Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3123482)   #1
Sammo
Rookie

England
Epsom, Surrey
Sammo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking At Going Racing! Hmmmm Deja Vu?

Morning Everyone

About three years ago I came on here announcing that 2 friends and I were going to be entering a car in the CSCC Tin Tops series. We had gone through everything we needed to budget for and had even arranged to start going and viewing some cars. Unfortunately while all this was going on, one of my friends got made redundant and was struggling to find another job. As much as we all still wanted to go racing we just couldnt make up the rest of the budget to carry on with the plan. So it was shelved

Fast forward 3 years and the itch to get out racing is still there, but lo and behold there is actually a solid budget to do it with this time The team has changed slightly as have the plans so bare with me. My mates are no longer in the situation where they have a strong enough interest in going racing so I had to put them down as potential part time pit crew lol! However my Brother and his best mate have been itching to do something like this for a while so we now have ourselves a team Now the plan this time round is to enter a car in the 2013 Kumho BMW Championship. A friend of mines boyfriend (who will now be known as Fordy) races in this series and his Uncle actually runs the series so I have a wealth of information available to me. I am seeking all the proper information before spending any money, so I am off to have a proper chat with Fordy this evening about everything we need to expect to spend out on, plus he is going to show me around his race car (BMW 318 Compact) so I can get a good idea of what we need to be aiming for. As long we are all happy with the information I come back with we will start looking for a car ASAP to get prepped and ready for the start of the 2013 season

We are quite lucky in that myself and my Brothers mate Adam are both mechanics so we can maintain a car without too much difficulty plus I have a couple of other mates that are motorsport engineers and have shown an interest in popping along to some races over the course of the season

I will keep this thread updated with how were getting on and please feel free to offer us any advice you might have

Cheers

Sammo
Old 23 Aug 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3123664)   #2
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck, it sounds like you've doing the right things. If your prepping the car yourself then make sure you have the blue book memorised It's often a good idea to have a scruitineer or experienced racer check over the car before the first meeting - just to avoid something silly messing up your first race.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3123690)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
With the contacts you have you've obviously got a head start. Not sure how you are going to share the car, though - with the CSCC series you were thinking of previously, two of you could share each race - whereas the BMW series seems to be two races per meeting - but I don't think the rules allow for different drivers in each race.

Anyway, if you can find a ready prepared car, it will be a LOT cheaper than building one from scratch..even if you will want to strip it and rebuild....

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 23 Aug 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3123719)   #4
Sammo
Rookie

England
Epsom, Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
With the contacts you have you've obviously got a head start. Not sure how you are going to share the car, though - with the CSCC series you were thinking of previously, two of you could share each race - whereas the BMW series seems to be two races per meeting - but I don't think the rules allow for different drivers in each race.

Anyway, if you can find a ready prepared car, it will be a LOT cheaper than building one from scratch..even if you will want to strip it and rebuild....

Good luck and enjoy!
My Brother and his mate actually have no interest in driving the car. There more about prepping it etc. All there interested in is taking it for the occasional trackday when the mood takes lol!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3123942)   #5
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sammo, please check your pm's
Old 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3124030)   #6
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
My Brother and his mate actually have no interest in driving the car. There more about prepping it etc. All there interested in is taking it for the occasional trackday when the mood takes lol!
Ah - result!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3124138)   #7
Sammo
Rookie

England
Epsom, Surrey
Ok, so my Brother and I went and had a lengthy chat with Fordy last night about the in's and out's of entering a car. He showed us round his car and explained the bits you had to have and then the bits you didnt have to have but were advisable to have. We were both quite surprised at how simple it seemed to put a car together. We have cobbled together some seriously quick cars in our time and I think we were just taken aback at how little actually needed changing to get a car up to spec.

I think we are pretty much convinced that were going ahead with it, but just to make sure 100%, I am off to Rockingham next Sunday to watch a race and chat to other drivers etc. Get a few different points of view.