Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Oct 2022, 03:45 (Ref:4130937)   #526
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
As I replied above it’s over.He’s done.He’s 33 and way past his peak.Don’t waste time thinking up scenarios that aren’t going to happen.
You are likely correct Alan (btw we are both Penrith lads@)
As much as I like DR, I too think its time to love to see an entirely new name on the car. Not hulk Ric or Schu.

One of the Idy or F2 stars.. Doohan.

I was just stating "If fhe wants a F1 future" its his best bet.

I would like to see him do other stuff - Indy Nascar WEC Lemans Bathurst 12 hour or 1000
Old 21 Oct 2022, 05:13 (Ref:4130938)   #527
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I replied above it’s over.He’s done.He’s 33 and way past his peak.Don’t waste time thinking up scenarios that aren’t going to happen.
Always positive I see or maybe you dont like Danny Ric.

Im sure we will see him again in the future in a F1 car.
Old 21 Oct 2022, 06:48 (Ref:4130941)   #528
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Im sure we will see him again in the future in a F1 car.
That might be the case - but it seems as a reserve driver.

I'm not sure he will race in F1 again.
Old 21 Oct 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4130947)   #529
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Haas seem to want him. The question is does Danny want to go to Haas? I think him and Kevin would make a great team, but it might not be what he wants. I think Williams we can definitely rule out.

Would be a sad end to a great career for the Honey Badger if this is it
Old 21 Oct 2022, 09:52 (Ref:4130956)   #530
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Past his peak at 33? He's a month older than Bottas, does that make Bottas past his peak?
Old 21 Oct 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4131004)   #531
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Past his peak at 33? He's a month older than Bottas, does that make Bottas past his peak?
Alonso @41 also

DR is marketable for many. I guess time will tell.
Old 22 Oct 2022, 20:47 (Ref:4131106)   #532
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but the BBC are reporting that Logan Sargeant is to fill the second seat alongside Alex Albon at Williams providing that Sargeant makes enough points to qualify for a Superlicence. The BBC say that he should get enough from his position in F2 where he is currently in 3rd place overall, or, if not, by taking part in two more F1 free practices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63361131
Old 23 Oct 2022, 04:02 (Ref:4131156)   #533
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
And Dan for redbull/tororosso 3rd seat
I guess hes hoping one of the 3 main guys is dumped for 2024 (max is going nowhere)
Old 23 Oct 2022, 21:06 (Ref:4131217)   #534
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
And Dan for redbull/tororosso 3rd seat
I guess hes hoping one of the 3 main guys is dumped for 2024 (max is going nowhere)
Surprised if he doesn't want Haas. I thought it slam dunk when I heard they'd offered him a seat before Spa. Maybe he knows something we don't, but I'm far from sure.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 01:22 (Ref:4131237)   #535
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Surprised if he doesn't want Haas. I thought it slam dunk when I heard they'd offered him a seat before Spa. Maybe he knows something we don't, but I'm far from sure.
I've been a bit amused by the fact that both Schumacher and Magnussen are out qualifying him. Surely if he is better than them he would be further up the grid or getting better results.
Or has he already tested the car in the simulator and knows it isn't any better than the McLaren or doesn't suit his style........
Old 24 Oct 2022, 02:51 (Ref:4131242)   #536
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Ah, but don't confuse the bedroom keyboardists claiming to be insiders with real people who might actually really be in the real paddock.

And those real people with real paddock insight wouldn't have to intellectually phallus measure themselves and constantly say they are paddock insiders.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 03:42 (Ref:4131244)   #537
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I've been a bit amused by the fact that both Schumacher and Magnussen are out qualifying him. Surely if he is better than them he would be further up the grid or getting better results.
Or has he already tested the car in the simulator and knows it isn't any better than the McLaren or doesn't suit his style........
What simulator do you think he might have tested it on?
Old 24 Oct 2022, 07:25 (Ref:4131262)   #538
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Be good to see Logan in at Williams. Just needs to get those final superlicence points. Be good for the American market too for him to be in F1
Old 24 Oct 2022, 08:31 (Ref:4131267)   #539
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Be good to see Logan in at Williams. Just needs to get those final superlicence points. Be good for the American market too for him to be in F1
He is third and only needs to finish top six, although it's tight.

I suspect the American angle is the single reason why he's been chosen.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 09:14 (Ref:4131274)   #540
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I suspect there is more than just being American that has gone into the decision - although it will have been a factor I'm sure. Unless there is some 'insider knowledge' that confirms this was the sole reason for his selection?
Old 24 Oct 2022, 09:17 (Ref:4131276)   #541
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I suspect there is more than just being American that has gone into the decision - although it will have been a factor I'm sure. Unless there is some 'insider knowledge' that confirms this was the sole reason for his selection?
With three F1 races in the US in future, it would be no surprise that Liberty might grease the wheels to have a US driver. Also, don't forget that Williams is a US-owned operation these days.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 09:21 (Ref:4131277)   #542
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
With three F1 races in the US in future, it would be no surprise that Liberty might grease the wheels to have a US driver. Also, don't forget that Williams is a US-owned operation these days.
Yes - as I said a factor, but not the single reason. Unless you are implying that Liberty have given Williams an incentive to sign him?

