Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Jan 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3189956)   #1
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The New Stuff Thread

Following the 2012 thread, I wondered what folks may have acquired to make 2013 a better experience?

I'll kick off with the Cobb BBQ I got for Christmas, which can produce a roast chicken, with all the trimmings... It will be geting a LOT of use first, so I know what it can do!

I'm still unsure if I got a steal of a deal, or not, on the camera front though? Ssamyang 800mm mirror lens. The issue is, it's Manual focus, and VERY quick geared, so all too easy to change the focal point. As it's a fixed f8, this can be very narrow, and ultimately frustrating! I may invest in Gaffer Tape to slow it's gallop. Hopefully I can get some practice with it to confirm if it will work for head on shots... It's a bit physically short, and light, for such a long focal length, and it is NOT easy to use hand held!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3189962)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i have taken my Cobb BBQ down for the last few years, but last year we did have a small problem with it, we were cooking a lovely beef joint with the onions coking in the reservoir in red wine, unfortunately someone decided to keep topping up the red wine not realising that it was overflowing and downing the cobblestone putting it out, dinner ruined. Meat was sliced up and cooked on the bbq. H.owever Cobb will go down this year
This years new item is a heavy duty camping chair as feed up with the flimsy folding ones
Old 16 Jan 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3189972)   #3
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
New radio for me this year to prevent a KKSSHHHHHHH*%^(*^(&^&^ noise every time I move too much.

Let's see if it works.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3190003)   #4
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
We've been using a large gas barbecue now for several years. It takes two large beef joints (one medium-well, one rare) and still has room for the Yorkshire puds. It has the advantage that the heat is fully controllable. Our numbers for 2013 are already in excess of this capacity, so the plan is for two gas barbecues! An alternative is the large slow-cooker we also took last year, which can be plugged into the power supply at our site.

Regarding the heavy-duty camping chair: I've had one of these for years and last year it was joined by a heavy duty camp bed, which, according to its Australian makers, can withstand 30 stones - enough even for the far-from-lightweight Le Vieux.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3190005)   #5
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
New radio for me this year to prevent a KKSSHHHHHHH*%^(*^(&^&^ noise every time I move too much.

Let's see if it works.
I'll be looking for this as well!
Thinking of an iPod Nano (the "old" square one, 6th gen), anyone tried an iPod for Radio at Le Mans?

Otherwise I'll be taking a lot LESS stuff, than the first time

Something extra could be this:
Raincover for Camera (eBay) (Just incase Ayse is wrong )
And a new camping chair. (the last one was stolen)
Old 16 Jan 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3190007)   #6
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Otherwise I'll be taking a lot LESS stuff, than the first time
Speaking of which, what would be the checklist for items for a first-timer? I'm not 100% sure at the moment whether I'll be camping (and with what group, if so) or whether I can manage to find somewhere else to stay through other means, I'll probably know the second bit some time in February.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3190012)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Speaking of which, what would be the checklist for items for a first-timer? I'm not 100% sure at the moment whether I'll be camping (and with what group, if so) or whether I can manage to find somewhere else to stay through other means, I'll probably know the second bit some time in February.
  • CAMERA! (extra batteries) (A good lens with long objective)
  • Battery charger for iPhone (or old phone with a week worth of battery)
  • EU Health insurance card.
  • Toiletpaper (they could run out on the toilets)
  • Chair
  • Warm clothing for the night
  • Sun screen
  • Rain cover (for you)
  • Radio - Good quality
  • Map
  • Spottersguide
Just off the top of my head
If you camp Victor, then there are of course more items to remember.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3190013)   #8
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I'll just have to figure out how to pack everything on the list (plus perhaps a small tent and a sleeping bag) in a piece of luggage that can go on an airplane. That'll be the tough part...
Old 16 Jan 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3190014)   #9
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I'll just have to figure out how to pack everything on the list (plus perhaps a small tent and a sleeping bag) in a piece of luggage that can go on an airplane. That'll be the tough part...
I managed to pack everything in a small Duffel bag + a good volume Ruck sack, and the chair on the side.

