Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jun 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3982107)   #301
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
steve brings up a good point. The game obviously isn’t very realistic because Max didn’t drive into anyone recklessly.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 07:44 (Ref:3982135)   #302
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Next week there is an iRacing Le Mans 24 Hours as well. The top split for that will no doubt be star studded and probably streamed. Might be worth a watch as well. There will be well over 2000 entries for that one.

I'll be in an LMP2 for it. Probably a very low split race.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3982140)   #303
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
steve brings up a good point. The game obviously isn’t very realistic because Max didn’t drive into anyone recklessly.
it's not the realism I was talking about, it's the stability of the software/server that plagued a lot of drivers, like also the GTE team Leclerc and Giovinazzi were in and the team Alonso was in.They also had to restart the server twice during the 24 hours

Last edited by steve nielsen; 15 Jun 2020 at 08:28.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3982145)   #304
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed the race, for what is was, but the event for me was slightly lacking - no RLM or equivalent, although last-lap website did post some updates through the race.

It really needed the testing and qualifying to be easily findable and viewable by all - to build some anticipation. They could really do with having LMP1 cars in there as well. A 2 class race didn't quite mix it up enough. 3 classes and another 10 cars would have been great! But it may well have broken the platform even more...!

Just hope the platform decision wasn't a brown paper envelope type decision or was it because Motorsport own 25% of the RFactor developer?? A real shame, but whilst frustrating for those affected Le Mans 'real-world' can throw in such external factors - someone else's wheel hitting your car at the wrong moment, etc.. It's part of Le Mans - although something that's been largely missed from the real event in the more recent years.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3982146)   #305
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
it's not the realism I was talking about, it's the stability of the software/server that plagued a lot of drivers, like also the GTE team Leclerc and Giovinazzi were in and the team Alonso was in.They also had to restart the server twice during the 24 hours
to be fair, 2 dropouts in 24 hours is pretty good going.

If you think about it as the virtual version of a storm or major crash like you have at Daytona, Le Mans or N24, bringing out the safety car for 30 minutes, it just seems like part and parcel of the event, which happens every year at some point.

Overall I thought it was a very good event with the same commentators, driver interviews DJ, Studio etc.

Also thought the mix of Sim/ Normal racers in an almost Pro/Am setup made it more interesting.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 08:51 (Ref:3982149)   #306
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gotta be honest, I don't think 2 dropouts in 24 hours is good. No other game has that problem at all - even back in 2005 we were running 24 hour races in NR2003 in the WOSEC series and it was solid - and that game was never meant to do that.

iRacing had some teething issues at the start, but now they run countless 24 hour races and the server never crashes. N24 they had 20 plus servers running and it was fine. This weekend coming they'll have about 40 Le Mans servers running, and no doubt it'll be solid again.Where as with RF2, this is a known issue, that happens every time there is a long event. Everyone knew it was coming. That's pretty poor.

The game choice was down to car availability. rFactor 2 has most of the GTE grid, where as iRacing is missing the Aston and Corvette. rFactor 2 has a modern LMP2, where as iRacings only LMP2 is an HPD from a good while ago. iRacing only has the R18 and 919 LMP1s, and Toyota wouldn't want to livery up one of those. So the best choice in terms of brands for the GTEs and Toyota was rFactor 2. It's a shame it still isn't able to run these events without crashing.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3982159)   #307
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may well dust off our steering wheel... Although it's "only" connected to an Xbox..
Old 15 Jun 2020, 11:23 (Ref:3982169)   #308
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Gotta be honest, I don't think 2 dropouts in 24 hours is good. No other game has that problem at all - even back in 2005 we were running 24 hour races in NR2003 in the WOSEC series and it was solid - and that game was never meant to do that.

iRacing had some teething issues at the start, but now they run countless 24 hour races and the server never crashes. N24 they had 20 plus servers running and it was fine. This weekend coming they'll have about 40 Le Mans servers running, and no doubt it'll be solid again.Where as with RF2, this is a known issue, that happens every time there is a long event. Everyone knew it was coming. That's pretty poor.

The game choice was down to car availability. rFactor 2 has most of the GTE grid, where as iRacing is missing the Aston and Corvette. rFactor 2 has a modern LMP2, where as iRacings only LMP2 is an HPD from a good while ago. iRacing only has the R18 and 919 LMP1s, and Toyota wouldn't want to livery up one of those. So the best choice in terms of brands for the GTEs and Toyota was rFactor 2. It's a shame it still isn't able to run these events without crashing.
That explains the use of that particular platform and it makes sense, by the way sorry we did not get to chat at the meeting, i saw a new face there but to be honest did not know who you were and in the rush to talk to those i knew i forgot to introduce myself to you. Please accept my apologies.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3982174)   #309
greeny12
Rookie

greeny12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Server crash red flags closed everything up and made for more battles throughout the field and a closer race for the win.

Just sayin'
Old 15 Jun 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3982175)   #310
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

only problem is with IRacing, if they run full rules, theres no one left after 4 hours because they've all been disqualified for track limits, speeding in pit lane, yellow flags etc.

R Factor was definitely the best platform for the race at the weekend.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 12:41 (Ref:3982179)   #311
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A good summing-up I think.