Your claim was that being American was the single reason.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 09:34 (Ref:4131280)   #543
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes - as I said a factor, but not the single reason. Unless you are implying that Liberty have given Williams an incentive to sign him?

Your claim was that being American was the single reason.
OK, the single reason other than (hopefully) qualifying for a Super Licence.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 17:40 (Ref:4131344)   #544
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
OK, the single reason other than (hopefully) qualifying for a Super Licence.
Everyone recalls Scott Speed, right? Primarily, overwhelmingly, chosen because of his nationality (Red Bull backed him as an upcoming breath-of-fresh-air young charger and made great play of him being American).

That ended well.

Hopefully this new chap fares rather better!
Old 25 Oct 2022, 13:51 (Ref:4131409)   #545
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Everyone recalls Scott Speed, right? Primarily, overwhelmingly, chosen because of his nationality (Red Bull backed him as an upcoming breath-of-fresh-air young charger and made great play of him being American).

That ended well.

Helmut Marko also backed mediocre F1 drivers who weren't from the United States, like Enrqiue Bernoldi and Christian Klein. So I don't 100% follow your point in that way.

"Primarily, overwhelmingly, chosen because of his nationality" This is also debatable. It says that Speed finished third in his rookie season of GP2 in 2005, which would have made Speed the most qualified Red Bull junior driver for promotion to Toro Rosso at the time -- far from being promoted merely for nationality.

Speed was then transferred to the troubled (and long discontinued) Red Bull NASCAR team where Speed did relatively well given the limitations of the Red Bull machinery IIRC.

Quote:
de Vries already signed for AlphaTauri, Drugovich (a third season F2 driver anyway) already signed for Aston Martin, out-of-form veteran Ricciardo seems uninterested, and fellow F2 rookie Jack Doohan (who could be loaned from Alpine) doesn't seem to be doing significantly better than Sergeant anyway.

So who else exactly could Williams sign?! If top 3 as a rookie in F2 is not enough for a Williams junior program driver to be promoted to F1, what more do they need to do?!

[Should Antonio Giovinazzi or Mick Schumacher be Williams' number one choice? The former seems a mediocre choice, while a case could be made for the latter especially in combination with 1&1 sponsorship. Although the points don't show it, Schumacher has largely been matching Magnussen for the last 4-5 races IMO.]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 25 Oct 2022 at 14:09.
Old 25 Oct 2022, 14:52 (Ref:4131413)   #546
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

That ended well.

I think it's unfair to say he was chosen only because of his nationality. I'm sure his surname was another reason!
Old 25 Oct 2022, 21:18 (Ref:4131450)   #547
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
So who else exactly could Williams sign?! If top 3 as a rookie in F2 is not enough for a Williams junior program driver to be promoted to F1, what more do they need to do?!
Schumacher, Giovinazzi, Drugovich, Pourchaire, Huelkenberg, Vandoorne, Ricciardo, Shwartzman, Ilott, Kvyat to name ten, although I know some wouldn't be available or work commercially.

I'm sure there's plenty of money involved, whether that's Mr Sargent's, Dorilton's (thinking they'll sign US sponsorship) or Liberty's, or a combination of the above.

Either way I'm sure Bruno will be giving him a bit of extra boost for Abu Dhabi just to make sure of the super licence.
Old 25 Oct 2022, 22:12 (Ref:4131453)   #548
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Logan Corporal has been in the Williams program for a while, it's hardly a surprise.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 14:09 (Ref:4131525)   #549
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Logan Corporal has been in the Williams program for a while, it's hardly a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Helmut Marko also backed mediocre F1 drivers who weren't from the United States, like Enrqiue Bernoldi and Christian Klein. So I don't 100% follow your point in that way.

"Primarily, overwhelmingly, chosen because of his nationality" This is also debatable. It says that Speed finished third in his rookie season of GP2 in 2005, which would have made Speed the most qualified Red Bull junior driver for promotion to Toro Rosso at the time -- far from being promoted merely for nationality.

Speed was then transferred to the troubled (and long discontinued) Red Bull NASCAR team where Speed did relatively well given the limitations of the Red Bull machinery IIRC.

de Vries already signed for AlphaTauri, Drugovich (a third season F2 driver anyway) already signed for Aston Martin, out-of-form veteran Ricciardo seems uninterested, and fellow F2 rookie Jack Doohan (who could be loaned from Alpine) doesn't seem to be doing significantly better than Sergeant anyway.

[Should Antonio Giovinazzi or Mick Schumacher be Williams' number one choice? The former seems a mediocre choice, while a case could be made for the latter especially in combination with 1&1 sponsorship. Although the points don't show it, Schumacher has largely been matching Magnussen for the last 4-5 races IMO.]
How dare any of you besmirch the insider knowledge of only chosen because of nationality
Old 26 Oct 2022, 17:17 (Ref:4131560)   #550
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
How dare any of you besmirch the insider knowledge of only chosen because of nationality