Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2003, 18:42 (Ref:478343)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
BMW looking good...

It has to be said that the new P83 is looking like a 'mean machine'. Its reputably very powerful, and has done several race distances without any problems.

Not like last year with the P82 when they had tens of blow - ups pre season testing.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 02:42 (Ref:478702)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see a few blow-ups - it means they're pushing it as hard as possible
Old 19 Jan 2003, 09:29 (Ref:478807)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much more improved do you think the Illmor and Ferrari engines will be?

Do you think the P82 could have been such a force they could race it in 2003 like the F2001 was?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 13:53 (Ref:478989)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well I suppose they can just "turn up the wick" on the P83 and get more power / less reliablity like they did in 2001 with their 'monster' of an engine.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 14:28 (Ref:479008)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If JPM and the media are to be believed the BMW last year made "about 900 hp"! If that is the case I dont think a power increase should be the main focus. Their motor still is not up to championship standards by todays standards. BMW would have to have had a perfect season last year to beat MS. They still have a lot of work to do. However I would think it is easier to work on one thing, reliability, as opposed to Honda who has to improve power and reliability.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:19 (Ref:479068)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BMW have proved its worth in qualifying. Both in the hands of JPM and Ralf it was a worthy opponent to the F2002. Races were lost purely on tyrewear which seemed to cut the Williams short on the larger distance. Somehow McLaren didnt have that kind of trouble.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:36 (Ref:479089)   #7
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Purely on tyre wear?

BMW.Williams lost out to Ferrari simply because Ferrari were better
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:39 (Ref:479096)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
I'd like to see a few blow-ups - it means they're pushing it as hard as possible
are you saying that Ferrari weren't pushing as hard as possible last year, esp with Michaels's car?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:42 (Ref:479100)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Purely on tyre wear?

Ferrari were better, of course, however, having the tyre designed for one team (and as Max Mosley put it, around one driver) is the biggest contributing factor there is.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:43 (Ref:479102)   #10
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Purely on tyre wear?

Perhaps, but the Williams' weren't that much behind in sheer speed. On raceday they simply couldnt maintain that pace and Ferrari could. And I believe that that is down to tyrewear and the characteristic of the back of the car. Sure, there will be other nuances to it, but tyrewear is -as far as a i can judge it- one of the bigger factors.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:46 (Ref:479106)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Being able to maintain that pace IS your speed. Like it or not, tyres are part of the package.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:47 (Ref:479108)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
are you saying that Ferrari weren't pushing as hard as possible last year, esp with Michaels's car?
They were - they had quite a few blow-ups on the private test tracks and in practice sessions, but they were red hot where it mattered.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:49 (Ref:479110)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Being able to maintain that pace IS your speed. Like it or not, tyres are part of the package.
So, is it easier to maintain your speed with tyres that are shot to bits or when they are in good condition?

I think i know what your saying, that the Ferrari handled its tyres better, and if thats what your saying then yes, your right, but it's easier to make the tyres handle better/last longer when the team is "in bed" with the tyre manufacturer.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:51 (Ref:479113)   #14
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
And Im saying that the tyres are the weakest link. So why disagree?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:52 (Ref:479114)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
If the car can't handle the tyres then it has no speed.

If Einstein doesn't have a pencil and bit of paper, it doesn't mean he isn't a genius, I'll admit, but no-one gets to see any of it.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:57 (Ref:479117)   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

The BMW certainly wasn't the cause for Williams' lack of pace in the race and this thread is about BMW. So if anyone asks whether or not the BMW is a good engine, Im likely to say it is. In fact, it may well be the most powerful one. The fact that the tyres cut Williams short isn't very relevant in this discussion, nor is the fact that the backend of the car had the tendency to eat its reartyres.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:57 (Ref:479118)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Well lets hope that Michelin can produce a decent tyre for us all.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 17:29 (Ref:479149)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
BMW had the most powerful but not most reliable motor. If they are able to replicate what Ferrari did last season then I will say the have the best!

Most of the teams are looking good right now because not many of them are pushing the cars to the limit yet. Wait till the middle of February.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 18:31 (Ref:479213)   #19
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
neilap i think you nailed it!

no team is going to push an push and end up with a blown engine or a crash at the launch. We need to wait for theseason to start to really see where all of the teams are at (I mean at the track not back at the factory as in the threat from the manufacturers)
Old 20 Jan 2003, 02:53 (Ref:479633)   #20
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that the engine is what's keeping JPM, Ralf, Frank and Patrick turning in their beds. True, the engine wasn't that reliable but if you take into account the reliability leap that they made from 2001 to 2002 then a similar progress will pretty much solve Williams engine concerns.

What williams needs is a "pole vault" leap in terms of chassis as last year's chassis was close to disastrous. And although Michelin tyres were no match for the Ferrari's.....eh....I mean, the bridgestones , they were particularly awful in the williams chassis and the one to blame was the chassis itself. Remember Magny Cours where Williams used a 2 stop strategy and went out with a hard compound while Mclaren went out with a one stop strategy and medium compound but while the Mclarens almost won the race the Williams couldn't do 10 laps without eating up the tyres and making the car undrivable in the process.

I would go as far as to say that power-wise the BMW was a great deal better than the Ferrari engine but there's no use having a hell of an engine if you're going to use it in a dreadful chassis.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 11:13 (Ref:479826)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharky

I would go as far as to say that power-wise the BMW was a great deal better than the Ferrari engine but there's no use having a hell of an engine if you're going to use it in a dreadful chassis.
Good point, although an Engine that doesn't blow up once in a race (michaels Ferrari engine) is better, no matter if it's slightly lacking on horse power.

We all ways hear about the BMW being the fastest, but is it as "driveable" as the Ferrari?
Old 20 Jan 2003, 14:28 (Ref:479992)   #22
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Its for these reasons that I say BMW's concerns may not be on power but instead releability. This year should be a turning point for Williams. BMW seem to be getting frustrated with Williams as much as when BMW was the main reason for the team not finishing races. Ferraris performance was proof IMO that their motor was not at its limit. They knew the tires and chassis mated so well that all they needed was a fast start to the race so they could cruise around while everyone else slid all over the track.

Williams will need to get in really well with Mitchelin if they want to compete with Ferrari. Williams MUST produce an excellent chassis this year. It will have to be better than Ferrari just to come close to matching it over a race distance.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 14:50 (Ref:480004)   #23
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would guess that the BMW engine is drivable. I haven't heard any comments regarding that issue from the drivers. Besides, the poles at different circuits (including winding circuits such as Monaco) would suggest that the engine is drivable.

And indeed, BMW is quite upset. I recall an interview with Berger when BMW and Williams announced their partnership for the upcoming season and he said that they had a 3 year plan which meant that during the 3rd year they should be fighting for the championship. And while the first 2 years went according to plan the third was way off. That's why BMW threatened Williams with pulling out and making their own team. Because if the had wanted to become champions in 5-6 years they might as well had started their own team.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 16:09 (Ref:480073)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
It sounds to me like BMW is has no long term plans in F1. After they win a title it seems they will take another hiatus.