Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Nov 2008, 22:42 (Ref:2335489)   #51
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V10's basic design goes back to the 1990s, but I'm sure nothing of the original design really remains besides the layout.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2335899)   #52
Adam Larnach
Rookie

United States
San Diego
Adam Larnach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Budget LMP's? Who are they kidding?

What is the ACO trying to do here?

Sportscar's have always been a pure sport WITHOUT spec cars. The formulaic approach that is used in open wheel racing does not work with sportscar racing. If you don't believe me name 5 full time ALMS driver's that came directly from IMSA Lites.

And yes it's a GM engine.

http://www.formula-lemans.com/images...ry/image13.jpg
Old 16 Nov 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2335915)   #53
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Larnach

Sportscar's have always been a pure sport WITHOUT spec cars. The formulaic approach that is used in open wheel racing does not work with sportscar racing. If you don't believe me name 5 full time ALMS driver's that came directly from IMSA Lites.

Umm... Richard Berry, Feinberg... ok, that might be it..

But seriously, does it need to be a feeder series, or just something that is profitable for the sanction?
Old 16 Nov 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2335925)   #54
Adam Larnach
Rookie

United States
San Diego
Richard Berry pays (or should I say 'paid') his own way... he simply made an upgrade. He wasn't picked up by a team, he provided the means for the team to function.

The number of total individuals involved and the spread of wealth between open wheel racing and sportscar racing is similar to baseball and polo.

The initial investment for this feeder series is still going to be in the seven figure range, how that constitutes as a feeder series I have no idea, especially when the pool you're drawing from is very small. How many karter's move onto sportscars vs. open wheel cars?
Old 16 Nov 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2335928)   #55
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Formula 1 and single seaters in general are feeder series for sports cars....
Old 16 Nov 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2335941)   #56
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How many karter's move onto sportscars vs. open wheel cars?
I guess more racers move to sportscars from openwheel racing, when they realise that F1 is never gonna happen for them..?
Old 16 Nov 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2336007)   #57
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The initial investment for this feeder series is still going to be in the seven figure range, how that constitutes as a feeder series I have no idea, especially when the pool you're drawing from is very small. How many karter's move onto sportscars vs. open wheel cars?

Again, you utilize the term, "feeder series".

I think you've missed the point. This is a way for the sanction to make money. They are probably taking a cut on car sales, parts sales, and they certainly are getting the entry fees.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2336010)   #58
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Again, you utilize the term, "feeder series".

I think you've missed the point. This is a way for the sanction to make money. They are probably taking a cut on car sales, parts sales, and they certainly are getting the entry fees.
It could seem that way, yes..
Old 16 Nov 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2336027)   #59
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Given the current economic situation I think a spec series makes sense.

When things really pick up again economically they could probably allow different engine manufacturers and maybe allow different chassis makers.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Nov 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2336128)   #60
Adam Larnach
Rookie

United States
San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Given the current economic situation I think a spec series makes sense.

When things really pick up again economically they could probably allow different engine manufacturers and maybe allow different chassis makers.
I can't tell if your being facetious or not... I mean really, don't the last few words in your response resemble what we already have today? Sportscars of "different engine manufacturers and... different chassis makers"; sounds to me like we've got that one covered.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2336232)   #61
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FWIW I think it's a great idea and very welcome - much as the prospects for yet another new series, particularly in the current economic climate are..well, poor at best.

However, it could be a real, viable alternative to FIA GT3 which can be no bad thing. By further comparison with Ratels' portfolio, the addition to LMS of V de V group CN/C3 would complete the package, being the alternative to FIA GT4.

The idea of LMP1, 2, 3 and 4 works for me. Prototype racing needs a clear feeder series and path to Le Mans, not just for drivers but teams also - it might also keep some teams in who just couldn't afford to stay otherwise.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 22:42 (Ref:2337291)   #62
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't really see the need for Formula Le Mans, the LMS already has plenty of feeder series, F1, GP2, F3, Touring Cars, National GT's ect...
Old 18 Nov 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2337310)   #63
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
I don't really see the need for Formula Le Mans, the LMS already has plenty of feeder series, F1, GP2, F3, Touring Cars, National GT's ect...
Maybe in the future we will see the National (regionally) GT-3 & possibly GT-4 running with them, to create a complete training series of ACO style Sports Car racing. To be run as a support series for the LMS. (?)

L.P.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2337313)   #64
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see Formula Le Mans as a way to get youth into sports car racing. Drivers from other series who come to sports cars are usually more mature.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2337320)   #65
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I agree!

However the price is a bit steep..
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2337677)   #66
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What could there be to complain about? It is more sports car prototype racing. There may not be a need for it, but it's sure nice to have more racing. Also, I like HORNDAWG's idea. Why not have a Formula Le Mans / GT3 / GT4 series as support for the LMS?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2337698)   #67
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back when IMSA Lites was first proposed to the series, it was envisioned as a LMP3/GT3 ladder series. Not just to develop drivers for multi-class racing, but to bring up teams and manufacturers too.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2337712)   #68
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well maybe this will help that vision be realized. (?) Hopefully!

L.P.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2337898)   #69
notguilty
Racer

notguilty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one step further on the ladder idea could this in 2010 spread to the ALMS as a support race? The ALMS are pretty full but its an idea.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2337911)   #70
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS got IMSA Lites. I don't really see why it needs to be replaced (but then I don't see why this class is needed. Things work well as they are right now).
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2337926)   #71
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I see Formula Le Mans as a way to get youth into sports car racing. Drivers from other series who come to sports cars are usually more mature.
One of the carrots dangled in the new Formula2 series is that the top 3 drivers are automatically granted an FIA Superlicence. As an upcoming driver that would be an awesome thing to get in the bag early. It's a bit nicer than just some cash.

Maybe the ACO can offer something like that, but I can't think of something right now!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2337928)   #72
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
One of the carrots dangled in the new Formula2 series is that the top 3 drivers are automatically granted an FIA Superlicence.
Any just how long does it last? Also, do you knwo the cost of the licence fee for that year?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2337940)   #73
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Any just how long does it last? Also, do you knwo the cost of the licence fee for that year?
12 months according to this:
http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...pendix_L_a.pdf

Don't know the value, but compared to the cost of the others series here you could potentially have it for circa £200k.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2337951)   #74
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
One of the carrots dangled in the new Formula2 series is that the top 3 drivers are automatically granted an FIA Superlicence. As an upcoming driver that would be an awesome thing to get in the bag early. It's a bit nicer than just some cash.

Maybe the ACO can offer something like that, but I can't think of something right now!
Now you mention it - an obvious idea would be to give an auto invite for the winning team to run an LMP2 compliant car at Le Mans the next year (might also give an incentive for teams to graduate rather than just stay where they are & take the easy money from drivers).

Cost of an F1 super license for 2008 was 10,000 + 2,000 (euros) per point scored in the previous F1 season - Kimi Raikkonen's superlicense cost him 230,000 euros (boo-hoo let's all have a whip round)

Last edited by courageous; 19 Nov 2008 at 22:09.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2337959)   #75
zac510
Veteran

Yeah that's the kind of thing, like the FIA GT/ALMS invites.