Should we have a sticky first timer thread with all the information we got, and new travelers can ask anything they like?.
I'm not a fan of the "This has already been asked, see "x" thread" replies, but it could be good to have everything collected together with the feeling that all questions are welcome.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 17:21 (Ref:3190017)   #10
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And a new camping chair. (the last one was stolen)
Better not leave the new one outside the toilets at Tertre Rouge then. I heard the whole campsite is crawling with crooks and robbers!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3190019)   #11
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Better not leave the new one outside the toilets at Tertre Rouge then. I heard the whole campsite is crawling with crooks and robbers!
Haha!, that is noted .
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3190093)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
That is a complete lie, some of the best crooks and robbers there are teetotal and don't have to crawl whilst some us honest campers have been known to crawl back to our tents in the early hours. Seriously I have only heard of 1 thing going missing on TR itself in all the years i have camped there, although we did watch a rather inept thief struggle to free himself from the barbed wire on the wall top one year, everyone eventually got bored and someone called the french police who took him to hospital before hopefully sending him to jail.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3190111)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Something extra could be this:
Raincover for Camera (eBay) (Just incase Ayse is wrong )
Oh ye of little faith.........

Quote:
I made one up some time ago. You should know where to look by now......
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3190116)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm quite content for someone to start a 'first-timers' thread if they want to - but it will undoubtedly repeat similar threads and questions going back every year probably since Tenths started.....
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3190120)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm quite content for someone to start a 'first-timers' thread if they want to - but it will undoubtedly repeat similar threads and questions going back every year probably since Tenths started.....
I will happily start it.
The point how ever was making it "Sticky" so it will always be on top, and Le Mans Virgins always can find it
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3190124)   #16
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
I made one up some time ago. You should know where to look by now......
Comprehensive... and might not fit in aircraft-acceptable-size luggage. Especially not when returning from the race with souvenirs and new t-shirts. Will come in very handy though when preparing everything. Thanks Ayse.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3190126)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I will happily start it.
The point how ever was making it "Sticky" so it will always be on top, and Le Mans Virgins always can find it

It is within my gift so to do.......
Old 16 Jan 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3190128)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i must agree with Ayse a le mans virgin thread would soon get very messy and it will be hard to find anything in it, the usual threads do have a habit of repeating themselves and to some extent that will always happen better that if people have specific questions they start a new thread and us old hands provide the answers
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3190129)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Comprehensive... and might not fit in aircraft-acceptable-size luggage. Especially not when returning from the race with souvenirs and new t-shirts. Will come in very handy though when preparing everything. Thanks Ayse.

Yeah, true enough - when you're chauffered excellently in a car like me you can take a large grip, another small grip just to contain the camera and other electronic gizmos as well as a large camera rucksack. I mean, I have to have somewhere to put the kettle and the teabags!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3190130)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i must agree with Ayse a le mans virgin thread would soon get very messy and it will be hard to find anything in it, the usual threads do have a habit of repeating themselves and to some extent that will always happen better that if people have specific questions they start a new thread and us old hands provide the answers
Even so, we can give it a try. If it doesn't work, we'll soon realise that. There's nothing to stop us having a 'Le Mans - the FAQ's' thread.....
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3190132)   #21
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
i must agree with Ayse a le mans virgin thread would soon get very messy
By it's very definition!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3190133)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
One of the points is that we get a Thread where all these questions can be asked, without they "hijack" a thread. (hijack being a too harsh a word, as all questions are welcome).

Another point is that with a thread full of Q&A's would be easier for a first timer to look through, than a lot of threads covering the subject.

And finally, I think it would be helpful for us to have all the information in one thread, so we can remember everything when we are asked (personally I find it hard to remember it when someone asks)
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3190135)   #23
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Even so, we can give it a try. If it doesn't work, we'll soon realise that. There's nothing to stop us having a 'Le Mans - the FAQ's' thread.....
I'll steal that title Ayse, hope you don't mind
Quote:
By it's very definition!
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3190136)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Could put some maps in there and things like that.

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/..._situation.jpg
Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3190138)   #25
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Could put some maps in there and things like that.

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/..._situation.jpg
Will do .
Thank you.