Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 9 Feb 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1837236)   #26
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Most drivers who spin out or crash cause a caution. You keep using terms like "always." Please define. Do you mean every time he races? Every other race? Further, what caused the problem? AJ not hiring a proper stadff to help an inexperienced driver set up the car or is it that you have identified that each and every incident was stricly AJ IVs fault? How do you come to that conclusion?

Ide is not, I believe, a comparison as F1 is a different animal. Just the same reason I would not mention A. DeCeasaris here as someone who "crashed a lot."
That's also like comparing me to one of your shoes that happens to be older than me.
Grand dad foyt may not have had a fully fledged team but the fact is you can hardly call AJ inexperienced, he's had many season in the IRL now, and time and time again he's crashed and hasn't had a result showing he's worthy of racing in the IRL.
I have not gone back and studied every crash of his, but when there is a pattern and that he crashes alot, good drivers can overcome set up and and not spin out or crash and cause caution periods and ruin races. He does this oftern.
Maybe if he is in a good team and had six seasons of IRL racin' he may have some consistent top ten results on the ovals.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 17:00 (Ref:1837486)   #27
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9 Feb 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1837499)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1837513)   #29
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dude why are even defending this guy, you know he's horrible, he's not entertaining to watch, he just one car out their on the track and he dangerous. He shouldn't be in the IRL and im not going to waste my time looking up stats for you just so that you can stop defending him. If your a true fan of the IRL you would know he is a threat to other drivers on the track. I think its funny your sitting here defending this guy.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1837558)   #30
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
Dude why are even defending this guy, you know he's horrible, he's not entertaining to watch, he just one car out their on the track and he dangerous. He shouldn't be in the IRL and im not going to waste my time looking up stats for you just so that you can stop defending him. If your a true fan of the IRL you would know he is a threat to other drivers on the track. I think its funny your sitting here defending this guy.
are you a champ car fan and a Junquiera fan per chance??

AJ is gonna be in the car this season by the looks of things so we'll see how he does

At the end of the day, people moaning about his abilities isn't gonna stop TG putting him in his car because the Foyt name is good for the IRL
Old 9 Feb 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1837606)   #31
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be happy TG has not decided to drive himself!! Add in Herb and Roth lapping could be velly velly dicey.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1837644)   #32
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Be happy TG has not decided to drive himself!! Add in Herb and Roth lapping could be velly velly dicey.
unless Roth and Herb become competitive then I don't see the real point of them running part schedule's

they are just too slow,

Herb should have focused his efforts on getting Playa Del Racing into a full time team with Roger Yasukawa as their driver because at least he could run in the pack

who knows though! Perhaps Herb and his Racing Professionals team will spring the odd surprise
Old 10 Feb 2007, 00:08 (Ref:1837768)   #33
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well I thought I would look at some stats.

AJ Fovt IV

Starts = 48
Finishes = 29
actual crashes = 8

according to the stats on this page http://www.indycar.com/stats/driver_...#careerSummary

thats better than I thought honestly , but yes he is slow but hopefully 2007 will be better for him.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1837791)   #34
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
When your going as fast as your going in IRL, and anyone who is a fan of the IRL knows the speed these guys are flying around these ovals at, its not safe to have a guy who is so slow, makes bad decisions, and has hurt other drivers in the past with stupid on track mistakes.

I just dont think we should be sacraficing safety of our great drivers like Marco, Danica, Kanaan, Wheldon, by having hacks like this guy out on the track who could seriously hurt them, like he did Janquiera in the 500, just for a famous name of racer who has race himself for years. Its stupid, and The IRL's teams are picking up to many unexperinced or lousy oval race car drivers for some reason probably something do with not enough money and thats how people die. Thats why we had a death last year.

If you can't put some one good in the car then don't put anyone at all.

Last edited by Xpunk75; 10 Feb 2007 at 01:05.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 01:53 (Ref:1837811)   #35
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
If you can't put some one good in the car then don't put anyone at all.
That would be interesting! By the time you got rid of everyone who didn't measure up there would be a lot of empty seats!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 02:09 (Ref:1837821)   #36
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Indeed it would be, it's sad but true, but isn't driver saftey more important? then just filling the track with enough cars & Drivers that are not up to speed just to make IRL series look healthy.

