Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3994504)   #1001
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well a view of the track but not the one we had all hoped for.

Thanks Eric see you next year
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3994505)   #1002
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I also expect the local population are going to be very angry, all the inconvenience and no benefit for the local community, suspect many local business people will struggle to survive now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, but it's not a huge population and I bet they were worried about a 25000+ influx from all over Europe and beyond in 5 weeks time....
I think that the decision was inevitable. In fact I've been waiting for an email like that from the ACO.
Since the race is to be held behind closed doors for the protection of the local population as well as that of visitors, I can't see how there will be much anger on the part of local businesses who have already seen the bike GP and 24 hours placed behind closed doors and the Classic postponed to next year.
There is government support for businesses affected by the consequences of the virus here in France, just as there has been, I think in the UK.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3994509)   #1003
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
I think that the decision was inevitable. In fact I've been waiting for an email like that from the ACO.

Since the race is to be held behind closed doors for the protection of the local population as well as that of visitors, I can't see how there will be much anger on the part of local businesses who have already seen the bike GP and 24 hours placed behind closed doors and the Classic postponed to next year.

There is government support for businesses affected by the consequences of the virus here in France, just as there has been, I think in the UK.
Yes Christopher but I think it will be catastrophic for some of us here.

Envoyé de mon SM-A600FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3994511)   #1004
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And to have discussed with the ticket office crew, it was very very difficult to organize separated villages due to the fact that people had different tickets to go along the track.

Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:36 (Ref:3994512)   #1005
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If you go back and read again the email and the official announcement, this was not a decision made by the ACO alone. It was clearly made hand in hand with the local prefecture, who clearly viewed the possibility of a Covid spike from the influx of visitors as being more unwelcome than the effect on the local economy. My guess is that the ACO were told that they could have the 5000 and no more. And that, with the resources needed to 'police' it plus the agonies of sorting out who the 5000 would be, caused them to bite the bullet and can it.
I think you are right about the Prefecture, Andrew.
Also the locals round me further north in Normandy cast a rather suspicious eye on arrivals even from other parts of France, let alone from abroad.
All gatherings for festivals, musical or otherwise have been cancelled round here, with no local backlash whatsoever.
The same applies to the populations of Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire as well as Barcelona.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3994513)   #1006
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
And to have discussed with the ticket office crew, it was very very difficult to organize separated villages due to the fact that people had different tickets to go along the track.

I'm sure that would have been a herculean task, Eric. I think the Prefecture would have been equally worried about people mingling outside the villages when they went shopping or out for a meal.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3994515)   #1007
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Sam and Walter will have accreditations and will represent the 10-Tenths forum at le Mans this year.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:50 (Ref:3994516)   #1008
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Yes Christopher but I think it will be catastrophic for some of us here.

Quite so, Eric, but it's just one item in God knows how many others adversely affected by the virus.
Certainly companies in the industry I work in have been disastrously affected over the last four or five months and some of them will never recover.
The town of la Mans is not completely dependent on the Circuit and the races there. I'm sure the town and the Club and it's Circuit will survive.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:51 (Ref:3994518)   #1009
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:
I'm sure that would have been a herculean task, Eric. I think the Prefecture would have been equally worried about people mingling outside the villages when they went shopping or out for a meal.
Indeed Christopher ! And the Prefets are public servants and think to their career. They have to say yes it no for this kind of event! Be sure they deeply evaluate the risks............

Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:53 (Ref:3994521)   #1010
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:
Quite so, Eric, but it's just one item in God knows how many others adversely affected by the virus.

Certainly companies in the industry I work in have been disastrously affected over the last four or five months and some of them will never recover.

The town of la Mans is not completely dependent on the Circuit and the races there. I'm sure the town and the Club and it's Circuit will survive.
Yes Christopher you are right but I know some bars especially in Arnage make half of their year money with the 24h.

Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3994523)   #1011
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Yes Christopher you are right but I know some bars especially in Arnage make half of their year money with the 24h.

I know Eric. I feel very sorry for them.

On a wider note, my friends who have been marshals at the race for many years, are having their applications rejected by the ACO.
Looks like it may be French marshals only this year
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:12 (Ref:3994526)   #1012
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:

On a wider note, my friends who have been marshals at the race for many years, are having their applications rejected by the ACO.

Sorry for them! Sad. Hope that the Aco will find french marschals enough for the race!

Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3994527)   #1013
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry for them! Sad. Hope that the Aco will find french marschals enough for the race!

My thoughts too, Eric!
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3994528)   #1014
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The event itself has been removed from the ACO website for marshals; those who previously had their volunteering accepted look like they've all been removed. At least, all those in the UK that I know of, anyway.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:17 (Ref:3994530)   #1015
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Oh well no point arguing over it now, let us hope that next year it happens, usually tickets would go on sale soon, but i think they will be delaying that as the situation develops further.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3994531)   #1016
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
To look on a cheerful note, many of us here will be able to see the race live on telly for the first time, for obvious reasons i have never been able to do that.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3994532)   #1017
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I would have settled with any ticket despite what I had bought.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3994536)   #1018
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just heard m TravelDestinations. I've re booked for Porsche Curves with them for next year. Very impressed with their service.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3994566)   #1019
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
At least if I'm not allowed to go, I can take that as force majeure for my unbroken run.......
That’s why I visited the Town and track last sunday while we were on our way home, I been there in 2020, not for the race but the run continues....
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3994569)   #1020
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drove past the famous sign on the way down to a family holiday the other day and just had an inkling that it might be as close as I'd get this year.

Have to say the news didn't really hit me too hard. Was massively conflicted about the villages even though it was a clever concept. At least now we've got some clarity.

It's just a shame there's no alternatives and nothing to fill the motorsport void really. Just hope things improve going forward as it's unlikely we'll all be vaccinated by June.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3994578)   #1021
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i get a flu jab every year, and it only reduces the risk, it does not mesn you can not get flu.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3994581)   #1022
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given today's news and even though I had already decided we weren't going, I hereby declare my run of attendance from 1996 as remaining unbroken into 2021 !
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3994718)   #1023
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If the weather's nice, you should watch it in the garden, with a big screen TV, a nice paddling pool and a few beers
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:49 (Ref:3994726)   #1024
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like the best available plan!
Old 11 Aug 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3994811)   #1025
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i think we will all have to adjust to watching the racing from afar, how we do that will vary but i know i will trying to keep a few traditions going, and do what i can to enjoy the weekend even though i am gutted i can not be there.
Closed Thread