Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Jul 2009, 00:28 (Ref:2505163)   #226
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
Mis-communication during the pit stop, simple as that.
Quite. All it takes is release signal before all finished signals received. Even Ferrari struggled a bit with this concept last year in ye olde F1.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2505220)   #227
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
(off topic but do they still use the old circuit for SCCA and others???)
Yes. Grand Am uses the old circuit as well.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2505323)   #228
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched a live stream of the race early sunday morning (Aus time) and Lime Rock looks like a very nice little track. My son just downloaded some hi res pics off Speed and the place really looks magnificent. Great photography. Well worth a look. Sorry I can't do a link. I ain't that good yet.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2505452)   #229
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
I watched a live stream of the race early sunday morning (Aus time) and Lime Rock looks like a very nice little track. My son just downloaded some hi res pics off Speed and the place really looks magnificent. Great photography. Well worth a look. Sorry I can't do a link. I ain't that good yet.
Here: http://www.speedtv.com/gallery/view/1019798/306460/?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=750&width=844

Old 21 Jul 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2505497)   #230
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
I'm a little surprised no one has put an effort together to run a top notch Ford GT team with pro drivers. That car, as we know, has Le Mans winning capibility and based on their performance at Lime Rock with one pro and two decent drivers, I feel like that car has the canvas needed to win at lemans. The thing is so low that it must have a major advantage on the straights.
Low to the ground isn't everything. The Spyker is low to the ground as well..
Old 21 Jul 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2505603)   #231
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
Low to the ground isn't everything. The Spyker is low to the ground as well..
And the Spyker has got 3 good drivers. And on a single lap, it's as fast as a (slower) Porsche or Ferrari. It's just it can't keep a fast pace over 24 hours and - well - finish.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2505755)   #232
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm a little surprised no one has put an effort together to run a top notch Ford GT team with pro drivers. That car, as we know, has Le Mans winning capibility and based on their performance at Lime Rock with one pro and two decent drivers, I feel like that car has the canvas needed to win at lemans. The thing is so low that it must have a major advantage on the straights.
Huh? No GT ever raced at Le Mans, so we know nothing about it having ANY "Le Mans winning capability."

The GT40 is about as relevant to the current (recently past) Ford GT (or the "Doran Ford GT") as is an AMC Pacer.

Ford won't support racing for the GT because they know something you clearly do not.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2505756)   #233
Gliding_Serpent
Rookie

Gliding_Serpent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Huh? No GT ever raced at Le Mans, so we know nothing about it having ANY "Le Mans winning capability."

The GT40 is about as relevant to the current (recently past) Ford GT (or the "Doran Ford GT") as is an AMC Pacer.

Ford won't support racing for the GT because they know something you clearly do not.
4 wheels and an engine... I call that capable. Probable, a different story.

The financial situation at Ford is not... conducive... to running a factory car a Le Mans, but there would be nothing wrong with a few private cars. I am getting tired of the Fiat/pig run... and based on the results of this year, I would not be surprised to see the sea of Fiat's continue. Some variety would be a nice change. Bring on the Vettes!
Old 22 Jul 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2506132)   #234
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ford GT being low would just increase downforce, thus decreasing straight away speed. The big honking V8 it has probably would help straight line speed. The way David Murry thrashes it around I think it would be the bee in the bonnet of the top GT2 teams at most any track with two professional drivers. This is a program run by Dick Barbour we're talking about.

Chris
Old 22 Jul 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2506165)   #235
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
The Ford GT being low would just increase downforce, thus decreasing straight away speed. The big honking V8 it has probably would help straight line speed. The way David Murry thrashes it around I think it would be the bee in the bonnet of the top GT2 teams at most any track with two professional drivers. This is a program run by Dick Barbour we're talking about.

Chris
What I would give to see 2 professional drivers in that car for just one race! You could see Murray pulling away after every corner granted he seemed to have to make corners a bit slower than the Porsche's and BMW's.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2506176)   #236
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthib10 View Post
What I would give to see 2 professional drivers in that car for just one race! You could see Murray pulling away after every corner granted he seemed to have to make corners a bit slower than the Porsche's and BMW's.
How about Murray and Bouchut for just one race?

That would throw a scare into the rest of the GT field.

DK
Old 22 Jul 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2506185)   #237
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Regardless of what other people Think, Whine, or Karry on about (), being witness to that GT really makes you wonder what it could really do.

