Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 May 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2454430)   #1
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Triple 8 Splitter Eligibility - Still Going.. (Merged x2)

Ch 7 news reported that Lowndes win may be in jeopardy as questions are raised over legality of T8 splitters.......anyone have knowledge of this?
Old 3 May 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2454434)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah fox sports story here.

bit of an odd one especially "IF" Roland ain't telling porkies and they have used it for 4 years. will wait for more info and clarification before i comment too much. judging by both days speed either way it does SFA to their speed.
Old 3 May 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2454435)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
a story

edit beat me to it
Old 3 May 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2454454)   #4
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
yeah fox sports story here.

bit of an odd one especially "IF" Roland ain't telling porkies and they have used it for 4 years. will wait for more info and clarification before i comment too much. judging by both days speed either way it does SFA to their speed.
The article says that it's "more flexible" so it sounds as if it may be less likely to break if there's an off track excursion.
Old 3 May 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2454456)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

click here

Quote:
A furious TeamVodafone Principal, Roland Dane, has told teams to butt out of his business and concentrate on their own.

He was responding to implications from rival teams that his Triple Eight cars had alleged illegal parts fitted to the front splitter.

The part replaces the bolts used to mount the splitter to the chassis of the car and all Triple Eight Falcons, including TeamVodafone’s has them fitted.

BigPond Sport understands that the part is currently legal and Dane is adamant that it is.

“Our splitter is exactly the same as all the other Fords. It’s the mounting system that allows it if it hits a kerb like turn one at Adelaide the wrong way so it doesn’t smash into smithereens,” Dane explained.

“I would have called that clever, but maybe for some people they need to try to justify why they’re not winning; good luck to them.

“So there’s no stewards inquiry, there’s no protest, it’s a matter of V8 Supercars now just making an interpretation of whether what we’ve been using for four years we can still use or not and I’m happy with that.”

Dane said the splitters for both the TeamVodafone cars were fitted with bolts for today’s sessions at Winton.

Using the bolt system instead of the other mount, driver Jamie Whincup put his car on pole while teammate Craig Lowndes was third, and went on to win the race.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 3 May 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2454459)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no big issue then just VESA to decide if they can either run it or not, it dosn't make the car faster.
Old 3 May 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2454463)   #7
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so lets get this straight -- roland says the mounts let the splitter to move up and down......blah blah......so the splitter is moving up and down? the aerodynamic splitter?? dont all aero devices have to be FIXED??????????

if its interpereted to be illegal and they used it for 4 year then maybe potato head murph won bathurst number 5???!!!!!!
Old 3 May 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2454465)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Little said there was no question about any retrospective results from any Triple Eight car, whatsoever.
Old 3 May 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2454471)   #9
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebendon View Post
so lets get this straight -- roland says the mounts let the splitter to move up and down......blah blah......so the splitter is moving up and down? the aerodynamic splitter?? dont all aero devices have to be FIXED??????????
You must have better eyes than the rest of us - in neither of the links did he state this or anything like it.

Dane stated:

Quote:
It’s the mounting system that allows it if it hits a kerb like turn one at Adelaide the wrong way so it doesn’t smash into smithereens
He did, however, make this rather poignant remark:

[quote]I’ll sell it to them. They haven’t invented it themselves. If they’re thick enough not to do it I can’t help it.[quote]
Old 3 May 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2454473)   #10
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just a sore loosing Holden team crying cause they can not win a race. A story about nothing.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 May 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2454481)   #11
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said it was a Holden team? FPR have taken some umbrage to 888 in the past.... It could be them?

This is just like the double diffuser (somewhat) - Tell us if it's legal or not, and move on. Forget the past, focus on the now.

However, parking competitors into their pit box..... hmmmm
Old 3 May 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2454487)   #12
petebendon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
You must have better eyes than the rest of us - in neither of the links did he state this or anything like it.

not in those words stalker...........but he said the mounts wouldnt let the splitter smash..............why?? because it MOVES if they hit the kerb the wrong way????? is that in the spirit of the rules?????? if the splitters areo and it moves is that legal ?????? better get the legal books out everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3 May 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2454496)   #13
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
Who said it was a Holden team? FPR have taken some umbrage to 888 in the past.... It could be them?

This is just like the double diffuser (somewhat) - Tell us if it's legal or not, and move on. Forget the past, focus on the now.

It was Tasmen who complained, going by the v8 web site.Typical of Greech.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 May 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2454498)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
It was Tasmen who complained, going by the v8 web site.Typical of Greech.

Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 May 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2454501)   #15
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Obviously no speed advantage to T8......sounds like a great idea, the other teams should adopt it.
Old 3 May 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2454504)   #16
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post

Dane named Tasman as the team in the V8 Site article.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten...t_controversy/
Quote:
“Last night V8 Supercars said they’d had a complaint from a team, which is Tasman (Sprint Gas Racing), to say that they were concerned about the mounting system for our front splitter,” he said.
Old 3 May 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2454509)   #17
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the moment have any teams apart from SCAR and DJR (?) decided to bother with the NASCAR windtunnel facilties, to determine the optimal tape configurations etc?

I suppose if they get too enthusiastic with their 'aero', TEGA could supply them with all splitters, mounts and bolts (!) etc etc from one contractor to stop the teams from wasting effort in an area that provides negligible performance gains.
Old 3 May 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2454539)   #18
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This doesnt surprise me now... Grech was the man who in 1999 claimed that ALL AU teams were sandbagging to slow HRT down....

That said, I guess it would depend on how it's mounted. If the mounts have some flex, it could provide a situation whereby under high downforce the spliiter is lower to the ground.

As I said, say it's right or wrong, move on...
Old 3 May 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2454558)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From Yahoo...

In the VESA website article, Mr Dane doesnt seem too happy does he?

I wonder if the other 888-supplied cars also received new mounting systems?

Tasman obviously went well with Mr Skaife's demon tweaks.. even the commentary team took the piddle out of him...
Old 3 May 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2454765)   #20
petebendon
Rookie

everyone can get carried away--i was upset some said there could be doing illegall things. me i want to see another {holden} team win but if its legall -- good on them! watch everyone else do it now
Old 3 May 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2454780)   #21
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebendon View Post
everyone can get carried away--i was upset some said there could be doing illegall things. me i want to see another {holden} team win but if its legall -- good on them! watch everyone else do it now
Well, if other teams didn't know about it, they do now and it is up to them to implement or not.
Old 3 May 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2454802)   #22
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbo6 View Post
Dane named Tasman as the team in the V8 Site article.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten...t_controversy/
Tasman are having about as miserable a start to the season as a team can have of course, and only on Sunday moved past Jason Bright's single car team in the team points, and Brighty had to DNF for that to happen.

Maybe they are under pressure to justify their poor form.
Old 3 May 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2454810)   #23
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe Grech is just a whinging idiot, always has been, along with his star driver
Old 3 May 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2454820)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
maybe Grech is just a whinging idiot, always has been, along with his star driver
Ah, the delights of well thought out and logical argument...

If T8 have this part, and if it is legal, let them run it! Someone likened it to the 'double diffuser'- Spot on. Someone's seen a loophole and has exploited its advantages. The fact that it was T8 means nothing. It could just as easily have been Sprint Gas Racing that thought up the idea, and would Roland Dane be crying foul?

More then likely...

... Just another day in V8 Supercar land...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 3 May 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2454824)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
888 offered to sell the part to whoever wants it. If the part is so good, buy one and see if it works the way you think it does....