Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1584439)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kovalinen a world future champion

In the last test at the Circuit De Catalunya he was the quickest driver out there and was only a few tenths slower than the outright lap record of Button time last year with a V10 power unit. A fantastic effort IMO for a young test driver, IMO an obvious replacement for Alonso and or fisi.

Your thoughts?
Old 16 Apr 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1584624)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kovalinen is a very quick and capable driver as he has shown in both GP2 in 2005 finishing 2nd overall in the drivers championship, he is now showing as you say, fantastic speed in a Formula One car. If he keeps turning in performances like this throughout the course of the season I think its only a matter of time until we see him in a F1 car in race conditions.

A potential world champion? Perhaps too early to say, but hes got a lot of promise. IMO.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1584836)   #3
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Yes i agree the thread title was supposed to have a ? in it, but i didnt think he was going to be so quick so early on.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1584848)   #4
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will do well when he steps up to an F1 race seat (I say when, because i'm convinced he'll be in F1 next year - renault perhaps?).

He's fantasticly quick, and seems to learn very quickly given his consistent pace in GP2 last year, and F1 Testing this year.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1584871)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's quite obvious that Kovalainen is a man to watch for the future, but that he's a future world champion is still too early to say.
Alesi, Magnussen, Lehto and Verstappen, to name just a couple of examples, looked like future WDC material early in their careers, and look what they have achieved.

But the potential is certainly there.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1584888)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
He still has something to prove. After all, he went into GP2 as a title favourite but lost out to Rosberg, who had less experience in powerful cars. We shall see.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1585136)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
He still has something to prove. After all, he went into GP2 as a title favourite but lost out to Rosberg, who had less experience in powerful cars. We shall see.
He did lose out, due to the odd piece of bad luck. But look how well Rosberg has done since he came into F1. The think how well Kovalinen could do, seeing as he's had more time in powerful cars. I think if Renault do promote him when Alonso goes, given a couple of years to adapt....could well be pushing for wins and titles. we shall see tho. Certainly impressing in testing.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1585141)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well im looking forward to seeing Kovalainen in f1. he certainly is very quick... yup we have some good drivers coming through...
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1585143)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
btw i always get his spelling wrong....
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1585151)   #10
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
btw i always get his spelling wrong....
Kovalainen is the right spelling, topic starter got it wrong.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1585153)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always thought it was Kovaleinen....oops....
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1585161)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Heikki Kovalainen

http://www.renaultf1.com/en/drivers/kovalainen/
Old 16 Apr 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1585187)   #13
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
Kovalainen is the right spelling, topic starter got it wrong.
Im very sorry, the topic was supposed to be about his driving credentials not the spelling of his name in future i will take more effort. lol
Old 16 Apr 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1585196)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Sometimes spelling can be very important.

Weber and Webber, for instance.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1585208)   #15
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
yes but in that instance, weber is Willy Weber and Webber is Mark Webber. How many Kovalinen's or Kovalainen'sw do you know of in the f1 paddock? Im not going into this any further lol there's no point reallyt is there?

Back to the topic at hand ?
Old 16 Apr 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1585211)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Sure thing, Bob.

Heikki would certainly appear to "have it", and thus I hope he gets an opportunity in F1 and flourishes.

As others have said, though, you can never be sure until it happens.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1585358)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We'll never know whether ART had an unofficial advantage last season, but if they didn't it's hard to put a case for Heikki being as good a prospect as Nico. Still, he's got every chance of taking the second Renault seat next year (depending on who they decide to have as lead driver) and that would make first-year victories likely.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1585368)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By the same token boots, I would have said before GP2 started last season that it was hard to put a case of Rosberg being better than Kovaleinen.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1585372)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I don't know about Kovaleinen, but Kovalainen is the next Rosberg.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1585390)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
but Kovalainen is the next Rosberg.
are you tempting me to use one of my analogies...
Old 16 Apr 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1585407)   #21
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he does seem pretty bloody good. winning that race of champions thing a couple of years ago was pretty mighty. beat Loeb in a rally car IIRC?!

also i like the fact he didnt bleat on about "how much G force these cars have these days" as some of the oldies (JV and JT) have been recently. in fact Bazza pulled out of barca test with a hurty shoulder! Stick em all on a stanah stairlift to the pitwall and get the new blokes in behind the wheel s'what I say.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 23:40 (Ref:1585419)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I would have said before GP2 started last season that it was hard to put a case of Rosberg being better than Kovaleinen.
By the end of the season, however...
Old 17 Apr 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1585437)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

....different story.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1585568)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Heikki will be one to watch thats for sure, and as well as Juan Pablo i shall be supporting him.

Future WDC? Who knows, but definately has potential.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1585681)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The future World Champion will be the one who gets most points in a given season...

Heikki Kovalainen? Might be an Alonso, but might be a Button too.