Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 16 Feb 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1842982)   #26
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
If it wasn't for the altered starting time we'd see a couple of NASCAR drivers do the double each year, I'm sure.

Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon would definitely be back, no question about it. Casey Mears and Kasey Kahne would probably try the double as well.

There are some other drivers who have expressed interest in giving the Indy 500 a shot, but out of those I think Dale Earnhardt Jr. is one of the few who would actually be prepared to try it.

Sorry, but what is the point about Kahne and Dale Jr doing Indy 500?

Ok, it makes some sense for Casey Mears to race there, as he has some open wheel experience; for Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon, obviously, and maybe even JJ Yeley, as IRL was supposed to be the series for this kind of guys (from open wheel dirttracking).

But Kahne and Dale Jr... I just can't imagine them doing anything (good or bad) in single seater... yeah, they are decent racers and sometimes look brilliant, but for me they are pure stock car racers.... wrong perception?... Don't know too much about past racing experience of Kasey, but Dale Jr, I reckon, didn't drive anything but stock cars since at least late 90's (ok, he did some races in endurance-racing Corvettes, but it's still a tin top).

Of course, Stewart (and Gordon with Mears to some extent) proved, that it's possible to be more or less successfull in stock cars, coming from single seater racing, but is it realistic to do this the other way around, especially if it's only one-off at Indy, not a complete switch with some years of "practicing".... (Tony, Casey, JJ - they all spent at least one season in Busch Series, and I reckon, tested cars for their future Cup teams) ....before trying to fight for top places in highest division races.

I think, IRL would not mind to have Earnhardt, Kahne and Jeff Gordon racing in between Indy 500 regulars, but I have serious doubts, that these drivers will find it very attractive from racer perspective and therefore will consider it for real, not just annually dreaming in interviews "Yeah, I wanna be at Indy... not this year, but next year for sure".

After all, they already have Brickyard 400, where they clearly have better chances to succeed in their racing life.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1843001)   #27
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
so how does he select the teams to fund??

different teams pop up at Indy every year? do they approach him for help, does he approach them? why didnt he fund PDM to run Ben Collins in 2004??

i think people like to believe what they want, alot of it isnt true

they is so much BS still talked about the IRL, over 10 years since its creation, shame
Stradlin, I haven't heard much but I do know mr TG does support teams in the IRL financially. The only facts I know is from Autocourse 2003-2004 and that he had spent $300 million alone from 1996-2003.
Mr KK have helped also Champ Car over the years that's also no secret...But the actuations over Miller are OTT, as DRT said he calls it like he sees it be it any series.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 14:48 (Ref:1843190)   #28
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Is he ? The thing I have always found good about Miller is that he'll bag anything. Whether IRL, CC, Nascar, F1. He calls them as he sees them.

You obviously have pretty selective viewing of what goes on around here.
You must be joking or you don't follow the sport ver closely
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1843289)   #29
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
open your eyes people!

Miller is heavily involved with the Champ Car website for goodness sake

nuff said
Old 17 Feb 2007, 00:47 (Ref:1843496)   #30
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and this thread is all about Michael Andretti running the Indy 500

Lets get back on topic please.

alot of people are saying its great to see him back and in a way Im saying the same thing but there has to be a point where as a driver you have to say no more (allthough to divert off to nascar for a minute I guess James Hylton breaks that mould)
while Michael see's Indy as a burning desire should there be a time where he says "its just out of my reach"

dont get me wrong Im happy to see him have another go but how long will he continue to do this each year ?

will we still see him in 10 years trying to win Indy ?

we all remember what happened to his father when he last jumped into an Indycar.

I guess he has asked himself the question "is it worth it ?" and so far he keeps coming up with a Yes.

good luck Michael I hope you do well
Old 17 Feb 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1843664)   #31
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And that's the good thing about Indy, the best drivers keep coming back, not like F1 where they dissapear way too quickly like Villeneuve, Hakkinen
Old 17 Feb 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1843666)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I have watched Michael since he was in Formula Fords. Seeing him at my local track, Nelson Ledges was a highlight for me. Why? Because it was clear to me that this was a guy who was trying to learn his craft by racing everywhere. At the time, Nelson Ledges was a primitive place lacking even flush toilets. Ahh! How well I remember those 5-hole outhouses in August! He could have spent his early career at the more fashionable spots (the Glen, Riverside, Laguna Seca, etc) but he went to tracks like Nelson's as well. Now that is determination.

Anyway, on the track the kid had the goods. He has shown he had the goods at every level, including F1. He failed at F1 for a number of reasons but he had the speed, no question.

My personal opinion is that this is a guy who had his dad's resume hung on his back early and had most of the racing world expecting/demanding greatness of him (not unlike playing football for England - "England expects..."). And he delivered. Big time. When CART was at it's pinnacle Michael was a force to be reckoned with. Even with the diluted fields of the past few years, PT has still won only half the number of races Michael has won.

In my opinion, Michael retired not because he lacked the skills or desire. I think he just got sick of being "Mario's son."

