Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jan 2003, 03:55 (Ref:464111)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Williams wanted Micheal

Quote:
From F1Racing.net
FRANK WILLIAMS has spoken out about his driver, Ralf Schumacher, and how the younger brother differs from five-times champion Michael.

"Ralf is still learning, and with each season become more focussed, he knows he must do more as a driver - Michael is not only fast but he's also a real commercial machine," Williams told German news agency SID.

"Michael is the main problem for all other drivers because he is so unique," the Englishman enthused. "In September 1995 I wanted to sign Michael, but we simply did not have enough money. We had set other priorities at that time for our budget in order that we could move forwards technically."
His comments about Ralf don't suprise me, and are acurate.

But the point about wanting to hire MS really shocked me. I did'nt know there was any interest to begin with and I also was under the impression SFW wanted his cars to be the star rather than a name driver.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 03:57 (Ref:464114)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course Frank wanted TGF. Who wouldn't? But TGF asks for too much money, and Williams have NEVER been prepared to sacrifice money designated for the car over a driver. Frank always puts the team first.

Ralf is still learning eh? Geez, must be a slow learner!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 07:19 (Ref:464215)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also name this thread: Paul Stoddart wants TGF !

Old 5 Jan 2003, 07:22 (Ref:464217)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Paul Stoddart wants Jos too so we can't trust his judgement
Old 5 Jan 2003, 08:33 (Ref:464242)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
really how wouldn't want Micheal?
just for a change it would be nice to see Williams not have a dig at their drivers jpm couple of day ago Ralf today . Its a joke!
just off my head I predict another also ran year from Williams
Old 5 Jan 2003, 09:07 (Ref:464262)   #6
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any team owner wants the best driver, however as Frank said they also have to be able to afford them!

Chris
Old 5 Jan 2003, 10:12 (Ref:464292)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Williams wanted Micheal

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

But the point about wanting to hire MS really shocked me. I did'nt know there was any interest to begin with
I saw an interview with Michael about a year ago where he stated that when he was leaving Benetton, there was interest from Williams, Ferrari and McLaren.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 10:21 (Ref:464297)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I knew about McLaren but if I recall Mercedes did'nt want him. They wanted credit for any future championships rather than the driver.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 11:07 (Ref:464317)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I knew about McLaren but if I recall Mercedes did'nt want him. They wanted credit for any future championships rather than the driver.

Intesresting ... those fouls .....

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Jan 2003, 11:12 (Ref:464319)   #10
JOSEPH SARANDOS
Rookie

JOSEPH SARANDOS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have always suspected they said that after they lost him to Ferrari.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 11:24 (Ref:464325)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, both Frank and Ron said that they'd be more interested in beating him than winning with him. Of course, after they couldn't get him...

PS: Mercedes not wanting Michael is a bit wrong I believe, considering that actually you may say that he was raised by them...
Old 5 Jan 2003, 11:57 (Ref:464346)   #12
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mclaren where very interested in MS untill 1998 when Mclaren and Ferrari where not on speaking terms. MS stated then that he would finish his carear with Ferrari.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 12:08 (Ref:464361)   #13
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How lucky for Damon Hill that MS didn't sign with Williams!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 12:10 (Ref:464362)   #14
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the end of the day money talked, even though Sheuy new Ferrari would take time 2 get to the top if ever he though what a good way 2 earn money and have the world believe that hes the greatest by draging them 2 the top.
Plus what other team would let u bring most of the Benetton crew with u.

Last edited by GXH; 5 Jan 2003 at 12:13.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 13:14 (Ref:464426)   #15
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the Benetton crew?
At the time when Michael chose to leave Benetton, he was regarded as the best driver of the field, at least the one that ensures most succes - like he is today. Qualifications like that come at a price.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 13:50 (Ref:464443)   #16
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In other words Schumi took the money instead of racing Hill on equal footing. Plus he might have asked that Brawn-Byrne move over with him. Things are getting clearer.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 13:51 (Ref:464444)   #17
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
How lucky for Damon Hill that MS didn't sign with Williams!
How coward is Schumi that he took the money instead of racing Hill?
Old 5 Jan 2003, 14:08 (Ref:464457)   #18
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Bull****. Ferrari paid more than McLaren and Williams. Thats it. Mercedes was not even sure they would be in F1 in 97. Only in 96 they decided to stick around.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:12 (Ref:464491)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think I'd ever say this but hey; Schu is a great driver and back in 1995 he was the best one out there with the package to help him to the title. If they could afford him every team on the grid would have been after him!

I do agree however that Schu should now be a man a race an evenly matched team mate before he retires its the only way to really cement himself as an all time great. Until then we've got no real evidence to prove how good he really is at actually racing. However, if it were you TGJ and you had to choose between a big money seat with the proposition of having a complete team built around you or taking less money with the real possibility of being beaten which would you choose?
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:12 (Ref:464492)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had two championships under his belt, of course everyone wanted him! It's a matter of what they were willing or able to give up for him.

Michael gravitated towards the Ferrari situation anyways. They had a _huge_ budget, but what's more the team was on the way back up. Jean Todt, though, was unhappy with Jean Alesi, and with Schumacher, found a driver who's methodical approach he could work with. Schumacher always wanted to reassemble the core of the Benneton team, but with more money, and in '97, that's what he got at Ferrari with Braun and Byrne. You never could have had Ross Braun working alongside Patrick Head or Ron Dennis!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:13 (Ref:464494)   #21
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
How coward is Schumi that he took the money instead of racing Hill?
He took the money AND an inferior car. And why shouldn't he? In 1995 he raced Hill in practically even-matched material. And destroyed him. Hill was never a match for Schumacher. Only Mika presented a challenge back in 1998 and 2000, but that was pretty much it.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:45 (Ref:464510)   #22
TheGreatJuan
Racer

He was scared anyway.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:50 (Ref:464515)   #23
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I didn't think I'd ever say this but hey; Schu is a great driver and back in 1995 he was the best one out there with the package to help him to the title. If they could afford him every team on the grid would have been after him!

I do agree however that Schu should now be a man a race an evenly matched team mate before he retires its the only way to really cement himself as an all time great. Until then we've got no real evidence to prove how good he really is at actually racing. However, if it were you TGJ and you had to choose between a big money seat with the proposition of having a complete team built around you or taking less money with the real possibility of being beaten which would you choose?
As a real racer I would drive for free if I knew I would have a competitive car.

Schumi went for the money because Weber could not get the contract with Williams and McLaren stating him as God. He priced himself so high that those teams would not be able to afford him. He is a caward because he avoids a competitive teammate at all costs.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:58 (Ref:464521)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
As a real racer I would drive for free if I knew I would have a competitive car.

Schumi went for the money because Weber could not get the contract with Williams and McLaren stating him as God. He priced himself so high that those teams would not be able to afford him. He is a caward because he avoids a competitive teammate at all costs.
You really are full of it, TGJ! I don't think you'll get many people agreeing with you that Damon would have given Michael a hard time in the same team - most sensible & knowledgable folks, I believe, would think that Hill would be very much second best to Schumi... I certainly do.

How twisted is your logic if you think it was more cowardly to go to a team that hadn't won in nearly two decades than to one of the clear big two (at the time)?
Old 5 Jan 2003, 16:01 (Ref:464526)   #25
speedchick
Rookie

speedchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
[B]As a real racer I would drive for free if I knew I would have a competitive car.

Senna once said he would drive for Williams for free. He was that keen on getting his hands on one of those cars. Dont know why SFW didn't take him up on it!
Closed Thread