Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Jun 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3098628)   #1726
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
How do you know it was no better with the ugly fin? You have no control sample.

As I said I don't like them, but my challenge here is on the logic. It's the experimental physicist in me.
I go allong with you in your quest for raw provable data, but that's exactly my point. In my opinion, the rulemakers tend to congure up all kinds of 'safety features' without being able to produce the evidence that those modifications actually work.
If I again look at Davidsons crash, I can't help but seeing the ugly fin speeding up the flip instead of preventing it...
Old 26 Jun 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3098644)   #1727
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I go allong with you in your quest for raw provable data, but that's exactly my point. In my opinion, the rulemakers tend to congure up all kinds of 'safety features' without being able to produce the evidence that those modifications actually work.
If I again look at Davidsons crash, I can't help but seeing the ugly fin speeding up the flip instead of preventing it...
How exactly does it speed it up?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3098648)   #1728
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
How exactly does it speed it up?
Obvious really, once the car turns sideways at those speeds, a large sail like area like the current obligatory fin will slow down the top half of the car more forcefull then the lower half, speeding up the capsizing of the entire car. Then ofcourse, as soon as a gap opens up between tarmac and flat undertray, it's all academic...
Old 28 Jun 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3099449)   #1729
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Don't forget with Davidson's crash the left rear wheel had gone, so the right front of the car will correspondingly lift up, allowing the air to get under the car.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3099883)   #1730
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh dear , whats the fix for that then , tracks !!!

You cant argue with the laws of physics , and each accident is differant .

You plan a fix for one type of accident , and it exagerates another type of accident .

Racing is dangerous , get on with it .

Im sick to death of hearing all these opinions ..... you cant plan for an accident , cuz its an accident .

The people who drive these cars do so at their own risk , and we as spectators also enter the premises at our own risk .
Old 30 Jun 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3100172)   #1731
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Old 30 Jun 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3100184)   #1732
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Oh dear , whats the fix for that then , tracks !!!

You cant argue with the laws of physics , and each accident is differant .

You plan a fix for one type of accident , and it exagerates another type of accident .

Racing is dangerous , get on with it .

Im sick to death of hearing all these opinions ..... you cant plan for an accident , cuz its an accident .

The people who drive these cars do so at their own risk , and we as spectators also enter the premises at our own risk .
Unfortunatley it's not the way the world works...
I agree with you, but if we continue to see more airborne accidents where the barriers of the track almost isn't sufficient, then there has to be some sort of reaction, otherwise, what will stop a 1955 accident!?
I would hate to see Motorsport getting banned because there wasn't any adjustment taken to avoid it.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3100197)   #1733
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That was 63 years ago , safety has come a long way since then as we see .

Motorsport is and always will be dangerous , end of .

I dont mean to sound uncaring or crass but ..... accidents are a fact of life , thats why we have speed limits on public roads and traffic lights . Racing is free , so lets not loose it as it is .

What happens when a wheel seperates from the chassis and enteres the crowds ?

What happens when a wing seperates and enteres the crowds ?

What happens when rear body work seperates and enteres the crowds ?

Will we bungy everything to the car or add tracks or what , what do we do !!!

I can go on and on with possible accidents ..... how do you expect to remedy them all ?

You cant , cuz one set of regulations will somehow exagerate another accident .

We have the odd filp , while unfortunatly it happens , we have to except this for fear of becoming wrapped up in cotton wool .

The drivers want more power , the teams want more power , they should know , shouldnt they .

We go to watch racing at our own risk , so lets except it .

We have seen that this fin mod supposedly works , in some cases ..... ask Ant Davidson did it work !!!

End result , you cant remedy the physics of an accident , cuz thats what it is , an accident ..... so how can you plan for something you dont know as each accident is differant .

Oh , I might add , If I get hit by debris from a motorsport accident , I have to except that too , or dont go .
Old 30 Jun 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3100201)   #1734
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
That was 63 years ago , safety has come a long way since then as we see .

Motorsport is and always will be dangerous , end of .

I dont mean to sound uncaring or crass but ..... accidents are a fact of life , thats why we have speed limits on public roads and traffic lights . Racing is free , so lets not loose it as it is .

What happens when a wheel seperates from the chassis and enteres the crowds ?

What happens when a wing seperates and enteres the crowds ?

What happens when rear body work seperates and enteres the crowds ?

Will we bungy everything to the car or add tracks or what , what do we do !!!

I can go on and on with possible accidents ..... how do you expect to remedy them all ?

You cant , cuz one set of regulations will somehow exagerate another accident .

We have the odd filp , while unfortunatly it happens , we have to except this for fear of becoming wrapped up in cotton wool .

The drivers want more power , the teams want more power , they should know , shouldnt they .

We go to watch racing at our own risk , so lets except it .

We have seen that this fin mod supposedly works , in some cases ..... ask Ant Davidson did it work !!!

End result , you cant remedy the physics of an accident , cuz thats what it is , an accident ..... so how can you plan for something you dont know as each accident is differant .

Oh , I might add , If I get hit by debris from a motorsport accident , I have to except that too , or dont go .
Yes, it was 63 years ago, and safety has increased. But so has the speeds.

And i think you misunderstand me. I'm not craving regulation changes or more safety - Not at all. Personally i would love to see the Mulsanne chicanes gone, the "hill" at Hunaudiers back and mostly the BHF, BHH and the narrow rear wing all gone!
I as a huge motorsport fan knows and accepts the risks of going. I've been hit by loads of tire rubber and gravel as an marshall, so i also know that things fly off.

But that doesn't change the fact that many of the people going to motorsport doesn't understand these risks, and especially the family and friends of any one who suffer from these risks won't understand.

As fans of a very dynamic and changing sport, we must accept that safety has to change along with it. This is something that which won't come naturally, but has to be mandated. If you don't believe me, ask any top driver. (Referring to Michael Schumachers work for safety, and Stirling Moss among others)
Old 30 Jun 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3100214)   #1735
The Badger
Veteran

Time out , Ive said my bit .
Old 30 Jun 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3100219)   #1736
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep - this is all getting highly OT. This is the 2012 race thread. These same debates are appearing in virtually every thread now. Let's move on.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3100608)   #1737
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Found this very cool: http://lendurance.co.uk/2012/06/spec...-in-instagram/

Picture album of Le Mans.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3100663)   #1738
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post

Agreed thanks for the find. Really like what these guys are doing at the moment. Classy publications.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3100796)   #1739
Great Dane
Rookie

Denmark
Great Dane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I am in it!
Old 4 Jul 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3101613)   #1740
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
edit
Old 5 Jul 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3102485)   #1741
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Thanks for the link.