Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Jul 2022, 19:34 (Ref:4118362)   #1
chinook220
Rookie

United Kingdom
chinook220 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Returning to marshaling

Hi all,

I’ve been out of orange for 7 years, and looking to come back to the bank.

I obviously need to attend a training day but will I have to register as a trainee again?

Thanks
Old 12 Jul 2022, 17:33 (Ref:4119295)   #2
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too was away for a number of years, due to ill health. Having been an Examining Post Chief I hoped, with a training day to return. But no, according to Motorsport UK I could return but as a trainee again. Decided to stay an armchair supporter. Hope this helps.
Old 16 Jul 2022, 17:30 (Ref:4119677)   #3
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I too was away for a number of years, due to ill health. Having been an Examining Post Chief I hoped, with a training day to return. But no, according to Motorsport UK I could return but as a trainee again. Decided to stay an armchair supporter. Hope this helps.
Sad to read this Chris, happy memories of learning from you in my early days
Old 19 Jul 2022, 21:18 (Ref:4119910)   #4
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Sad to read this Chris, happy memories of learning from you in my early days
Thanks Dave. Good to hear from you.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 19:22 (Ref:4121033)   #5
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had been looking at returning to the bank after 20 years away, but looking at the hoops to jump through with Motorsport UK I have decided not to bother.

I have never wanted to be a flag marshal but it seems to even become a track marshal I need to do at least 2 days flagging, plus two assessments and 4 training modules.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:43 (Ref:4121583)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I had been looking at returning to the bank after 20 years away, but looking at the hoops to jump through with Motorsport UK I have decided not to bother.

I have never wanted to be a flag marshal but it seems to even become a track marshal I need to do at least 2 days flagging, plus two assessments and 4 training modules.
Hi Mark, you'd be surprised at flagging. It can be an enjoyable discipline. If you can read a race, ie remember the first 5/6 cars, when it comes to blues it is easy. Give it a go. If not, and you wish to stay on the bank as a track marshal, then you can say you've tried it.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:53 (Ref:4121585)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a really aggressive & personalised email from the BARC today which wound me up big time. It was about people not turning up after volunteering, something I've never done in 36 years.
An hour later an amended version was sent out after no doubt a torrid of abuse being sent to Thruxton.
Sums up BARC a treat, glad the only time I go to their meetings is when I'm the MUK Steward, be interesting to see if their number of Marshals falls even more, I certainly wont ever volunteer for them again and I'm sure others will do the same.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 19:46 (Ref:4121716)   #8
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sadly, I'm rapidly losing enthusiasm for motor racing, so I think I shall be hanging up my (new and unworn) probans any day now.
Old 5 Aug 2022, 07:28 (Ref:4121843)   #9
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Had a really aggressive & personalised email from the BARC today which wound me up big time. It was about people not turning up after volunteering, something I've never done in 36 years.
An hour later an amended version was sent out after no doubt a torrid of abuse being sent to Thruxton.
Sums up BARC a treat, glad the only time I go to their meetings is when I'm the MUK Steward, be interesting to see if their number of Marshals falls even more, I certainly wont ever volunteer for them again and I'm sure others will do the same.
I had the same e mail and felt the same way, 6 years and neer once not turned up, always managed to get an apology in should I have had to cancel. my BARC days are vvery limited now ut will be less in future.
BARC could talk to the culprits direct not us that are reliable.May be BTCC is not as alluring as they think!
Old 8 Aug 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4122248)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I emailed BARC this morning asking to be taken off their mailing list and had a near instant phone call back, being all apologetic etc.

What made me smile was the caller mentioned that as I was the MSUK Steward @ Donington this weekend, he hoped that this email wouldn't affect my report, as if:
Old 9 Aug 2022, 07:56 (Ref:4122287)   #11
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
Quote:
I emailed BARC this morning asking to be taken off their mailing list and had a near instant phone call back, being all apologetic etc.

