Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:17 (Ref:830724)   #1
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PG's Plans for Future of OWRS ?!?!

A MUST READ = http://www.freep.com/sports/otherspo...7_20040107.htm

Not that we all didn't know that PG is dreaming of a merger, but depending on how successful OWRS will be in the next two years - there definitely is a possibility of a merger sometime after 2006 (last year for most IRL contracts) ?!

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 7 Jan 2004 at 17:18.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:23 (Ref:830727)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
PG: "We've... had the new car in the wind tunnel in England."

What kind of development work are they allowed to do?
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:35 (Ref:830740)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: PG's Plans for Future of OWRS ?!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
A MUST READ = http://www.freep.com/sports/otherspo...7_20040107.htm

Not that we all didn't know that PG is dreaming of a merger, but depending on how successful OWRS will be in the next two years - there definitely is a possibility of a merger sometime after 2006 (last year for most IRL contracts) ?!

zerO
Remember zero, don't believe everything you read!
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:40 (Ref:830744)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Now that was funny Dov!

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Jan 2004, 18:16 (Ref:830777)   #5
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: PG's Plans for Future of OWRS ?!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Remember zero, don't believe everything you read!
Hey Dov,
at least I added a proper commentary... besides, I could go on forever how I believe that both GF and KK will put clamps on PG's ideas and the silly merger will never happen, but should OWRS falter then the "Champ Car Troika" will have no choice but ponder the merger with TG's little toy series - an only option then... unless... unless Bernie comes to the rescue - and I believe that this will be the more likely scenario ?!?!

zerO
Old 7 Jan 2004, 20:27 (Ref:830880)   #6
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesus, are we still talking about mergers. How about we do our own thing and get the series stable first, then see about merger talks. Frankly, I don't see it happening. It says PG and TG see racing differently, ovals v roadcourses. So how do you merge with a series that doesn't believe in more than say 2 or 3 roadcourses ?

One thing I am curious about, is how about the IRL allow crossing over of cars into their races. A common formula. I mean if everyone wants to be in the IRL and it's thriving, then TG has nothing to worry about anymore by doing this right ? He gets big Indy fields etc and we get some interesting ovals.

So why not a common formula now, since the IRL doesn't have to protect itself from teams only wanting to run Indy and not the rest of the series.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 21:19 (Ref:830922)   #7
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read this at Champweb. I really don't know what to say other than how does Don know these things? I haven't heard anything about this happening so soon.

But would it be turbo or n/a? Would we use the IRL aero package on ovals? I sure hope not, because the real reason I don't like the IRL is the racing they do there. Because I feel like the oval racing they do is artificial with all that downforce, with those big wings and the flugles on the sidepods, and forces drivers to run side by side and thus creates excessive danger. (BTW, I thought the Lausitz race this year was ridiculous for the same reasons). Personally, I think it's more exciting to have very little wing and the Handford Device and see drafting battles, and see drivers have to take a good line and not just be able to take the shortest route like the Indy Lights. I'm not trying to rip the IRL, it's just that I wouldn't want to see high downforce racing become the only way to go on ovals, because, although it's exciting, I think that the "speedway wings" way is even more exciting.

I would rather see turbo engines, but if it was n/a I wouldn't be upset. This would be so amazing though. The CART PPG IndyCar World Series was once as big or bigger than NASCAR in the USA, and if this thing happens we could be right back in the mainstream again, and all of the strengths that each series has developed over the years since the split would combined and we would be very, very strong. Oh please let this happen
Old 7 Jan 2004, 21:31 (Ref:830929)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a few issues with a OWRS / TG merger. But the main thing being that TG split because of the team owners, so now we are to believe that he's going to merger with 3 team owners ? Wouldn't that put us back where we started ? Ok, different team owners etc but same deal, TG and team owners around a table, again. Just not convinced.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 23:02 (Ref:831001)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has got to be the sequel to the movie we watched about 7 years ago, yes? I have yet to see a sequel that turned out better than the original. I don't think this will be any different.

I keep reading all this stuff about PG and TG talking 'cause they're friends la la la, sounds like a remake of the Chris and Bernie show of a year ago.