The bizarre feeling for me right now is that I have exactly the same post-race feeling as I have every year. OK, I'm a LOT less tired and I'm not unfortunately enjoying a post-race meal with my 'team', but I do feel as though it's over for another year. Perhaps because I watched so much of it....?
I know that feeling all too well, and at least this year, it's not another 12 months (hopefully)

I have not been a fan of all the sim racing that's been going on due to Covid and am not a big one now, but, I surprisingly really did enjoy the 24 far more than I ever expected.........

jimclark
Old 15 Jun 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3982187)   #312
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I'm determined not to enter into criticism of it as I enjoyed it a great deal. That was good enough for me.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 14:09 (Ref:3982189)   #313
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed finding out how they did it, the problems they had and the compromises they made.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3982191)   #314
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, I'm determined not to enter into criticism of it as I enjoyed it a great deal. That was good enough for me.
In total agreement there Andrew
Old 15 Jun 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3982193)   #315
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
In total agreement there Andrew
lets be honest, the alternative would be nothing. so its great the WEC and all involved put this on.

the thing it did highlight is the level of competition of sim racers...and how much they had to help real life racers to get on the pace.

….I was playing the same game, at the same time on my sim at home, an hour in I was already a lap down!
Old 15 Jun 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3982194)   #316
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
To add my two penn'orth:

Yes, the pace car episodes because of server issues could be compared with a real race where such "interludes" are not ubcommon, but in the real world they're usually as a rtesult of some racing incident. Server issues, to my thinking, should not have happened - they should have been ironed out before the race began. It's rather like having a pace car interlude in a real race whilst they fill in a few potho;les on the track.

Overall - pretty good graphics, but I felt a total lack of atmosphere throughout the weekend. A good effort, but it wasn't Le Mans and whilst I'm pleased that some enjoyed it, I still feel quite flat and can't wait for September.... I hope.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 22:58 (Ref:3982250)   #317
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
That explains the use of that particular platform and it makes sense, by the way sorry we did not get to chat at the meeting, i saw a new face there but to be honest did not know who you were and in the rush to talk to those i knew i forgot to introduce myself to you. Please accept my apologies.
Not a problem at all! I was piecing together who was who, and watching the dynamic. It's fun to be in a new group, even if not chatting as you learn the group. I had to disappear earlier than expected but it was still worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
only problem is with IRacing, if they run full rules, theres no one left after 4 hours because they've all been disqualified for track limits, speeding in pit lane, yellow flags etc.

R Factor was definitely the best platform for the race at the weekend.
Don't agree, lol. The level these Pros are at, it would've been fine. And given Alonsos issues with penalties, that isn't exclusive to iRacing. I ran the N24 in iRacing as a 2 driver team and we finished fine. No DQs. I ran the LM6H yesterday and we won our split with only a couple of slow downs, no pit lane speeding violations and no incidents other than the occasional 1x from wheels off the road. Whilst iRacing penalties are harsh, you can deal with them correctly if you treat it like real life rather than a game. And the sever won't crash.

rFactor 2 is a typical ISI game. Supremely adaptable, and does a lot of things ever well. But extremely unstable and sensitive. The server crashes are an ISI thing since the rFactor 1 days 14 years ago - they won't be fixed.

Great effort given the platform. But if they run it again they will have identical issues.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 23:20 (Ref:3982253)   #318
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
ISI?
Old 16 Jun 2020, 00:28 (Ref:3982256)   #319
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Image Space Incorporated. They made the old EA F1 games, and then rFactor 1 and rFactor 2. I believe now they're owned by rFPro, the company which does most of the simulators for the F1 teams. So I guess some tech will trickle back down to them
Old 16 Jun 2020, 00:30 (Ref:3982257)   #320
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
thanks.

Does Microprose still do racing games?
Old 16 Jun 2020, 08:47 (Ref:3982275)   #321
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Unfortunately not. I miss Grand Prix 4 and Grand Prix Manager
Old 16 Jun 2020, 08:55 (Ref:3982276)   #322
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having driven (relatively recently) RF1, RF2, PC1, PC2 and ACC, RF2 is definitely the most frustrating. It takes forever to load up (particularly loading up something like Le Mans) and you have to 'fine tune' it so that it will run decently. To get it to run properly I've had to turn plenty of things down and adjust a lot of settings. My PC is about three years old and it was quite a decent spec when I bought it. When I installed PC2 it ran without fault with all settings maxed out immediately. It's more 'arcadey' for sure but it seems to be bullet-proof for me, while when running RF2 I'm just sitting there waiting for something to go wrong.

I guess I probably ought to give ACC another go. I have it, but haven't driven it for a long time. I also seem to have Raceroom which I've no recollection of ever getting!
Old 16 Jun 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3982277)   #323
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess we ought to consider moving comparative stuff over to 'Virtual Racers'?

Edit -

https://www.tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155216

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Jun 2020 at 09:02.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 23:35 (Ref:3982390)   #324
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Autosport has a comparison of times between simmers and racers. It also goes into detail on real drivers fastest laps and average stints.

https://www.autosport.com/gaming/new...n-lm24-virtual

Alonso had the fastest single lap of the racers and Rowland the fastest 10 lap average.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 06:13 (Ref:3982406)   #325
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Some Really interesting stuff there, strange that Mike Epps, a BTCC driver was classified as a sim racer, but i have seen him race several times so perhaps that is not surprising