He still has the goods. We saw that at Indy last year. He was in better physical shape than he has been in years. You can see the desire in his eyes. I think he will give it 2, possibly 3 more seasons and then hang it up for good.

And I hope he wins it before he goes. Because he is a great driver, a great champion and because he will have earned it.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 14:09 (Ref:1843723)   #33
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
i heard that Cheever has plans for Indy aswell

although it seems more likley he will run a car for another driver (Enge or Papis) he hasnt ruled out racing himself

two Andretti's and Cheever on track at the same time, could be fun
Old 17 Feb 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1843730)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheever back as a driver, BAD. He is too slow and for sake he's in GP masters.

Michael, has passed his best ages a go, he could have done better in F1 but he did not have the speed.
Michael may have a consistent finish but he doesn't have the pace anymore, hence his son and Hornish were many MPH lap faster. But never the less its nice to see him back, but he must call it and end sometime.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1843795)   #35
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good grief John! The Ledges is where I first saw Michael as well!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1843804)   #36
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke

Michael, has passed his best ages a go, he could have done better in F1 but he did not have the speed.
Michael may have a consistent finish but he doesn't have the pace anymore, hence his son and Hornish were many MPH lap faster. But never the less its nice to see him back, but he must call it and end sometime.

yep, Cheever's performance last season was fairly terrible, his best run probably coming at Indy where both he and Papis finished in the top 15.

i still think though that if he had the backing he would bring something to the IRL as a team owner again, Rice, Scheckter, Barron and Carpentier all raced for Cheever's team

Michael has passed his best but at Indy you never know what will happen
Old 17 Feb 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1843929)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Michael may be "past his best" but at Indy experience counts for a great deal - not to mention that imho, he is not that far past it.

Leighton, funny how paths can cross, eh? I can't remember the exact year but I know that if he was running a National race I would have been there as a spectator as I did not race any Nationals myself.

Right about the same time a younger, much slimmer Chip Ganassi was running FF as well. He actually was not a bad driver either. His accident at Michigan put paid to a young career. He was very fortunate to have survived that one! I remember watching it on TV and thinking "I just watched someone I know get killed..."

Iirc, Chip was a rookie of the year at Indy, was he not? Anyway, Michael is still quick, talented and I believe more patient. He may just get his face on the Borg-Warner yet.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1843961)   #38
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I was spectating too. Rare at that time. I had left the Atlantics and was often at the Ledges with the Cdn. Formula 4 cars, 750cc Motorcycle engines on methanol.
We used to rent the track for testing when I was with the Atlantic series as the Ledges had several corners that were similar to ones on the seies tracks.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 22:12 (Ref:1844000)   #39
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

if he loves to race and is determined to come back he should, he came close last year, if he loves to compete in the sport he should do it as long as he can.

i personally think an andretti will win the 500 this year, if not hornish will win it, because he is the master.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1844011)   #40
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
My favorites were Turn 4 ("Oak Tree") and the 12/13 complex before the front straight. I liked to pass people on the inside of 4 - with as much of the car in the infield as I could manage. I daresay the corner workers loved it!

The Carousel was a hoot, too - especially when it was raining!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1844187)   #41
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How was he to do better in F1 if he didn't have the speed. I'm confused. Not at least because he did have the speed. Just not the luck, work ethic and patience.
I'm not going to pull it open, but his qual record for that year stands on its own, and he's got a podium under his belt.

Quote:
I'm not sure what a "Consistent finish" is in this context, i'm asuming that you are refering to Michael's consistency. Consistancy over speed is a factor of racing, and is something many drivers have used. Like one Mario Andretti.
And i'm not sure what is wrong with him having annother go because no matter what you say, he still has the speed and brains to do it.
And plus he did decide to stop a while back, so you can't hold that against him either.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1844472)   #42
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
How was he to do better in F1 if he didn't have the speed. I'm confused. Not at least because he did have the speed. Just not the luck, work ethic and patience.
I'm not going to pull it open, but his qual record for that year stands on its own, and he's got a podium under his belt.

I'm not sure what a "Consistent finish" is in this context, i'm asuming that you are refering to Michael's consistency. Consistancy over speed is a factor of racing, and is something many drivers have used. Like one Mario Andretti.
And i'm not sure what is wrong with him having annother go because no matter what you say, he still has the speed and brains to do it.
And plus he did decide to stop a while back, so you can't hold that against him either.
I don't know what you are confused about Its simple! He could have done better in F1 but did not have the speed. His current racing now is past his best of what he was hence he isn't as fast but his experience which is vast does compensate.
But he doesn't have the speed anymore, but like I said his experience and consistency will help its just when you get to a certain point its time to hang up your helmet just like Mario.
Usually when you are no longer as fast as you used to be most drivers quit. Michael if he continues on much longer may end up like Al and further off the pace and wonder why he's there.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1844678)   #43
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Michael was an excellent racer, but it stands to reason that if he's not doing it on a regular basis that he is going to be rusty. I really think that he was a lot better than his record would suggest. A lot of the later years in CART resulted in very few wins per season. He was also unlucky to only win one CART championship. (for instance in '96 he probably drove better than Vasser) I don't think his F1 experience had much to do with his real talent behind the wheel.

