Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Mar 2012, 05:39 (Ref:3034334)   #151
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
At the track!!! Go to a Walmart and buy a tent, air mattress and a chair. You will be glad you did! The race is amazing but the atmosphere is half the fun. I had a hotel my first year that i never used because I ended up sleeping in my car. You will meet people from all over the world.
Yup, it's quite the trip. The first year we went, we were late with logistics and lodging, and not knowing anything, ended up staying in Winterhaven of all places; 55 miles from the track. We've managed to do better since then. We usually try to stay in a house close by, so we can arrive each day quite early in order to find a good parking spot for the car.

As I've said before, if we're not cruising around, we'll be on the mound and Gurney Curve (6A ?).

Hope to look up as many of you as possible. We'll have an U of O flag ( US College football) with us, with my moniker on it, if that will help.

Have to say, the boys and I are pretty amped up...

Last edited by pdxracefan; 3 Mar 2012 at 05:46.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3034432)   #152
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
I hope this isnt seen as off-topic but Im hoping to get to the race and was wondering does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? Im already on my travels, I came to Florida for Daytona and Im staying in Orlando at the minute. I would usually camp but I don't have a tent with me!
I sent an email to Sebring local chamber of commerce , and they sent me a return mail with some local B&B addresses . I western Unioned some money to the people , not all , and arrived and was all set up . It was grand .

Hope this helps . Being Irish at race weekend should be great . Derek Daly won the event on Paddys day in a Nissan too .
Old 3 Mar 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3034531)   #153
69stang
Rookie

69stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best place to watch the race....

Hey gang, I'm headed down for my first Sebring and was hopping for some advice on HOW to even see the race? I know Road Atlanta like the the back of my hand, but I know nothing about Sebring and I admit I am somewhat nervous about even being able to see the track on a flat course.

I will arrive Friday early AM but have no way to build a scaffold etc, so was hopping for some advice. I enjoy shooting photographs but at this point I am just hopping for a place to even see the cars.

Were just so spoiled at RA with all the HUGE spectator areas. Thank for any and all advice.

Ward
Old 3 Mar 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3034537)   #154
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Dont worry , the only place you cant get close in down the back straight , everwhere else is no issue .
Old 3 Mar 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3034545)   #155
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
At the track!!! Go to a Walmart and buy a tent, air mattress and a chair. You will be glad you did! The race is amazing but the atmosphere is half the fun. I had a hotel my first year that i never used because I ended up sleeping in my car. You will meet people from all over the world.
^this!

Wish I was able to make it this year and this is the way I roll. Lot cheaper, safer and more fun than humping it back and forth between hotel and track. My guess, all hotels in the immediate area are booked anyway.

And the atmosphere is AT LEAST half the fun. Perhaps more!
Old 3 Mar 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3034546)   #156
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
Hey gang, I'm headed down for my first Sebring and was hopping for some advice on HOW to even see the race? I know Road Atlanta like the the back of my hand, but I know nothing about Sebring and I admit I am somewhat nervous about even being able to see the track on a flat course.

I will arrive Friday early AM but have no way to build a scaffold etc, so was hopping for some advice. I enjoy shooting photographs but at this point I am just hopping for a place to even see the cars.

Were just so spoiled at RA with all the HUGE spectator areas. Thank for any and all advice.

Ward
Definitely not Road ATL viewing wise, but there are plenty of great viewing points, they are just a long, flat, hot walk from each other rather than a short mountain climb. Crowds off the course are rather entertaining as well.

Hairpin is great, but any of the viewing mounds provide decent views.

It is a miserable, hot trashy airport in the middle of FLA that is awesome! You'll love it. Wish I could go.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3034624)   #157
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
^this!

Wish I was able to make it this year
Send you a PM.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3034646)   #158
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1980s retrospective is up http://www.alms.com/alms-tv/episode/...-decades-1980s
Old 3 Mar 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3034654)   #159
The Badger
Veteran

WOW ..... Sebring started 84 cars in the early 80's , shame le mans couldnt do that too !!!

I cant imagine 84 pit spaces at Sebring ?
Old 4 Mar 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3034736)   #160
The Badger
Veteran

Just found this little tit bit about Level 5 test this year , lookin good .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUy53gC2L8

And Cytasports test .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3v44...eature=related
Old 4 Mar 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3034753)   #161
69stang
Rookie

69stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Definitely not Road ATL viewing wise, but there are plenty of great viewing points, they are just a long, flat, hot walk from each other rather than a short mountain climb. Crowds off the course are rather entertaining as well.

Hairpin is great, but any of the viewing mounds provide decent views.

It is a miserable, hot trashy airport in the middle of FLA that is awesome! You'll love it. Wish I could go.

Great encourgment, thanks for the reply. Is the crowds as large at Sebring as Petite? If so, can I stake out a place on the mounds and it still be there if I go roaming mid day?
Old 4 Mar 2012, 02:46 (Ref:3034763)   #162
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So with the recently announced Merchant Racing Services entry of two LMPCs, that leaves the P2 Black Swan Racing Lola Coupe as the final entry of 64 that the ALMS stated would be allowed to start. Which means that the P2 Project Libra Radical will be the first reserve, assuming they have paid their entry fee!