Sorry for the rant, but if these guys merge this thing back together, at the rate things are going with the crapwagon specifications (yes I said crapwagon and I can't imagine TG playing unless they use his ball) we will have the equivelant of great drivers in Indy Lights on twice the old Lights budget. What's the point. I'm not sure what the best alternative is at this junture but the whole mess is a damn shame.

There I feel better. Thank you!

Last edited by Flatspot; 7 Jan 2004 at 23:02.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 09:46 (Ref:831320)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, Flatspot, with your comparison to the Chris and Bernie Show.

Gentilozzi seems predisposed to tell the world how much of a butt-smoochin' buddy he is of TG and after ONE year in open-wheel racing, he has all these visions.

Merger talk at this stage is grossly premature, for any detail. If the IRL was approached to merge, right now today, its first question would be, "who do we merge with?" OWRS? CART? Merger is even farther of a stretch because who knows what the bankruptcy court will do.

Of course, as Gentilozzi told the Portland Oregonian, he has Tony's cell number. It's grandstanding and posturing, with little substance.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 15:02 (Ref:831636)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that a merger isn't very likely to happen this year, but it is definetely a good possibility for 2005.

It maybe grandstanding right now, but just the fact that PG keeps talking about one series, and his cozy relationship with TG, is a positive sign, that the future for OWRS is to merge with the IRL. He knows from a business standpoint, that that's there only real shot at surviving, and its probably the only reason that there going into business in the first place. I don't think, OWRS will dump tens of millions of dollars into this series for very long.

I believe that by the end of the 2004 season, either OWRS will have something of value, that would compell TG to want to merge, or they will simply go out of business unable to make a go at it alone.

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:41 (Ref:831793)   #12
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP, just remember that it's Gentilozzi telling the world he's buddy-buddy with TG. TG hasn't said a word about this supposed relationship.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:11 (Ref:831824)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Your right about that indy.

We never seem to hear anything about anything from Tony these days!

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Jan 2004, 07:25 (Ref:832379)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If a merger happens, we are right back to CART 1995. I guess the "vision" has gone up in smoke(pardon the pun).
Old 9 Jan 2004, 11:00 (Ref:832517)   #15
indycool
Veteran

No, think Tony is playing it pretty smart. He knows when to shut up. Why should he involve himself in CART's bankruptcy plight and condition and all this motion that's taking place? ISC is more involved than Tony because it claims it's owed $2.5 million for Fontana.

Now, if the OWRS proposal goes up in smoke and CART is forced into Chapter 7 involuntary bankruptcy through motions and actions by the creditors, something else might happen. But for now, TG is just staying away from the mess.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:832652)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
People change, visions change. TG is no different than the rest of us, mountainstar.

God knows how much the visions I had for my own life have changed over the years!

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:46 (Ref:832706)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest question is....does OWRS (PG/KK/GF) have the same vision? Are they on the same page? Even if OWRS has a plan for ChampCars, how do we know for sure that one, two or all three of them won't feel differently a few months to a year from now? Personally, I feel that CART should be run by ONE person, just like F1. I'm no fan of Bernie, but at least as an F1 fan, you only have to deal with his changes to the rules and if you don't like it, then stop supporting F1.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 15:22 (Ref:832736)   #18
indycool
Veteran

Agree that's a big question, Dov, and although Forsythe has remained pretty quiet, Kalkhoven and Gentilozzi occasionally say things publicly that indicate they have some differences of opinion now, however slight or pronounced. If they get into an active role in running the series, I'd expect those differences to magnify as they figure out how to get a grid for Long Beach and the stickler will be money.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 15:30 (Ref:832742)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I agree Dov, one man rule is the way to go.

It seems to work for the more successful series like F1, ALMS, NASCAR, the IRL.

Did you ever wonder why most rock bands break-up after a only a couple of years? Because eventually, each member will come up with his own vision for the direction of the band, thereby discarding the original vision that brought them together in the first place. So they break-up to follow there own vision. The hardest thing in the world, is to get 4 guys in a band, going in the same direction, and then keep them going in that direction for very long.
The Stones and Aerosmith are rare indeed!

I think that anology, could wind up being valid for the OWRS situation.

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Jan 2004, 16:30 (Ref:832798)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's why most marriages break up too, or so I've heard. However, any suggestion that either the male or female should be in command are quickly hooted off the stage...