As for his motivation for running Indy, I suspect it has more to do with sponsors and less to do with personal motivation, but you never know. Michael is a profoundly negative individual, almost polar opposite to his father. He's definately seemed happier as a team owner. A couple of years ago Mario went so far as to say that he didn't know if Michael ever really enjoyed racing, but that he enjoyed the business side.

I tend to think that running five cars and Michael being one of the racers has to be a bit distracting for the team. Logistically it has to be difficult and there's a reason Penske and Ganassi only run 2 cars through the regular season while AGR runs 4.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 10:38 (Ref:1845377)   #44
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
michael andretti was great in CART and indy series. but F1 he was hopeless, senna thrashed him, althought senna was probably gonna thrash any teamate. but why andretti couldnt keep it on the road, or actually pick up some speed is beyond me. F1 wasnt for michael as it wasnt for zanardi etc.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 12:27 (Ref:1845458)   #45
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
You don't follow IPS very much I guess...
The IPS looks very strong this year with something like 22-24 cars for the full season, ayleasy 4 teasm have already talked about a potential Indy 500 program, Cheever, SSM, Team KMA and the team CR Crews is running for, can't remember the name
You could hardly be further from the truth with respect to my following of the IPS. Despite not having any coverage in the UK I'm a keen follower from afar and the story behind my previous post was that I had observed a fairly healthy looking 2007 IPS field without too many obvious TG paid for cars. Sadly reporting on IPS is virtually nil here so everything I pick up tends to be very second hand info.

I suspected it might be possible for these IPS teams to step up into a one off ride but had no specific knowledge so thought I'd just ask the question.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1845464)   #46
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I tend to think that running five cars and Michael being one of the racers has to be a bit distracting for the team. Logistically it has to be difficult and there's a reason Penske and Ganassi only run 2 cars through the regular season while AGR runs 4.
Have to agree here, although in fairness AGR have had plenty of success as a 4-car outfit too, although this was in the Honda special engine days. Where I do fear for AGR this year is that Marco is still going to be learning and Danica is going to be either learning to run at the front or is going to be nursed along to improve. Tony and Dario pretty much just amble along as they have done for the past few years. But those other two will need (and deserve) a lot of attention so i'm not sure how much extra energy the team could find to run a successful 5th car for the boss.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1845748)   #47
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As for Michael's F1 issues, I'm sure we don't want to get into that. SpeedTV on this side of the pond showed old F1 races until last year. I watched a decent amount of the '93 season. One of the problems was that testing and practice were practically eliminated making it very difficult for a new driver to come in. Top level drivers in the same car don't drive with massive multi-second differences in lap times. Michael didn't know the tracks, but often as the races would progress he would catch on and be fairly decent. Qualifying was always a disaster. Michael is a bit of a headcase (very negative) so I think he kicked himself when he was down. He wasn't committed to it either. MH outqualified Senna in his first race, so Senna wasn't doing some ungodly performance that no one else could emulate.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1845749)   #48
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Toropov
Sorry, but what is the point about Kahne and Dale Jr doing Indy 500?

But Kahne and Dale Jr... I just can't imagine them doing anything (good or bad) in single seater... yeah, they are decent racers and sometimes look brilliant, but for me they are pure stock car racers.... wrong perception?... Don't know too much about past racing experience of Kasey, but Dale Jr, I reckon, didn't drive anything but stock cars since at least late 90's (ok, he did some races in endurance-racing Corvettes, but it's still a tin top).

I think, IRL would not mind to have Earnhardt, Kahne and Jeff Gordon racing in between Indy 500 regulars, but I have serious doubts, that these drivers will find it very attractive from racer perspective and therefore will consider it for real, not just annually dreaming in interviews "Yeah, I wanna be at Indy... not this year, but next year for sure".
Kasey Kahne's background is primarily in single-seaters. He won the USAC Midget championship in 2000, and won 13 national USAC races (11 midget and two Silver Crown) from 1999 to 2001. Before signing with NASCAR, he had an IRL test with Panther Racing. It was a huge disappointment to the open-wheel community when he signed with NASCAR, as he was exactly the kind of young successful sprint car driver that the IRL needed.

Morever, Kahne has made no secret of the fact that his ultimate goal in racing is not to win the NASCAR Nextel Cup championship, but the Indy 500. In this article, which covers his open-wheel career in detail, he is quoted as saying,

"But I've got to win the [NASCAR] championship first," he said. "After that, I think I can talk people into it. Of course that's definitely my heart talking."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...608040422/1054

Kahne drives stock cars for a living, and I'm sure that he loves doing so. But by both experience and inclination, he'd be perfect in the Indy 500.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 00:49 (Ref:1845965)   #49
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
See also Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart as guys who started out in open wheelers and would like to win the 500.