Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 10 Mar 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2843313)   #126
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I kind of see alot of Tilke in alot of your designs, or should I say "How Tilke should build his tracks"

They include much of what the FIA want, but done in a way that doesn't look the same.

However, i'd say this probably isn't one of your best. It's certainly a decent track and nothing fundamentally wrong with it at all, but at first glance it didn't have that "wow" factor alot of yours have previously. Like I said, that may more be down to just me, but it looks alot more conventional rather than your previous racey tracks.

I think the first half of the track looks like it could provide some good racing, though!

Selby
Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2843361)   #127
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I'm one of the busy crowd here, I agree with most of what has been posted here, your tracks are as fine as any others tracks.

I also see your characteristic "Tilkesque" flavor on this one too, what I don't agree is that little hairpin on the top right, seems a little too "stop and go" for my taste, the rest is just fine and I'm one of those that think(by experience) that any piece of tarmac makes for good racing for as long as there are at least two crazy racers disputing a win!

I like the bottom part a lot though I would have made more pronounced radius variations in the esses.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2845695)   #128
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2nd for march

I know i said could only afford the time to make one track this month but after finding out I'm further ahead than i thought and finding an almost complete circuit on my hard drive that (for some reason) wasn't finished, I've spent a few hours finishing this one. Enjoy

Full - 3.5mi Outer - 2.1mi Inner - 1.4mi Full and Outer - Anti-clockwise Inner - Clockwise Elevation S/F - T3 - 45m
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.png   Picture 2.png   Picture 3.png  

Old 14 Mar 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2845739)   #129
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Now that's the epitome of your Tilkesism!!!
Old 15 Mar 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2846014)   #130
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I see so much of the Tilke changes to the Nurburgring and Hockenhiem I am a little awestruck (as in why would anyone do that?) but there are other aspects I like.
Some of the curves remind me of Suzuka and that really gets me going. Its a great circuit.
So in all I can see its a circuit with a lot of potential for some great action. There are several good hard braking points and great passing opportunities.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2846058)   #131
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Why do I always feel the need to whip open Bobs Track Builder whenever I see your tracks...?

I always, always want to race them.

Selby
Old 15 Mar 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2846273)   #132
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Why do I always feel the need to whip open Bobs Track Builder whenever I see your tracks...?

I always, always want to race them.

Selby
Whenever i get a computer that can run BTB (im currently using a mac) and learn how to use it, i WILL make these tracks for online racing.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2846313)   #133
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Mate drop me a message when you've got it - i'd be more than happy to talk through some bits and bobs. It's quite complicated at first, but with a bit of direction it becomes fairly simple (ish).

Selby
Old 15 Mar 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2846537)   #134
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Now that's the epitome of your Tilkesism!!!

JIC I didn't intend this comment as a negative, au contraire, I absolutly like this one! It has a little of Shangai to my eyes,the only thing I would like is more run off at the end of the long straight, it looks 200MPH to me, I'd like to see airport-like run off, other than that it's magnificent, I'd love to ride this thing!!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2850730)   #135
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
(Sort of) Onboard lap of my 3rd track

Yes, ive managed to put together some kind of onboard lap around one of my tracks. Basically, ive created an animation within the sketchup model i made last year ( i only picked it because it was short and flat). Its not the best animation you'll ever see, the camera cuts a few corners and the speed and smoothness isn't great and the way i placed the camera makes the track feel massive but its the first time ive done any kind of animating and i thought id try it to see if it could be done. If people like it, then i'll do more of my older tracks and include it in my forthcoming tracks.

To view the animation click View>Animation>Play
Attached Files
File Type: skp track 3 animated.skp (484.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 1 Apr 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2856881)   #136
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Im Back (April 1)

Im back. I will be posting my 4 a month in April then stopping for my exams in May then back to regular posting in June. Heres my latest Full-3.7mi South-2.2mi North-1.8mi No Elevation All Layouts Clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 4.png   Picture 5.png  
Old 1 Apr 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2857056)   #137
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
This is quite cool. I like it very much. The hairpin at the top of the circuit is something I would have opened up a bit.

But other than that.... Yes. Something anyone wouild enjpy driving a fast car on and would provide some great racing.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2858885)   #138
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Love the track, nice combination of turns, it's quite complicated!