I think we need to take a step back and look at the IRL diffrent eyes.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 02:23 (Ref:1837827)   #37
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he didn't have the last name they'd never let him anywhere near a car.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1838705)   #38
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
look how woeful Carpenter was in his first seasons

he ended up being fairly quick last season

perhaps AJ just needs time in a half decent car??

just trying to balance the books here people
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1838794)   #39
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, Nelson Philippe springs to mind as someone who had nothing more going for him than a lot of cash when he started. He seems to have developed into a somewhat serviceable driver.

Guys like Geoff Boss had $$ but not much of the talent.

You could do worse than to have the Foyt name to start with.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1838805)   #40
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Ok first of all Nelson Phillipe was 16 or 17 when first started driving in CC. Second It's CC, who race on Street Tracks and Road Courses and use to race on the mile but dont anymore. Where on any of the tracks that CC race do you see them reach over 200 miles an hour for longer then a period of few seconds if they ever reach it. If Nelson Philipe causes a crash in CC the drivers get angry and everyone goes home. If Foyt screws up again at a super speedway at 200 miles an hour he could kill someone.

Second of were about the IRL here, not CC so why are we bringing drivers from a completely diffrent series for examples of drivers who took time to develop. While honing your craft at racing on street tracks and roadcourses is much more difficult then racing oval tracks, their much less forgiving if you make a dumb mistake. I'm telling you guys, AJ Foyt IV should not be racing in the IRL he's dangerious.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1838861)   #41
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Xpunk75, well, I am not going to be enticed into the old: "Oval vs Road Racing, which is more difficult?" discussion. Been there, done that. Appreciate though that you admit that racing at speeds in excess of 200 mph takes a high level of skill and talent such as you may not find in CC as they do not race on tracks that allow such speeds.

For myself, when comparing drivers, I am not going to limit myself. There are so many examples of different types and styles and talent level that it makes for a more interesting discussion to include even CC drivers.

You seem fairly impressed by speed on the ovals. Have you ever been to a dirt track race? You sould try going sometime! If you want to see fast there is nothing like seeing an open wheel vehicle doing 140 - 160 mph on wet clay.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1838866)   #42
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Yeah I mean I can't say for myself which is more Difficult, Road Racing or Ovals, cause I've never driven a Race Car on ether. I just going off what I see and simulators ive played on my computer.

As far as Dirt Racing, when I was much younger I use to stay up and watch the Sprint Cars on TV, it was always alot of fun, i bet its 10 times better in real life. Although im not sure if they come to michigan anymore if ever?
Old 11 Feb 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1838870)   #43
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Xpunk, you need to just check your local newspapers. Michigan has a ton of local dirt tracks - you don't need to see the World of Outlaws to see good, fast dirt-track racing.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1839537)   #44
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I don't personally find oval racing very challenging, just my opinion, certainly in a flat out indy car with more downforce then needed, BUT; I do find the... world of outlaws not midgets but the very nice looking slip streamed Saloon shapped cars which go quite fast on the dirt 1/4 mile flat ovals drifting quite challenging.. Quite spectacular to watch..
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1839642)   #45
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I don't personally find oval racing very challenging, just my opinion, certainly in a flat out indy car with more downforce then needed,
how many races you done?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1839647)   #46
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
What's that relevant to?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1839651)   #47
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
What's that relevant to?
you said you didn't find oval races very challenging

so, how many races have you done?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1839718)   #48
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
That's irrelevant. I said my opinion I wasn't saying it is or isn't. I personally found the ovals that are not flat out and the old CART cars that were faster and didn't have as much downforce and harder to drive more of a challenge then the current IRL cars on the current ovals which quite a few are easierly flat. Judging not just by what I see but from drivers who have driven both over time. I still enjoy oval racing today of course the Indy 500 just not the biggest fan of how currently things are. Like the way the drivers just stick down low all the time and not like the days at Michigan when Montoya and Andretti both did high and medium lines that was racin'. But CC did the same thing at Vegas so not just that. But this is going off topic...

Last edited by luke; 12 Feb 2007 at 20:35.