Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Mar 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1854484)   #1
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars Join Green Revolution - it's all good !!

Supercars Join Green Revolution > http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~Sup...~id~143883.htm

Australian V8 Supercar series has revealed that it will do its bit to help preserve the planet by setting up the first known 'carbon off-set' scheme in motorsport.

In conjunction with long-time partner BigPond and Future Climate Australia, the series announced the 'V8 Racing Green' programme, which it claims will entirely off-set the carbon emissions from all V8 Supercars running in 2007. It believes that the initiative is the first time a motorsport series anywhere in the world (*) has made a season-long commitment to reduce its impact on the environment.

This year alone, BigPond and V8 Supercars Australia intend to plant approximately 10,000 trees around Australia to offset the carbon emissions generated by a full season of racing - including air travel and running transporters to and from events as well as the racing itself - while the V8 Racing Green programme will advocate 'carbon trading' messages to its fans, encouraging them to return emissions from their everyday lives, and highlight the issue by visiting primary schools around the country and donating, and planting, trees.

(*) F1 Already 'Carbon Neutral' Since 1997 > http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56953
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1854959)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think its a nice thing to do... and is certainly getting airplay both here and internationally.

Arguably a much more tangible and positive thing to do that the HondaF1 livery....

10,000 extra trees to be planted across the country... a very green initiative
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1854967)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Files this under further lies in regards to the "Worlds greatest Touring car championship*"

(*Quite how you can be the greatest racing touring cars when they are not actually touring cars is still beyond me)
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1854981)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could start by planting the trees at the circuits they visit so we have some shade to sit under.............

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1854986)   #5
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That makes far too much sense Mt
Old 1 Mar 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1854994)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
They could start by planting the trees at the circuits they visit so we have some shade to sit under.............
10,000 trees at Eastern Creek... I'd like to see that
Old 1 Mar 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1854998)   #7
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Wakefield would be better

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 1 Mar 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1855006)   #8
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
bahodie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely they could have gotten more creative; strapping a bonsai tree into each car would be much cooler.

Last edited by bahodie; 1 Mar 2007 at 23:18.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 00:12 (Ref:1855044)   #9
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
They could make an event of it at each circuit and get th edriver to plant the trees.

Old 2 Mar 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1855059)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Wakefield would be better
There is no water in Goulburn, they would all die
Old 2 Mar 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1855060)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
They could make an event of it at each circuit and get th edriver to plant the trees.
Didnt Mr Brock and Mr Brabham plant some trees at the Bathurst as part of the B24 a few years ago?
Old 2 Mar 2007, 03:28 (Ref:1855205)   #12
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Didnt Mr Brock and Mr Brabham plant some trees at the Bathurst as part of the B24 a few years ago?
All part of that Formula Green concept that Ross Palmer started up.

Remember after the main trophy presentation, Ross handed out trophies to the teams that ran 'green' for the B24.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 03:34 (Ref:1855208)   #13
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
bahodie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
during the CPS!
Old 2 Mar 2007, 05:54 (Ref:1855302)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying finn

Australian V8 Supercar series has revealed that it will do its bit to help preserve the planet by setting up the first known 'carbon off-set' scheme in motorsport.
Obviously shows that VESA doesn't know much, considering the Formula Green and F1 example shown here.

Best not let the truth get in the way of propaganda
Old 2 Mar 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1855434)   #15
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
There is no water in Goulburn, they would all die

Apart from being planted in the tropical top end of Australia, where and how will these trees grow?

Not in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart with the current water restrictions?
Not without, say, 10 litres a plant per week to keep them alive; Who's going to water them, and where is the water going to come from?
Old 2 Mar 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1855438)   #16
PACK LEADER
Rookie

PACK LEADER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they were serious about the Green Theme they would be using Catalitic Converters , or setting fuel limits on how much fuel you can use per race , its all about marketing and making $$

Btw iam not a Tree hugger
Old 2 Mar 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1855452)   #17
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
this is a great idea - nothing like seeing the actual V8 trees first hand and we could even get the teams to sponsor them. Just imagine the Triple 8 and HRT fans sitting under their very own team trees !!!!
Old 3 Mar 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1855961)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
apprantly the band Cold Play planted x amount of trees in india to offset their envronmental foot print of their world tour, when they went to check out the trees, more than half were dead
Old 3 Mar 2007, 01:13 (Ref:1855978)   #19
v8race1
Racer

v8race1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excerpt from saturdays courier mail letters page...whereby one person come up with the following; ( I wish I had a scanner to show the full article)

[ There are three ways that the car racing industry can reduce its emissions, and planting trees is not one of them. The first is to switch to virtual car racing, the second is to race cars run on alternative energy sources and the third is to consign the industry to the way of dinosaurs. ]

This was typed word for word. Just thought we could use some humour in this thread. But seriously, how lamed brained is this article and why would a newspaper print such ridiculous comments.....

I can just imagine 31 drivers sitting in pitlane with there souped up playstations fighting it out for the championship.....or pitcrews running to the local takeaway for more juice ( used fryer oil ) so as to refuel....

Fair dinkum.....
Old 3 Mar 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1857112)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 have been doing the 'carbon neutral' thing for 10 years and DTM (Germany) have done it for 3 years - so why V8's spread BS that they are the first series in the world to do it is totally beyond me.

Why don't they (for example) make the cars run catalytic converters? Many other touring car series have done so for many years - the BTCC made it mandatory way back in 1993!!

Or why don't they have some sort of C02 emission-control standard for the V8's? We are not talking rocket-science here.

I'm afraid it's nothing more than just a cynical publicity stunt.....if they were really serious about it, they would introduce some technical/engineering solutions rather than just sending a few bucks to someone to plant trees.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1857123)   #21
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
F1 have been doing the 'carbon neutral' thing for 10 years....
F1 are along way from being carbon neutral.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1857157)   #22
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
F1 are along way from being carbon neutral.
Well, put it this way....both F1 and WRC have been far more "carbon neutral" for far more years than any other championships in the world. V8's are a decade or more behind and the announcement by V8SCA that they are the "first series in the world" to do it is clearly just more bull***t by Cochrane;
Autosport, February 26th 2007, 12:19 GMT

Honda Racing may be the first team to publicly commit themselves to doing something about global warming, but autosport.com has learned that the FIA has been working behind the scenes for a decade on dealing with carbon emissions from the sport.

In fact, the FIA's efforts have ensured that Grand Prix racing has been carbon neutral since 1997 - long before many woke up to the problems facing the world.

The sport's governing body has been financially supporting the Scolel Te project in southern Mexico to offset the emissions caused by both the Formula One World Championship and the World Rally Championship.
The FIA offsets the greenhouse gas emissions of the two world championships through buying credits in the project's trust fund, the Fonfo BioClimatico.

The fund operates a number of different schemes, including the establishment of tree plantations, growing timber and fruit trees, and protecting threatened forests.

The FIA has purchased credits to offset carbon emissions in F1 since 1997 and the WRC since 2001. This has been undertaken independently without contributions from the teams involved.

The offsets include not only the emissions of the competing cars but also, and more importantly, the worldwide travel of teams and personnel involved in both championships.

Last edited by touring fan01; 3 Mar 2007 at 13:01.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 04:36 (Ref:1857634)   #23
DarthFalcon
Racer

Australia
Yavin
DarthFalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8race1
virtual car racing, .... But seriously, how lamed brained is this article and why would a newspaper print such ridiculous comments.....

Fair dinkum.....
V8 supercars probably have more in common with their playstation counterparts than they do with the cars sitting in Aussie garages