Last edited by cbbrit; 4 Mar 2012 at 03:07.
Old 4 Mar 2012, 03:39 (Ref:3034768)   #163
The Badger
Veteran

Your kidding right !!! Why should it be a reserve if its entered for the full ALMS championship ?

Yet another saga for what must be the most unluckiest car in race history . Mind you , they dont need an excuse now , do they .
Old 4 Mar 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3034940)   #164
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
damn, just kick out a random grid filler challange car and put the libra back in.

black swan.... where did you heard that? which lola coupe b11 or b12
Old 4 Mar 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3034943)   #165
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
So with the recently announced Merchant Racing Services entry of two LMPCs, that leaves the P2 Black Swan Racing Lola Coupe as the final entry of 64 that the ALMS stated would be allowed to start. Which means that the P2 Project Libra Radical will be the first reserve, assuming they have paid their entry fee!
A joke, Libra Racing has obviously sucked over the years, but why the heck should a real prototype with an american manufactured engine be kicked out while the race is filled with Challenge cars that will do nothing but turn this race into the "12 Cautions of Sebring" are allowed into the race in the dozens?

Pathetic.
Old 4 Mar 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3034962)   #166
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That might be the best description of Sebring I've ever heard! Wish I could go too!
Old 4 Mar 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3034982)   #167
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
Great encourgment, thanks for the reply. Is the crowds as large at Sebring as Petite? If so, can I stake out a place on the mounds and it still be there if I go roaming mid day?

Check the Trackside area of the forum, thebear has posted an informative collection of information including a track map.

I am not sure how you are going to stake out a section on a viewing mound.... don't limit yourself to mounds. At the start the mounds will fill up, and then as race goes on people will drift from area to area. There is also plenty of area in front of the mounds along the fence, which in most cases is low. There are people that set up in reserved spaces all around the track with trucks, motorhomes, etc. I have never had a problem in walking up to the fence between motorhomes to spectate. Just show people respect, smile, don't mess with their stuff, etc.

The track website, the Chamber, etc will have info on places to stay, good luck.....most everything is booked a year in advance, but who knows. I would camp or sleep in the car as opposed to a motel 50 miles away....

The crowd is in excess of 100,000 people on race day I believe, I don't think Petit is near that?

Now....for you lot that seems to want to call the place an old, flat, hot, dusty surplus military airport in the middle of flat nowhere ville.....Well, yes it is.... and it is glorious!
Old 4 Mar 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3035011)   #168
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it looks like jrm will make it to sebring
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ogress-on-hpd/
Old 4 Mar 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3035081)   #169
The Badger
Veteran

It was never in doubt that they wouldnt .
Old 5 Mar 2012, 01:11 (Ref:3035166)   #170
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Now....for you lot that seems to want to call the place an old, flat, hot, dusty surplus military airport in the middle of flat nowhere ville.....Well, yes it is.... and it is glorious!
Ain't it!

My first time there some years back, I think I actually got more chills and emotions upon entering that old airport than I did entering Indy or Daytona. Seeing the pit straight grandstands with the country and make of all the winners from years past for the first time as we slowly drove by in search for Green Park, was awesome.

And then there was the maiden voyage through Green Park.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3035172)   #171
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just wanted to invite everyone to play the Fantasy Racing Challenge 2012 edition. It will cover all Le Mans affiliated sports car series and the first round starts at Sebring. A link to the Sebring FRC entry thread can be found HERE, and the official FRC rules can be found HERE. I hope we have lots of entries this year, and good luck to all!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 01:41 (Ref:3035174)   #172
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Well , you will probably find that most of them are talking outta their hats , and aint ever been there . Its certainly in my top 5 of race tracks , worldwide . beats the crap outta Silverstone , Hockenheim , Monza and lots more .
Old 5 Mar 2012, 01:57 (Ref:3035181)   #173
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , you will probably find that most of them are talking outta their hats , and aint ever been there . Its certainly in my top 5 of race tracks , worldwide . beats the crap outta Silverstone , Hockenheim , Monza and lots more .
I think those of us who made that reference were speaking lovingly of Sebring!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3035405)   #174
Peugeot908
Rookie

United States
Sebring, Florida
Peugeot908 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would not call the airport miserable or trashy (At least not anymore) The airport has really grown the last several years. Most of the airport buildings are newer and very clean.

Quote:
it looks like jrm will make it to sebring
That is who I am going for this year (Anyone but Audi) at Sebring. Since I live in Sebring I am going to try to figure out what hotel the top teams are staying in and post them.

-Peugeot908
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3035483)   #175
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peugeot908 View Post
I would not call the airport miserable or trashy (At least not anymore) The airport has really grown the last several years. Most of the airport buildings are newer and very clean.
Not really referring to any actual buildings, more of the grounds and the Saint Patrick Day Weekend Inhabitants.

Glad to hear that the buildings are improving, though. I have always enjoyed my visits and absolutely LOVE the place, just to be clear.