What made me smile was the caller mentioned that as I was the MSUK Steward @ Donington this weekend, he hoped that this email wouldn't affect my report, as if:
I don't think BARC know themselves what is happening. I haven't marshalled for over eleven years now, due to ill health, but still receive availability forms and txt's.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:38 (Ref:4122332)   #12
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, I don't think we should confuse a clumsily drafted email with the Club's intentions.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:43 (Ref:4122333)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't confuse jumping through MSUK grading hoops with marshalling. Volunteer for the meetings you want and, provided they are not one of the "important" or very over-subscribed ones, you will be welcome. By all means make sure the organising club's chief marshal knows of your situation. Having said that, things have changed and a training day will help make sure you are up-to-date.

I can assure you that many meetings are BADLY under supplied with marshals.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 12:52 (Ref:4122427)   #14
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I apologise in advance for my presence in race control on Sunday. At least with me on the inside end of the PC/flag radio the surface of "what could possibly go wrong?" is greatly diminished!
Old 11 Aug 2022, 08:38 (Ref:4122505)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We down in the colonies have what is called "Recognised Prior Learning" which should count for something when it comes down to the training requirement hoops to jump through to get back to a minimum grading.

Obviously one who has left should not expect to immediately go back to where they were on the grading ladder straight away.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 10:08 (Ref:4122512)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I apologise in advance for my presence in race control on Sunday. At least with me on the inside end of the PC/flag radio the surface of "what could possibly go wrong?" is greatly diminished!
I shall be listening to you. Points will be awarded as appropriate.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 12:31 (Ref:4122534)   #17
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I shall be listening to you. Points will be awarded as appropriate.
That could be taken as a threat - but I know it isn't really
Old 17 Aug 2022, 20:02 (Ref:4123057)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
/me says quietly...

Looks like I got away with that then!
Old 18 Aug 2022, 07:43 (Ref:4123078)   #19
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
/me says quietly...

Old 19 Aug 2022, 17:49 (Ref:4123212)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
/me says quietly...

It's noted in his little book for bringing out when necessary.
Old 30 Aug 2022, 12:33 (Ref:4124299)   #21
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
We down in the colonies have what is called "Recognised Prior Learning" which should count for something when it comes down to the training requirement hoops to jump through to get back to a minimum grading.

Obviously one who has left should not expect to immediately go back to where they were on the grading ladder straight away.

Agreed. Not on the grading ladder but hopefully more than welcome back to the preferred area where one would like to volunteer. It also serves as a good reminder for clubs and specialty chief to have their contact info easily available so that interested and motivated returnees have no problem contacting them and inform those who need to know about their specifics. I know I would jump at folks who are wanting to get back into marshaling and welcome them with open arms! Then again, the situation over here in the US are rather dire.
Old 16 Sep 2022, 22:28 (Ref:4126287)   #22
Bardie101
Rookie

England
Suffolk
Bardie101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
Sadly, I'm rapidly losing enthusiasm for motor racing, so I think I shall be hanging up my (new and unworn) probans any day now.
Felt the same way myself 4 years ago, so after 18yrs on bank I decided to take a break and spend sometime spectating. Initially was just having a year out enjoyed the free time and freedom to come and go as I please and haven't had the urge to return.
Old 17 Sep 2022, 17:05 (Ref:4126335)   #23
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
This is my 36th and last season, My Wife Elaine and I are moving over to Northern Ireland in retirement and it feels like a good time to say thank you and good night, might carry on Stewarding if MSUK will have me.
Old 17 Sep 2022, 20:57 (Ref:4126358)   #24
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
Quote:
This is my 36th and last season, My Wife Elaine and I are moving over to Northern Ireland in retirement and it feels like a good time to say thank you and good night, might carry on Stewarding if MSUK will have me.
You and Elaine will both be missed. All that experience and knowledge.
Old 18 Sep 2022, 18:11 (Ref:4126438)   #25
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Thanks Chris.
I think after 36 years it's time to say thank you and goodnight.