan sx200 round the short circuit to burn off some oil (not dropping oil) that was in my exhaust system (with permission) so the sight of the red nissan with clouds of blue smoke pooring from the rear must have been a picture, I wonder if anyone took a picture ???
SO was the Nissan SX on the back of the truck in the paddock minus engine, gearbox etc anything to do with you? Did wonder what the smoke cloud was coming out of the car that went round at Lunchtime was, thought you were laying an oil slick for the racing, not that it needed it when the hail storm arrived
Old 9 Apr 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1574890)   #17
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the whole I quite enjoyed it. Yes, the 7, then 5,4 car race was unfortunate but the 20 car two hour race at the end was OK. But my expectations were low to start with so it didn't take much to improve it.
Next year? Dunno. If something's on at Donny or Mallory I think Britcar could have a very lean marshal turnout at Oulton. Very lean.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1575050)   #18
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad
SO was the Nissan SX on the back of the truck in the paddock minus engine, gearbox etc anything to do with you? Did wonder what the smoke cloud was coming out of the car that went round at Lunchtime was, thought you were laying an oil slick for the racing, not that it needed it when the hail storm arrived
Yep fraid so that was my truck (ok the one I pinched from the company for the weekend), with the donor car on top. (guilty as charged your honor)

Old 10 Apr 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1575469)   #19
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I for one enjoyed it.

The grids were better than last year, apart fron the Britsports.

But the racing made up for it.

I think the grids will improve for next year.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1575486)   #20
Jan Gower
Racer

Jan Gower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A most enjoyable day in the pit lane. The teams were polite and a pleasure to work with. Thanks to all the pit marshals who helped me out, we were busy!!!!
Old 10 Apr 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1577539)   #21
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Dave Brand]After last year's fiasco I said 'never again'; from what I've read so far, that was the right decision!

The problem with EERC in the context of Oulton Park is that there's a lot of hype, but no substance; maybe time to call it a day & let a club which can put on a good day's racing have the opportunity?
QUOTE]
Sorry to say I have to agree with you 100% Dave, must also say I had absolutely wonderful 2 days Kart racing instead
Old 10 Apr 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1577555)   #22
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I certainly didn't fall asleep this year (which I did last year!!). Race 2 was unfortunate in it's numbers but at least it was only for an hour - which was then only 40 minutes I think when the red flag came out. Had a good bunch down at Island - three novices who all enjoyed themselves - so it can't have all been bad. Thanks to the Rescue Units for providing some shelter during the worst of the wind, hail, sleet, snowy conditions. Have to say the last race was the best - good number of cars and good battles down the field. Those of you who were not there cannot really comment on the proceedings. There are a mixed bag of responses and it probably depends where you were on the day - but isn't that the case most weeks at Oulton!!!
Old 10 Apr 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1577558)   #23
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl
Have to say the last race was the best - good number of cars and good battles down the field.
Though you didn't quite see *all* the race did you

Ian
Old 10 Apr 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1577561)   #24
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey - they were still on their green flag when I got back on post!
Old 10 Apr 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1577566)   #25
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
heh no time wasted then!