About Ford knowing something I don't, I imagine their decisions to not campaign the car at Le Mans have much less to do with its potential than they do the economy and Ford's present situation. But what do I know.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2506193)   #238
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree. Regardless of what other people Think, Whine, or Karry on about (), being witness to that GT really makes you wonder what it could really do.

About Ford knowing something I don't, I imagine their decisions to not campaign the car at Le Mans have much less to do with its potential than they do the economy and Ford's present situation. But what do I know.
Make sure that you address the content of the post and do not attack the person who posted it....FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Jul 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2506194)   #239
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Ford GT, like basically everything else in GT2 in the ALMS, has been given dispensations to run in something other than ACO-spec by IMSA. So before we can make any guesses about how it would perform at Le Mans, we would need to know something about how it would do in the spec it would be required to run there. Beyond that, yes, the car looks quite strong on certain tracks in Murry's hands, and it would only benefit from having 2 pros in the car; beyond the race, it would allow 100% of the time in practice to be spent on setup.

That said, the car is not likely to ever reach the reliability or ease-of-work levels of the 997 or 430, and that would be an Achilles' heel at LM.

Quote:

FoMoCo's unwillingness to support the Ford GT has essentially nothing to do with 'these troubled economic times' fyi.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2506195)   #240
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you'll find that its more about their desire to not tarnish their history (of a car they don't even own the name to) more than anything else.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2506206)   #241
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
How about Murray and Bouchut for just one race?

That would throw a scare into the rest of the GT field.

DK
Even better how about Murray and Bouchut in the GT running on Michelins!!! I really think the car has could be a top contender in GT2 with the right team.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2506308)   #242
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
The Ford GT, like basically everything else in GT2 in the ALMS, has been given dispensations to run in something other than ACO-spec by IMSA. So before we can make any guesses about how it would perform at Le Mans, we would need to know something about how it would do in the spec it would be required to run there. Beyond that, yes, the car looks quite strong on certain tracks in Murry's hands, and it would only benefit from having 2 pros in the car; beyond the race, it would allow 100% of the time in practice to be spent on setup.

That said, the car is not likely to ever reach the reliability or ease-of-work levels of the 997 or 430, and that would be an Achilles' heel at LM.

FoMoCo's unwillingness to support the Ford GT has essentially nothing to do with 'these troubled economic times' fyi.
Yep, I think the reason why the GT looked pretty competitive is because of the additional performance given to it by IMSA. Put it in full ACO spec and it would fall back a few spots even in ALMS racing.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2506368)   #243
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is interesting. Do the GTs in the Eurporean LMS have a similar build to the ALMS GT?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2506385)   #244
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That is interesting. Do the GTs in the Eurporean LMS have a similar build to the ALMS GT?
In general the answer is yes, the RSR, 430 GT and guessing the new Vette (C6-R or ZR-1.R? no idea what P&M will call the car) run the same ALMS as LMS and LM. But to get more cars in the field the ACO has allowed IMSA to modify rules for their own series, see LMP2 for the last few years for the biggest example. The Viper and the "Doran" GT are the big exceptions for the ALMS GTs this year, correct?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 02:03 (Ref:2506396)   #245
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wanted to post a link to my (way too many!) Lime Rock pictures, for those interested:

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...20Lime%20Rock/
Old 23 Jul 2009, 02:36 (Ref:2506397)   #246
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
AFAIK, the Doran Ford GT is ACO homoglated.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2506414)   #247
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Its a shame Ford never built a GT to the current GT1 rules, I have seen a pic in a magazine article of a silver GT GT1 mockup but apparently it was a design study and Ford never went any further with it.

Just imagine GT and Corvette head to head at Le Mans in GT1, that would've been awesome.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 05:33 (Ref:2506426)   #248
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Are you talking about the Doran Ford GT? Just clarifying. If so, what Ford GTs run in the LMS?

L.P.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2506625)   #249
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
In general the answer is yes, the RSR, 430 GT and guessing the new Vette (C6-R or ZR-1.R? no idea what P&M will call the car) run the same ALMS as LMS and LM. But to get more cars in the field the ACO has allowed IMSA to modify rules for their own series, see LMP2 for the last few years for the biggest example. The Viper and the "Doran" GT are the big exceptions for the ALMS GTs this year, correct?
Someone please correct me if I'm misinformed, but I recall that Rahal's BMWs got some sort of restrictor break earlier this year, and that there were some bodywork modifications that were allowed that may not actually be homologated.

Hugewally? TWK?

Could you please correct or clarify this for me?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2506664)   #250
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
The BMW is ACO homolagated. BMW got breaks from them for the car.