Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 17 Jan 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3190811)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Beetle's 2013 Grand Prix Circuits

Since SBF did his 2013 edition circuit design thread, I'd thought I'd do the same. I'm laying claim to some land so Tilke can't steal it!

I haven't created the actual designs yet. However, after moaning about Google Sketchup for a while, I've decided to take a real crack at it for once, and I've actually become decent. Practice makes perfect... at least in this case!

Here are my geographic locations and nearest cities...

Grand Prix: Polish Grand Prix
Track: Krakow-Balice International Circuit
Coordinates: 50° 4'49.56"N 19°49'8.50"E
Nearest City: Krakow
Description: Away from the bustling capital of Warsaw, Krakow offers a more tolerable mix of urban life and natural beauty. With gentle rolling hills, forests, and meadows, the Krakow-Balice International Circuit is optimally placed next to Krakow's largest airport and is a mere 12 kilometers away from central Krakow.

Grand Prix: Moroccan Grand Prix
Track: Berrechid International Circuit
Coordinates: 33°20'22.85"N 7°34'34.40"W
Nearest City: Casablanca
Description: Placed conveniently near the Mohammed V International Airport in southern Casablanca, Formula 1 returns to Africa at the Berrechid International Circuit. Casablanca is a quirky and unique place with booming industry and enthusiastic people, and what better a place to put the Moroccan Grand Prix than its largest, most exciting city!

Grand Prix: Chilean Grand Prix
Track: Autodromo Internacional do Santiago
Coordinates: 33°27'47.64"S 70°52'37.00"W
Nearest City: Santiago
Description: The Chilean Grand Prix is an interesting alternative to the Argentinian Grand Prix that is presently not being able to get off the ground. Chile is home to some of the most awesome scenery and landscapes in the world, and the bustling metropolis of Santiago will pour out westward for the Chilean Grand Prix, located near the mountains that form the bowl around Santiago.

I haven't found the geographic locations for the other projects I'm planning to do in Baku, Astana, Stockholm, Helsinki, Belgrade, Tel Aviv, Kuwait City, Riga, Doha, Cape Town, Mexico City, and Jakarta.

I will updating one of those three mentioned above with progress reports soon.

Thanks for looking!
- Beetle
Old 18 Jan 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3190868)   #2
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to it
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3191026)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been in Krakow. I think you have found an excellent spot. The nearby airport is small, but modern and pleasant, and makes it very easy to reach. Especially since it's so close to the highway and right next to the railway that connects the city-center with the airport.
Not to mention that Krakow is a very beatifull city. I'd love to visit a race in the region.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3191109)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interested to see how you get on with sketch up.

Remember there is the Sketch up tutorial Here ask any question in there to keep this thread for completed designs.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 02:46 (Ref:3192533)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Interested to see how you get on with sketch up.

Remember there is the Sketch up tutorial Here ask any question in there to keep this thread for completed designs.
I've been getting along quite well with it, actually!

I've started off with Krakow. I have designed the track on sketchup. What you are seeing is a slightly tilted, 3D version of it. Next, I will add run-off and the pit lane. After that, elevation.

Here's what the most basic layer looks like.

Oh, and by the way, the track goes clockwise.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3193457)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Distinctly Tilke-ish - but I like it a lot, nonetheless.

The track length would be a useful piece of info.

bio
Old 24 Jan 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3193488)   #7
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Distinctly Tilke-ish - but I like it a lot, nonetheless.

The track length would be a useful piece of info.

bio
Track length: 4.87 kilometers (3.03 miles)

Track update #2

Here's the above shot of the track with most of the run-off done; also placed on the real land (w/o corner numbers).

With corner numbers...

Here's the turn 1-4 complex terrain.

Other terrain (you can see all the turns except 6, which is basically flat). The esses swoop down into turn 14, at the lowest point in the track. This then swoops back up into the final corners. I didn't design it this way, but it adds a cool effect, I think.

Old 24 Jan 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3193684)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What are the lengths from T151 _> T16, T16 -> T1 and T1 -> T2 ?

I'm wandering whether the pit entry could be placed between T15 and T16 and the pit exit back onto the Straight before T1, or immediately after T1 if need be?
Old 25 Jan 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3193947)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What are the lengths from T151 _> T16, T16 -> T1 and T1 -> T2 ?

I'm wandering whether the pit entry could be placed between T15 and T16 and the pit exit back onto the Straight before T1, or immediately after T1 if need be?
810 meters on the front straight
Between turns 15 and 16 = 83 meters
Between turns 1 and 2 = also 83 meters

Hope you all like this track! I'm continuing to work on it.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3193972)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
810m straight is more than plenty to have the entry and exit and the pit straight on it.

250m in front of the garages is ample by most F1 standards, 300m is extravagent. And you still have plenty of room for the pit in and out.

Though I have to say, that I'd go with the entry between T16 and T16 and exit onto the straight. Something in the Circuit Catalunya/Barcelona style
Old 20 Feb 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3207601)   #11
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Krakow track is still in development. However, here's a quick street circuit. I know a lot of you guys aren't big on street circuit, but I really did think this one out. It is a longer, better alternative to the Durban, South Africa A1GP track.

Length: 3.61 miles
Direction: Counter-clockwise
Start/Finish line: The straight by the white expo center to the right. Sorry I didn't mark it...

Durban is a really nice place to build a street circuit because the roads are extremely wide, sometimes 6-7 lanes. Kind of surprising since it only has a couple million residents... the streets look like they're in Tokyo! A more reasonable length would be about 3 miles, but I couldn't resist using those beautiful esses by the shore. Plus, they're pretty wide, which makes it even better.

Constructive criticism accepted, needed, and wanted!
Old 31 Mar 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3227176)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I like your designs beetle. They get away from the rigid f1 style to a more open style like the older circuits we used to have.