I do have doubts about the runoff in certain spots that looked like quite high speed areas, for example T3, looks like 200kh yet the run off is the same width as the lane(scaling issue perhaps?) and then aiming straight at the red stuff that I presume are the grand stands? Last turn also I have a small issue with the way the run off is laid, If I was to take a late apex and lose control, there I go straight into the red area , presumably at 150Kh or so.I would move around the trap and the grand stands a little bit further after the apex, where most accidents would occur.

Other than that it's a great natural circuit with some pretty technical slow speed stuff, great for overtaking, IMHO.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2863537)   #139
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
april 2

Heres my 2nd track of the month. i should be posting more tracks during the month after my xbox decided to give up on me

Full-2.6mi Short-1.8mi Both clockwise No elevation
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.png   Picture 3.png  
Old 23 May 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2884755)   #140
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
May 1

There is a feature i'd like to point out on this track that im unsure about. At the last corner on the outside wall, instead of having a gravel trap ive put a SAFER barrier, the same kind you get at ovals circuits and i was wondering if it was safe enough or if run off is still needed and if it is safe enough, could it be used at more corners and even street tracks?

Full 3.0mi Short 1.7mi Clockwise No Elevation
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 4.png   Picture 6.png   Picture 7.png  

Old 23 May 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2884830)   #141
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd say the biggest issue in the context that you've shown would be rebound back into the track.

OK that's an issue at any F1 street circuit, but for conventional circuit, I'm not sure safer barrier has a place.

Getting back to your track, I think that could be a situation where the lower tier is cut back into to allow run off with the upper tier over hanging some of the gravel trap to keep the crowd feeling close but safe.

I've messed around with that option a couple of times mostly in the Abu Dhabi style at the end of a straight, but it would work well here.
Old 24 May 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2885435)   #142
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
Heres my 2nd track of the month. i should be posting more tracks during the month after my xbox decided to give up on me

Full-2.6mi Short-1.8mi Both clockwise No elevation
Dude i'm just rendering an on-board lap I just did on this track on rFactor. It's not a 'complete' track, more just wanted to give it a spin/give you an indicator as to how it'd drive.

Will be up shortly.

Selby
Old 24 May 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2885440)   #143
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Wow. Thanks man for taking the time to make the track. Firstly, what is it like to drive and what changes should be made (if any)?
Old 24 May 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2885453)   #144
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It's alot of fun.

The video's p!ssed me off a little, though. For whatever reason the sound hasn't come out (despite rendering it), and the frame rate makes it look slower than it really is (believe me, I was giving it some!), but still, it's being YouTube'd as we speak.

It's a really good track. I made a couple of changes as far as track width goes. I opened out some of the hairpins a little to allow some more room for side-by-side action, but tbh, i'd like to open up the two 180 hairpins that go back to back a little more. They're both about 40mph atm, and i'd like that up to about 60 at least.

Ignore all the silliness in the not yet made pitlane area (ie. cars leaping up in the air ). I just havn't got round to any of it yet. That was about nearly 2 hours work just tracing your track and getting it pretty accurate.

Selby
Old 24 May 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2885454)   #145
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
But what I was going to say was i'd quite like to hear any changes you'd like to make if anything.

It wouldn't be too much hassle at this stage. It's only when you start doing all the gravel traps etc that it becomes very tricky. I've only done the gravel for the first few turns thus far.

If people enjoy the designs etc i'm thinking about even starting up a little mini business creating people's tracks on here for a small sum. I know it sounds really tight fisted but creating a track from start to finish takes weeks And i've studied so much on this program. I've even offered to pay for some tutorials from the pro's but unfortunately they're a bit of a rare breed.

Selby
Old 24 May 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2885457)   #146
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC-CtXky5rY
Old 24 May 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2885468)   #147
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
I have to agree with you and say the two hairpins are too tight so definetly open them up. I also think the straight between T1 and 2 should be longer and the straight between T3 and 4 shorter to make it more of a multi-apex corner. Id also add some downhill elevation at T13-15 and back up at the straight before T16, make it like the craner curves at donnington.
Old 25 May 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2885580)   #148
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Sounds like a plan my man! Will get on that tonight if i'm not too tired from work (I been off with the man flu - back today...)

Selby
Old 25 May 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2885612)   #149
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
done a quick redraft of the track. not my best work but hope it helps you get an idea of what im talking about. oh and ignore the barrier on the right in the 2nd picture. i tried to get elevation made very quickly
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 5.png   Picture 8.png  
Old 25 May 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2885682)   #150
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
No problems dude, I like the changes. I think the elevation change will be cool. I also think the changes at the start of the lap (turning it in to a complex of curves) will be awesome.

Selby